Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Tina in Taiwan's 50 in 2010

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:11PM) (new)

Tina 50 seems like a doable number ;-)

January 2010

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 1/15
2. The Queen's Secret 1/19
3. The Six Wives of Henry VIII 1/20
4. The Memoirs of Cleopatra 1/23
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) (eBook) by Stieg Larsson The Queen's Secret (Queens of England, #7) by Jean Plaidy The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

message 2: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Tina 5. 2/3 The Sunne in Splendour

Absolutely, positively a fantastic book! Highly recommend it! The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman

message 3: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Tina 6. 2/4 The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Good book, very fast read. Probably won't stick with me forever, but was good nonetheless. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

message 4: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:08PM) (new)

Tina 7. 2/4 The Lovely Bones

It came as a recommendation to me, so I was surprised that I didn't really like it. Didn't hate it, but definitely didn't like it. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

message 5: by Annette (new)

Annette | 30 comments Tina wrote: "5. 2/3 The Sunne in Splendour

Absolutely, positively a fantastic book! Highly recommend it!"

A friend gave this book to me when I was going through chemo. There were times when I had to take a break from it, but ultimately finished it (and chemo)! I agree with you, it is amazing and well worth the read.

message 6: by Dick (last edited Feb 06, 2010 10:05PM) (new)

Dick Wilkin (PapaBear77) | 15 comments I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire. Both were a little heavy at times, but the main characters are pretty riveting. I am waiting to get the third book. I was in Ireland last summer and Larsson's books were displayed everywhere.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Glad you liked it too! And that your chemo is done :-)

Annette wrote: "Tina wrote: "5. 2/3 The Sunne in Splendour

Absolutely, positively a fantastic book! Highly recommend it!"

A friend gave this book to me when I was going through chemo. There were times when I h..."

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina I did like the main characters too. . . I haven't yet picked up the sequel, but maybe after I whittle down my to-read list!

Dick wrote: "I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire. Both were a little heavy at times, but the main characters are pretty riveting. I am waiting to get the third bo..."

message 9: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:07PM) (new)

Tina 8. 2/9 The Food Rules Interesting, but very short. I did pick up tidbits and am now thinking I might have to read one of his longer books. . .
Food Rules An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

message 10: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:08PM) (new)

Tina 9. 2/10 Third times a charm [image error] I liked the other books in the series better than this one. . .
10. 2/10 Wolf Hall I've been reading WH for awhile now and finally finished today. I feel like celebrating :-) Didn't love it, but didn't hate it. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

message 11: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:07PM) (new)

Tina 11. 2/14 Forever Amber I think this is the first book ever that I'm able to say that it captivated me--even though I hated the main characters!

I loved it that the author was able to evoke strong emotions in me-my dislike and repulsion of Amber and Bruce. I appreciated her portrayal of historical Britain. I'm glad I read it, I won't likely forget it, but don't think I would ever pick it up again. Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

message 12: by Tina (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:12PM) (new)

Tina 12. 2/15 Summer of the midnight sun Summer of the Midnight Sun (Alaskan Quest Series, #1) by Tracie Peterson

It was a free book on Kindle. While I do enjoy some Christian fiction, this one wasn't necessarily my cup of tea.

13. 2/16 Treason Treason (Navy Justice Series, The) by Don Brown

Another free book on kindle. This one was ok-I enjoyed it enough to read another of his books.

14. 2/16 Hostage Hostage (Navy Justice Series, The) by Don Brown
Again, another free kindle book. Farfetched, but good enough to send me back to read the next in the series (another free one).

message 13: by Tina (last edited Feb 16, 2010 07:03AM) (new)

Tina 15. 2/16 Defiance Glad I'm finished with the free series. Defiance (The Navy Justice Series) by Don Brown

16. 2/16 Sweetwater Gap I enjoyed this book--the characters and their struggles were believable. Sweetwater Gap (Women of Faith, #1) by Denise Hunter

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina 17. 2/17 Fireflies in December Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent

She had me at the first line "The summer I turned thirteen, I thought I'd killed a man." Great book! I recommend it for a fast, yet worthwhile, read.

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina 18. 2/19 The Bible Jesus Read

Philip Yancey never fails to challenge what I think I know. This book takes a look at various chapters of the Old Testament, and makes them applicable to the modern man. The Bible Jesus Read by Philip Yancey

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina 19. Imperium by Robert Harris

Great start to the trilogy! Imperium A Novel of Ancient Rome by Robert Harris

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina 20. The Children of Henry VIII by Allison Weir
Fantastic book! Love her writing--nonfiction reads like a novel.

The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina 21. The Cellist of Sarajevo
Would recommend it to anyone.
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Callahan | 56 comments Tina, I hadn't hear of this title and just checked it out. I KNOW I'll love it. Thanks for recommending it.

Sheila

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina 22. The Hunger Games

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina 23. The Apothecary's Daughter

I picked this up for free for my kindle on amazon. To be honest, I didn't expect it to be good. To my surprise, I was was pleasantly entertained.

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina Sheila wrote: "Tina, I hadn't hear of this title and just checked it out. I KNOW I'll love it. Thanks for recommending it.

Sheila"

You'll have to let me know what you think. . .

