75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2010 Completed) > Will's 75 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #1: Lincoln's Dreams - Connie Willis - 4 Stars

At first it just seemed like a fast forwarded version of Passage, but then it lost its momentum. Good, but not as good as some of her others.

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #2: Transmetropolitan Vol. 2: Lust for Life - Warren Ellis - 4 Stars

Something missing as compared to Volumes 1 and 0, but still great stuff.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #3: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Simon Winchester - 5 Stars

Really good stuff. I never really thought about the source of a dictionary, but that is an enormous amount of work, and makes for a really good story, especially with such eccentric characters.

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #4: Me of Little Faith - Lewis Black - 3 Stars

I could definitely hear him yelling through the pages. It was good, but some of it was a bit too much on the serious side on his experiences with religion. Interesting, but not really what I was looking for. Still some good comedy in there, but didn't work for me overall.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 134 comments Will wrote: " #3: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Simon Winchester - 5 Stars

Really good stuff. I never r..."

I agree. I picked this up off a friends shelf when we were staying at their house for vacation and read it a day and a half. It is a fascinating bit of history.

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #5: Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson - 4 Stars

It was fun, and exciting, but throughout his journey he jumped from adventure to adventure and it could have been more fluid. Good, but it was no Treasure Island.

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #6: Witches Abroad - Terry Pratchett - 4 Stars

A fun witches book. Funny, but I feel like it went a little overboard in some places. Good ending, but definitely not of the best in the series.

message 8: by Karol (new)

Karol Will wrote: " #3: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Simon Winchester - 5 Stars

Really good stuff. I never r..."

I'm adding this to my "To Read" list!

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #7: Remake - Connie Willis - 4 Stars

A quick read, and definitely different than her other works that I have read, but fun.

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #8: Transmetropolitan Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard - Warren Ellis - 5 Stars

Always a tossup as to what's better, the art or the writing. It's a tough, because they're both grotesquely amazing.

message 11: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #9: Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut - 5 Stars

This was my first Kurt Vonnegut book, and I really enjoyed it. It started out fairly normal and got odder and odder. Some pretty bizarre characters, and now I might convert to Bokononism.

message 12: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Will wrote: " #9: Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut - 5 Stars

This was my first Kurt Vonnegut book, and I really enjoyed it. It started out fairly normal and got odder and odder. Some p..."

I have a few of his on my TBR list, I can't wait to get to them! =)

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #10: A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail - Bill Bryson - 5 Stars

This was really good. I'm now inspired to hike the Appalachian trail, hopefully from start to finish. Going to aim for when I finish the PhD. Amazingly written.

Hmm, 10 books in 2 months, good, but I'm going to have to pick up the pace a little bit.

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Will wrote: " #10: A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail - Bill Bryson - 5 Stars

This was really good. I'm now inspired to hike the Appalachian trail, hopef..."

This one looks really,really good!

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
I have this one on my shelf to read so I'm thrilled to hear that it inspired you Will.

message 16: by Alecia (new)

Alecia Will,

I read A Walk in the Woods 2 years ago. I resisted, as I am no hiker, and I just couldn't see myself liking it. But it was terrific, and very, very funny. I gave it to my brother and son and gifts. I won't hike the Appalchian Trail, but I loved the book!

message 17: by Will (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:52PM) (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #11: Lords and Ladies - Terry Pratchett - 4 Stars

A very fun witches book with an exciting introduction to the elves. Lot of action, lot of humor, but a lot of satire was lost on me, having never read a midsummer night's dream. I'll rectify that pronto, and probably reread this soon.

message 18: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #12: Eric - Terry Pratchett - 3 Stars

Disappointing. Rincewind just doesn't work as well without the rest of the wizardry. In fact, I'm not sure if there was any mention of him actually being a wizard in this one, despite all the sorcery.

Something was just missing compared to other Discworlds.

message 19: by Will (last edited Mar 16, 2010 02:08PM) (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #13: The History of Time: A Very Short Introduction - Leofranc Holford-Strevens - 2 Stars

It was informative, but not very fun, which is a lot different from the other Very Short Introduction that I read (Astronomy).

message 20: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #14: The Misanthrope - Molière - 2 Stars

A quick read, but not a great one. For a comedy, it didn't do too much for me, a line here and there, but it fell short. It took me a while to decide if I liked it or not, which led me to realize that if I had to decide for that long, I probably didn't.

message 21: by Will (last edited Mar 16, 2010 04:27PM) (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #15: Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn - 5 Stars

This was a really fun read. An absurd concept and an excellent execution. I can't imagine how hard it would be to write a book, but not be able to use certain letters.

message 22: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #16: The Mystery of the Aleph: Mathematics, the Kabbalah, and the Search for Infinity - Amir D. Aczel - 4 Stars

Very fun story about the mathematical development of infinity. The introduction to Kabbalah in the beginning was super interesting, I'll have to look into that more deeply. Great mini-biographies of mathematicians associated.

message 23: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #17: Transmetropolitan Vol. 4: The New Scum - Warren Ellis - 5 Stars

The presidential campaign storyline was starting to get old, but this was really good, the best one in a few volumes. Part of me really wants to live in Spider's future.

message 24: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #18: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami - 5 Stars

This was really amazing. Great story with extremely interesting characters. Watching all of the different stories converge was really fun, and it worked really well. Highly recommended.

message 25: by Karol (new)

Karol Will wrote: " #15: Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn - 5 Stars

This was a really fun read. An absurd concept and an excellent execution. I can't imagine how hard it would be to write a boo..."

