Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Missing Scenes from the movies

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I sure when comparing the books to the movies, everyone can point out some missing scenes.

For me, I noticed a few scenes from book 5 in movie 5.

Harry talked to Sirius through the common room fireplace more than once. On the final conversation, umbridge's hand came throught the fire and tried to grab Harry. There were more than one session of detention with umbridge.

The movie directors better do good in the next two movies...ESPECIALLY MOVIE 7. They simply cannot cut out any of the scenes ...all of the scenes are good and some particularly important.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Rachel yeah, for movie 5 i really wish they would have put more of the stuff the students did to umbridge in. they made you hate her SOOO much, just as the books did. unlike the books, however, you didn't quite get the sweet taste of revenge that was brought about courtesy of fred and george.

i was really stunned when they left out the explanation of the marauder's map in movie 3. why don't they take an extra 30 seconds to describe who moony, wormtail, padfoot, and prongs are. seriously...it would only take 30 seconds!!!

message 3: by Kirk (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Kirk | 10 comments I agree with both of you. I know why they do it but seriously, why did they have to leave out quidditch in the 5th movie? And how Harry is kicked off and Ron becomes captain and the Weasley is King thing. The quidditch is a main part of book five.

Movie four was just horrible altogether. The others are sooo much better...too much left out.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Yeah, and what about Dobby? He has a very big part in some movies that all lead up to seven. They shouldn't have cut him out. I didn't like the whole Cho Chang thing in the movie either.

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Cindy (supercin721) | 26 comments I agree. The Harry and Sirius relationship had a lot more depth in the books that the films just did not portray. I understand that it was difficult too but, while to a reader his death was so heart-wrenching, I feel like the movie only fans lost something.
Umbridge, I thought, was shown to be the mean, vindictive prim she was in the book. They cut out many scenes but the most important one with Harry and his scar was still prominently featured.
As for Cho Chang, I get annoyed by that. She didn't betray anyone. While they vindicated her by showing it was the truth serum that did it, that NEVER happened in the book. She brought along a friend who ratted them out. That would have been funny to show...an actor with words etched in their face. Then, the trio could have been angry with her because of her choice in friends.
The one cut, though, that Rowling should have fought given her knowledge was Dobby's disappearnce. He has such an integral role in each of the books since #2, helping Harry when it is needed. HE found the ROR! They could have given some air time, said he helped Neville, but instead they cut him. I hope they bring him back full force in Movie 6 or else his death will hold less meaning. He really has been an integral part.

message 6: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Jane I am so glad to find everyone else was as frustrated by Cho's treatment in the 5th movie as I was. It was so ridiculous and contrary to the spirit of changes made by Steve Kloves in the previous movies. He always kept within the spirit and reasonableness of the story, always paying attention to a chosen theme. This guy seemed all cinamatically driven instead. Like when the Order was getting Harry from the Dursley's and they stepped outside and had the brooms fly into their hands - I mean, seriously - it looked good, but it couldn't happen. What, had they and Harry stored their brooms at the neighbors?

message 7: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Tracey i haven't seen Order of the Phoenix yet, and as much as i would like to, i'm a little too miffed at how the previous movies left out so much stuff (or changed it around)! i know that the books are chock-full of details, but when the screenwriters pick & choose what gets kept and what gets pitched, it really messes with the flow of the story. for folks who are new to the phenomenon and haven't read the books, they won't really notice the changes. heck, i'd rather have the movies be a little longer, yet more true to the books, than to have them be shorter and force us to constantly ask, "why did they leave THAT out?"

message 8: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I think Umbridge's character too much air time in the fifth movie. The director spent so much time on umbridge that he forgot the important scenes.

message 9: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I felt like a lot of time was wasted when they showed Filch hanging up every single Decree and him sitting outside the ROR. I wish they had included more of Fred and George's antics in this one. The swamp would have been great.

One thing that really annoyed me in GOF is that there was no mention of Harry winning the prize money, so there is of course no mention of him giving it to the twins to use as start up money for their shop.

I'm also disappointed in the lack of Dobby in the films since COS as well. They haven't even shown him working at Hogwarts in the films.

And I've been really disappointed with the lack of Quidditch in pretty much all of the films except the first and second. *sigh* Let's just make a 10 hour epic and get it over with. :)

message 10: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments honestly, all the movies didn't do justice on the books. maybe becoz the directors have different perspective than the author? but if a movie goer hasn't read the book they would never understand nor appreciate the movie. i had a lot of bad reviews from mates who hasn't read the book and they didn't understand tehe movie at all. it was also hard to explain because i have to refer to what happened in the previous books w/c were left out in the other movies as well. the new dumbledore actor is not even doing dumbledore justice with the acting he is doing. dumbledore was never rough on harry but did anyone of you noticed how harry was treated in hp 4 (movie) when his name came up in the goblet of fire? i was disgusted coz i love, love , love dumbledore. but i love, love, love quidditch even more esp. the finals in book 3 but none of it was done in the movies! how could they????

message 11: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Kenzie I am annoyed. Pidwidgeon still has not showed up.

message 12: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercscraps) | 23 comments I could go on for hours about the things left out. The first movie did a fair job of keeping things in and the second as well but things went off kilter from there.

