Christian Readers discussion

Has anyone read Heaven by Randy Alcorn?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Debbie | 4 comments I am reading it now and find it to be very thought provoking. He makes you think about the possiblities of what heaven will be like. There are chapters about what we will do in heaven. Will there be animals in heaven? What we will look like, etc.

message 2: by Debi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Debi | 1 comments I read it when I was visiting my daughter in Snoqualmie but had to read it quickly to finish it before I left. I want to reread it at a more leisurely pace. It was very good but I think it would be good to read and journal with it.

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Debbie | 4 comments I went to his website and ordered a study guide to go with it. I have been reading a little of it each time. It has taken a while, but I feel that I have really learned alot more from it.

message 4: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Rob | 3 comments Just read Don Piper's book... he's been there...

I apologize for my sarcasm.

message 5: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 4 comments not yet but i want to. have heard mixed reviews on it but like with anything else, you need to read it with a grain of salt.

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Not yet, but I'm over halfway through my second novel by Alcorn and I in both books, I really like the way he portrays heaven. I'd like to read the whole book to find out how he sees it.

message 7: by Hetty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Hetty | 6 comments Not yet, but there are also some books related to this book such as Heaven is so Real by Choo Thomas and A Divine Revelation of Heaven by Mary K. Baxter. both of them also have been there. if the testimony according to the bible, they have the same meaning and the same vision, because they are reveal to one person and to another. just like puzzle, they are completing one to another.

message 8: by Caroline (last edited Jan 28, 2008 05:52PM) (new)

Caroline Hogan (fishnoises) | 4 comments We are studying at my Women's Bible study. I have only read the first 2 sections. After you get over the realization that we will be living here on earth in our resurrected bodies and not floating around on clouds playing harps for eternity, then you realize that what you want to do in this life is not so important. (There'll be plenty of time for that in eternity!) I am not so concerned or anxious about what Heaven will be like as much as I am about what I am doing with my time NOW. I definitely see the real purpose for us as believers to share our faith more, and live a purpose filled life on a daily basis.

message 9: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Nabors | 1 comments I am currently reading it, and have found it extremely thought provoking. It is allowing me to study my own ideas of Heaven and perhaps gain a new perspective.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (lhmosca) I have it but I'm waiting to get my study guide to go with it.

message 11: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Rouxel (rouxel) | 13 comments I havent heard of it until now...I feel compelled to read it. Particularly considering I just had a very bizarro conversation with my four year old concerning animals in heaven. Apparently God told her in a dream they would all be rainbow coloured!!! Hmmm, Think I'll wait and see before I cling to that theological perspective.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Radisavljevic (barbrad) | 9 comments Is there anything in that book about children in heaven? I never used to think much about heaven -- seemed so far off -- until my 14-year-old son rode there on a jet ski. All of a sudden, I became very interested in what goes on in heaven, since I guess moms always want to know what their kids are doing. And we moms with children there wonder if they stay the age they were when they went or whether we will all be the same age there -- stuff like that. I had always thought this book was non-fiction, since I've read that it helped a lot of bereaved parents. Never occurred to me that it was a novel. I'm not familiar with most of the Christian writers post 1981. That's when I left the Christian bookstore I'd worked in for nine years and where I could take anything home and read it. I'm currently plodding through Probing Heaven: Key Questions on the Hereafter by John Gilmore. It's definitely nonfiction, and I'm only on Chapter 5. It aims to provide Biblical answers to questions about heaven in a historical context. It's not light reading, but it's not just for theologians, either.

message 13: by Kymberly (new)

Kymberly (freedom2fly) | 109 comments Mod
Barbara, Sounds very interesting. I am so sorry about the loss of your son. My heart goes out to you. I don't know much about heaven, all I know is that I can't wat to be there. We have 5 children with the Lord so, I see them playing tag with Jesus and sitting around him listening to Him tell Bible stories. They are happy and content and waiting till God calls me home. This sounds like an interesting book. I think I'll check it out.

message 14: by Kymberly (new)

That sounded wrong. sorry. I don't know much about heaven. The Bible speaks about Hell more than Heaven. I think that is because God wants us to know what the alternative is like to be without Him. So if we don't choose Him then He fully warned us. Like a parent that teaches their children consequences over rewards. As a child I remember my parents trying to teach me right from wrong. I knew that I would get punished from my Dad for doing certain things but, sin is so glamerous and looks like fun. Thinking oh the spanking or the grounding would be worth it. So I jumped in and got bit so, to speak. I wish they would of told me more about consequences that come along with the sin. Sorry I just went off on a tangent, didn't I? All I do know is that HEAVEN is going to be wonderful because God is going to be there. And HELL is horrible because God isn't going to be there.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissawd1974) | 8 comments Barbara,
I am also really sorry to hear about your son. I lost my brother 2yrs & 11months ago. My mom is still having a really rough time. IMO, she is looking for answers in the wrong places and does not talk about God, Jesus, or her Faith. Of course she says she believes, and we all believe that he is in Heaven (he was a Born Again believer). Wow, this isn't about me!!! Sorry, i have a bad habit of doing that :(
One book that i found interesting is "55 Answers to Questions About Life After Death" by Mark Hitchcock. He backs up his answers with The Bible and he is a Pastor at a Bible Church in Oklahoma. I have found some comfort in reading it.
Hope i have been some help! :)
Melissa

message 16: by Kymberly (new)

I am sorry for your loss of your brother. I will be praying for you and your family. I didn't talk about God, my faith, or my loss of my chidren... for many many years. Over 10 years. It's hard. Be patient with her and pray for her. How old was your brother? I do have a book I loved. Grieving Forward: Embracing Life Beyond Loss Even though my children weren't older as her son was; I still find that the her story help me understand mine a little more. I hope you and your mom like it as much as I did. God's Peace.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekellemen) | 5 comments I have read Randy's book "Heaven" several times. As a seminary professor, I personally think it is THE best book on the topic. It is biblical and practical. It blends scholarship and creative writing skills. It was and is a tremendous encouragement to my faith, helping me to live life with spiritual eyes.

Bob Kellemen