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina 24. The Handmaid's Tale

I'm sad. I really wanted to like it more than I did. . . it was just ok for me.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina 25. The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexandar

It was a good read--makes me want to read more about really happened to the Nicholas and his family.

The Kitchen Boy A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexander

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina 26. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I enjoyed how well the author really knows human relationships/interactions. The characters were very real--even with more insight into themselves and their reactions that I think most humans have. A good read.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina 27. The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

Good as always--I so enjoy both Weir's fiction and non-fiction.
The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

message 27: by Tina (new)

Tina 28. Get out of that Pit by Beth Moore

I listened to this on audio--it was nice to hear Beth read it. As for the book itself, it was pretty good-gave some practical advice about getting ourselves out of the messed up situations we often find ourselves in.

Get Out of That Pit! Straight Talk about God's Deliverance by Beth Moore

message 28: by Tina (last edited Mar 15, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

Tina 29. The Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley and Ron Powers

Moving, inspiring, humbling. Thanks to all the servicemen and women who give their life in service for their country.

Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina 30. The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

Moran has this brilliant way of sweeping me right into the far-off time and place that she writes about. Brilliantly written, fantastic read. Highly recommend.

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina 31. The Migraine Brain by Dr. Carolyn Bernstein

As someone who is moving past the 'soldiering through them' to the 'not putting up with them any longer', this book was helpful. I appreciated Dr. Bernstein's writing--she was never over clinical, instead (as a migraine sufferer herself), was courteous and candid. She gave helpful suggestions and charts. I am ready to hop on a flight and book a session with her! I recommend this to anyone who suffers from migraines.

The Migraine Brain The Breakthrough Guide for Healing Your Headache by Carolyn Bernstein

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina 32. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

I fell in love with the BBC adaptation of North and South, so it shouldn't surprise me that the book would be all that and more. The only thing I wish were different was that after Ms. Gaskell's careful leading for the romance between Margaret and Mr. Thompson to be realized, the ending is rather abrupt! I wish we had more--I didn't want it to end--the proof a a great book.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina 33. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Sad, moving book about the plight of a village against the plague.

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

message 33: by Tina (last edited Mar 24, 2010 05:21PM) (new)

Tina 34. Hostile Intent by Michal Walsh

Free on kindle. Gave it two stars.

Hostile Intent by Michael Walsh

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina 35, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. Refreshing read ****

Saving Ceecee Honeycutt A Novel by Beth Hoffman

message 35: by Tina (last edited Mar 31, 2010 11:45PM) (new)

Tina 36. Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock ****

37. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom ***** Unforgettable book.

Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

message 36: by Tina (new)

Tina 38. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde ***

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde

message 37: by Tina (last edited Apr 02, 2010 02:04AM) (new)

Tina 39. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini ***** one of my rare five star books. Loved it!

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

message 38: by Tina (last edited Apr 06, 2010 07:54PM) (new)

Tina 40. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier Another ***** star book! I've heard DuMaurier compared to Bronte--rightly so. . . this books ranks right up there with Jane Eyre in the romantic suspense category.

[image error]

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina 41. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini Wow. ***** stars. What journey Laila and Mariam took me on.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

message 40: by Tina (last edited Apr 17, 2010 09:47PM) (new)

Tina 42. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield **** stars. I was surprised by the plot, highly enjoyed it.

43. Avalon by Anya Seton *** I wanted to enjoy this more than I did.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield Avalon A Novel by Anya Seton

message 41: by Tina (new)

Tina 44. The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper. **** stars. I quite enjoyed reading about Mary Boleyn.

The Last Boleyn A Novel by Karen Harper

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina 45. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

message 43: by Tina (new)

Tina 46. The Heart & Soul of the Next Generation by Michael Bradley

The Heart & Soul of the Next Generation Extraordinary Stories of Ordinary Teens by Michael J. Bradley

message 44: by Tina (last edited May 02, 2010 01:21AM) (new)

Tina 47. Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn **** stars Distracting, entertaining, served its purpose as a light read.

Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia, #1) by Deanna Raybourn

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina 48. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley

message 46: by Tina (new)

Tina 49. The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough

There are some books that just leave me in awe. This was one of them. I'm amazed at the meticulous research, crafted writing, and skilled storytelling. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the Rome series.

The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome, #1) by Colleen McCullough

message 47: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Tess I think it's time for you to aim for the 100 books a year! :)

message 48: by Tina (last edited May 09, 2010 07:28AM) (new)

Tina Stacie wrote: "I think it's time for you to aim for the 100 books a year! :)"

LOL. I realized that too and am in that group as well, but couldn't abandon my 50 group! :)

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Tess Tina wrote: "Stacie wrote: "I think it's time for you to aim for the 100 books a year! :)"

LOL. I realized that too and am in that group as well, but couldn't abandon my 50 group! :)"

I wish I had more time to read! There are so many books that look intriguing, but life gets in the way! :)

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina 50. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom ***** stars. I stayed up wayyyyy too late to finish this one! Am paying for it this morning, but it was worth it! The character development made the book. Wonderful book, highly recommended.

The Kitchen House A Novel by Kathleen Grissom

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Treason (other topics)
Hostage (other topics)
Summer of the Midnight Sun (other topics)
Forever Amber (other topics)
Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (other topics)
More...