Movie 3-they really should have explained the Moony, Padfoot, Prongs and Wormtail. That was a key that should have been shown. The fact that the shrieking shack was there for Lupin was a big missing piece. Sure we find out he's a werewolf but the story isn't done right. Oh and where the heck is Pigwidgeon?

Movie 4-Oh yikes. Well first off it was DOBBY who got the Gillyweed for Harry not Neville. And Harry saw more than one trial in the pensieve! Oh and let's not forget the house elf who was found with the wand that made the dark mark in the beginning!

Movie 5-Wowsers. Molly Weasley and the bogart should have been in there. It was a powerful scene in the book and should have been in the movie. Harry talked with Sirius more than just the one time! The COINS that Hermione enchanted, where were the coins? Marietta the witch who REALLY betrayed them?

Movie 6-I was truly disappointed when I watched this one. So many missing things. For one, Dumbledore fetching Harry from the Dursleys and informing him of what he inheirited from Sirius and checking to see if he was Kreacher's master? Or how about the scene where Dumbledore informs Harry that he will be having private lessons with him that year? And there were so many Voldemort memories that they went over in the book that left clues for the horcruxes and all were simply left out!

Movie 7-I felt that they could have spent a little more time showing who RAB was and also shown how Kreacher turned from being a vile elf to actually being helpful to them. Also the radio didn't show up in the book until after Ron returned to them and smashed the locket.

Movie 8-Although they left some things out I felt that this one did a very good job showing most of what was going on. Lupin coming to shell cottage and telling them that he had a son and that Harry was the godfather though was left out and it felt somehow empty because of that. Also Harry used the elder wand to repair his holly phoenix wand and that should have been done before he snapped the elder wand in two.

And there is one thing that I felt was missing from ALL of the movies...PEEVES!!! We never got to see PEEVES!!! I always imagined him something like Slimer from Ghostbusters and would have loved to have seen him in the films.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

absolutely correct

message 14: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercscraps) | 23 comments Just when I thought I couldn't think of more I did. I believe it is either COS or POA that we first meet Hermione's parents in Diagon Alley...being that they are parents of one of the main characters I think we should have had them before DH P1.

Also would have liked to have seen Arthur Weasley destroy the Dursley's living room in the beginning of GOF.

Neville's parents-we meet them and see Lockhart at St Mungo's in OoTP. While the Lockhart bit was just a bit of backpedaling since we'd already met him it would have been grand to see Neville's whole family together instead of just seeing him talk about them while looking at a picture of the original order.

message 15: by kirstin ✿ (new)

kirstin ✿ (shoutohdoroki) I really want to see this scene (HPDH) where Dudley said farewell to Harry, and when he told him something not-so-deep but was really an "Awwwww" moment for them.

message 16: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercscraps) | 23 comments They did do that scene Kirstin but it was greatly abbreviated from what it was in the book. It was cut though so you would find in in the deleted scenes.

message 17: by Books (new)

Books A | 10 comments In like all the movies they cut out scenes. Like in book 4 Hermione discovered that Rita Skeeter was an animungous and cought her with glasses on as a beetle

message 18: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercscraps) | 23 comments That was another "missed" opportunity. Another was Winky the house elf that belonged to the Crouch family. Although her story brought on Hermione the activist and "SPEW" which I didn't miss in the movies.

message 19: by Mmh (new)

Mmh | 2 comments In the last movie I kinda thought the death of Voldemort was wrong. He turns into these flakes and disappears ... And in the books he dies and his body is left there - like a normal muggle!! Nothing left of his magical powers and he's just dead like everyone else and I think that that's such a great picture and the symbols in this scene are epic! But in the movie they let him keep his mystery and uniqueness, which I think is wrong - even Dumbledore leaves a body like everyone else! In death Voldemort was nothing more than a normal man, which I thought was a beautiful symbol that should not have been forgotten/ changed.

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia | 275 comments I missed the scene where Remus and Harry argue at Grimmauld Place(7th book).

message 21: by Lainey (new)

Lainey (Laineybell1234) | 36 comments In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, they leave out the mural in Luna's room of her friends. I really wanted to see that because it shows how much Luna appreciates her friendships.

message 22: by Sabreen (new)

Sabreen | 31 comments There's a bunch on this tumblr.

message 23: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 14 comments I agree with Kirk, the fourth movie was pretty much a fail. The acting wasn't very good (yet), Dumbledore was too loud and thunderous all the time, and the whole movie seemed like it was running on fast forward, and yet still missing so many crucial bits from the book. Also, a lot of events were completely out of order. They made it work, kindof, but it changed the story. The fifth movie was a huge improvement after that.

message 24: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Reilly | 14 comments My biggest disappointment was the Goblet of Fire. It had so many details that they should have mad two movies out of it like they did with the DH. They had the fans, so making money wouldn't have been an issue. They could have satisfied readers and their pockets alike by staying true to the book and keeping Dobby as an integral part of it.

That being said JK Rowling has stated that peeves was really just comic relief but his presence was missed in the films.

message 25: by Bumba (new)

Bumba | 47 comments i missed the memories shown by Dumbledore to Harry through the Pensieve in HP6;i mean there were lots of those;And where is MEROPE and TOM RIDDLE sr!!!

message 26: by Billie-jade (new)

Billie-jade | 1 comments I miss the stand off right at the end of the 7th book in front of everyone and then all the house elves running in to help I wanted to see everyones reaction when they found out that they had been hunting horcruxes :(