Bridge to Terabithia Bridge to Terabithia discussion

Why do the girls have to die?!?!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma I don't get it! She was a main part of the book. It made the ending sad. I don't like sad endings. This is still a good book, but I think the girl shouldn't die.

Scott Leslie's death is the whole point of the book.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Leslie's death was pretty much the whole point of the book; it was being foreshadowed throughout the novel...

message 4: by Sophia (new) - added it

Sophia I was so mad.

Melanie Kilsby This was the most troublesome book I had to read in school and disturbed me for many years...actually to this day. I almost stopped reading books altogether from it...

So sad and no hope...
I didn't understand the point of it all????
Do you?

Kelseyc Well, death is real and sadness is real and girls die and boys die in reality so I loved the ending. Too many books are cushioned and perfect but this one was was realistic which i appreciated.

message 7: by Melanie (last edited Sep 10, 2014 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie Kilsby Kelseyc wrote: "Well, death is real and sadness is real and girls die and boys die in reality so I loved the ending. Too many books are cushioned and perfect but this one was was realistic which i appreciated."

Totally agree actually...based my book Reality; Darkness into Light on the very real realities of life. Though, I feel that Jesus is real too and we can portray that reality as well. Books can have a very real hope!

Many people encounter death...I have. It wasn't an end-all for me...though super sad. At that time, I didn't know Christ and this was one of my closest family members but, I still longed for heaven naturally for their untimely death in my heart. As a child I searched and questioned, seeking hope.

This book just left me empty and sad.

Taylor Comisky After I think about it Terabithia kind of sounds like heaven because she dies... This book is very sad though, I kinda dried at the end.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

When I watched the movie, I was quite surprised that she died. Most children's books don't involve deaths. I read the book later on so I was expecting the death. It was sad she had to die, but as many people said, that's what the book was about.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

When I watched the movie, I was quite surprised that she died. Most children's books don't involve deaths. I read the book later on so I was expecting the death. It was sad she had to die, but as many people said, that's what the book was about.

Cierra and Alexa Petersen Leslie dies because the Authors best friend died when she was young, she got hit by lightning.

Melody Perhaps you could rename this thread.. the name it's self is a spoiler.

The only reason to read this book is to learn about loss. I, like many children, had to learn about loss because my father died when I was very small. We read this as a class and it was a turning point for me. Having my classmates gain some insight into that painful experience helped me to feel less alienated.

message 13: by Lunar (last edited Dec 17, 2014 12:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lunar I remember reading this when I was about 10 and I was so heartbroken... I had experienced death in the real world but this was just so tragic to me it stuck in my mind as a book that left an impact on me, now almost 30 years later. Life isn't always all roses. This was such a magical and tragic story all wrapped into one cover. Excellent writing that should be exactly what it is - a lesson in life, love, loss, creativity, and the power of imagination.

message 14: by Yaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yaa I loved it at the beginning but I kinda hated it in the end because of Leslie's death.

Arianne I didn't know Leslie's death was foreshadowed although out the book. O.o

message 16: by Holly (last edited Jan 16, 2015 01:50PM) (new) - added it

Holly I think that the book actually would not have been as enjoyable as it was if Leslie hadn't died. Why do I say this?

If Leslie hadn't passed, I don't think that the readers would have felt Jess's love for Leslie. He only really knew how much he loved her after she was gone, and I feel that this is a real-life senario.

The book would have a sequel, and (in my opinion) the sequels sometimes ruin the magic of the first book.

What I am getting at here is that (if you enjoyed the book) the plot and story would've ended completely different, and sometimes that affects our love for books. Therefore, although sad, Leslie's death was intended, and the story would not be as wonderful as it is if Leslie hadn't died.

message 17: by Kelly Brigid ♡ (last edited Jan 13, 2015 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly Brigid ♡ aryan ♔ wrote: "I didn't know Leslie's death was foreshadowed although out the book. O.o"

I watched the movie before I read the book, so I was expecting her death, but the one scene that foreshadowed her death the most, was when Jess' younger sister (sorry, I forgot her name, I think it was Mary-ann?) was speaking with Leslie about the Bible. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read this book), the little sister tells Leslie that she's worried what would happen to her(Leslie) if she died, because she wasn't Christian.

EDIT: May Belle :)

ᏒIᎪ Cierra and Alexa wrote: "Leslie dies because the Authors best friend died when she was young, she got hit by lightning."

Actually, the author's SON's best friend died.

Scott Holly wrote: "♪~Kelly~♪ wrote: "Yes. This just shows how smart kids are. May Belle knew something was up. Saying something about heaven and her (Leslie) death."

May Belle didn't know anything; she was just parroting back her indoctrination. It may have been foreshadowing in a literary sense, but the girl is not a fortune-teller.

Karen I read this book when I was ten. I always appreciated Paterson's books as a kid because she didn't shy away from tough subjects. I had a rough childhood--nobody died, but it was nasty in other ways. It was such a relief to read stories like this one where kids were going through hard stuff and handling it as best they could, stories where the author portrayed difficult situations with depth and great empathy. It made me feel less alone at a time when I felt like I didn't have anyone to confide in.

Scott Same here, Karen.

message 22: by J (new) - rated it 2 stars

J A Emma wrote: "I don't get it! She was a main part of the book. It made the ending sad. I don't like sad endings. This is still a good book, but I think the girl shouldn't die."

I don't like sad endings either. Life is fraught with them, so why should we have them inflicted upon us in books we read for recreation and pleasure? I once had a teacher who didn't believe anything with a happy ending could be considered quality literature. Pretty pompous presumption if you ask me.

Scott The ending is actually uplifting.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelseyc wrote: "Well, death is real and sadness is real and girls die and boys die in reality so I loved the ending. Too many books are cushioned and perfect but this one was was realistic which i appreciated."

Agreed. I cried at the end which made it seem real.

Kaarah I watched the movie when I was young and to say I didn't cry when Leslie dies is a big fat lie, in grade eight I had to read the book as part of an assignment even though grade eight is a young age to be critical about a book I have to say that the book is way sadder and emotional than the movie. Watching the movie kinda did spoil the book but I still cried when I reached the part of where she died.

message 26: by Theresa (last edited Apr 28, 2015 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa Leslie's death is sad but I have to agree it is the main part of the book. It would be kinda boring if it wouldn't have happened in the book. It was sad but I didn't cry and I can't figure out why. It made me really sad.

Arianne ✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "aryan ♔ wrote: "I didn't know Leslie's death was foreshadowed although out the book. O.o"

I watched the movie before I read the book, so I was expecting her death, but the one scene that foreshado..."

Ohhh... so that what's it's all about. Thanks! :)

Zaida I thought this book was amazing, absolutley beautiful from start to finish. This summer I will read it to my nieces although it's sad and heartbreaking it is also heartwarming. My favorite book to this day.

message 29: by Reader (new)

Reader Yes death is real. But most readers are 8-10 years you can't just kill the main character even if your son's best friend died . I mean :
If you can create a magical world why the heck does someone have to die???
The book is awesome from start almost to the end.
Death is real, magic not. And you can't have them in the same book so just change it to: magic is real and death isn't.

Lesley Arrowsmith Of course you can have death and magic in the same book, even for 8 to 10 year olds. Ever hear of Charlotte's Web?
Leslie died in this book because it was based on a real incident.

message 31: by Reader (new)

Reader I just thing that it seems out of place.