OK, I've added this one to my "To Read" list. I was resisting that, but you talked me into it.

message 26: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #19: The Time Machine - H.G. Wells - 5 Stars

I was skeptical for the first 10 pages or so, then it took off, and wow. I'm still just not sure if he's a really great storyteller or not.

message 27: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #20: Transmetropolitan Vol. 5: Lonely City - Warren Ellis - 4 Stars

The first couple issues of this volume were very different from the standard, but once it leapt to the storyline of Spider working on his revenge, it really took off for me.

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Will wrote: " #19: The Time Machine - H.G. Wells - 5 Stars

I was skeptical for the first 10 pages or so, then it took off, and wow. I'm still just not sure if he's a really great..."

I have this in my to be read one day list!!! Glad to hear you liked it!!

message 29: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Will wrote: " #18: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami - 5 Stars

This was really amazing. Great story with extremely interesting characters. Watching all of the different stories con..."

This one looks really good!

message 30: by Will (last edited Apr 02, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #21: Island - Aldous Huxley - 4 Stars

I've been reading a lot of island utopias recently. Man crash lands on an island utopia and learns their ways. I should read his other work too.

message 31: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #22: Transmetropolitan Vol. 6: Gouge Away - Warren Ellis - 5 Stars

Really great buildup, and it left me very excited to get my hands on the next volume.

message 32: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #23: Men at Arms - Terry Pratchett - 5 Stars

This has now taken over Feet of Clay as my favorite Discworld book. (But it's still in a close second.) It was really fun throughout, but as soon as the troll went superconducting, I fell in love. You're a brilliant man, Terry Pratchett.

message 33: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #24: Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmond Rostand - 4 Stars

Very interesting, one of the weirder plays I've ever read. Martyrdom at its finest.

message 34: by Will (last edited Apr 10, 2010 10:12PM) (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #25: Power Up - Doug TenNapel - 4 Stars

Really funny story, fun art by the guy who made Earthworm Jim. Quick read, but good stuff.

message 35: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #26: V for Vendetta - Alan Moore - 4 Stars

Great storytelling. Already knew the story from having seen the movie, but still a very enjoyable read.

message 36: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Will wrote: " #26: V for Vendetta - Alan Moore - 4 Stars

Great storytelling. Already knew the story from having seen the movie, but still a very enjoyable read."

Woa!! I didn't know this was a book!!! I loved the movie....now I gotta read the book...I always like to do both to compare and contrast...to see how Hollywood butchers certain books...lol

message 37: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #27: Transmetropolitan Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash - Warren Ellis - 5 Stars

This series just keeps getting better and better.

message 38: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #28: Transmetropolitan Vol. 8: Dirge - Warren Ellis - 5 Stars

I love his change in character. The only sad part is that I'm getting close to the end.

message 39: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #29: Marabou Stork Nightmares - Irvine Welsh - 5 Stars

Fantastic, but not for the faint of heart, it's pretty gruesome, and gets more and more intense later in the book. I really like reading the raw Scottish dialect, and now I must go read everything else he's ever written.

message 40: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #30: The Prince and the Pauper - Mark Twain - 5 Stars

I knew the gist of the story, but there's a lot more to it. Great read. Also, my first Mark Twain book.

message 41: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #31: Frankenstein - Mary Shelley - 5 Stars

I had no idea of the differences between the book and the stories that I had heard. I liked it a lot. Pretty slow to start off with, but really gets going.

message 42: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #32: Interesting Times - Terry Pratchett - 4 Stars

Not my favorite of the later series, but a solid Rincewind book nonetheless.

message 43: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #33: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami - 4 Stars

I didn't like it as much of Kafka on the Shore but it reminded me a lot of it. Great writing, but I couldn't get into the story quite as much.

message 44: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #34: Dr. Faustus - Christopher Marlowe - 2 Stars

Started off as a good story, and a very interesting idea, but it just felt incomplete.

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I didn't know that Twain wrote The Prince and the Pauper. I've heard the story, but I've never read it. I'll have to read it now. Thanks for drawing that to my attention.

message 46: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) Julie wrote: "I didn't know that Twain wrote The Prince and the Pauper. I've heard the story, but I've never read it. I'll have to read it now. Thanks for drawing that to my attention."

Yeah, I was in the same position, I had only heard the story (I think just the Disney version though).

message 47: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #35: Maskerade - Terry Pratchett - 4 Stars

I don't normally like the Witches books as much, but this was better than most. This probably wouldn't be enjoyable at all if you've never seen Phantom of the Opera.

message 48: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #36: Cujo - Stephen King - 5 Stars

I hadn't read a Stephen King book in a long time, probably since middle school. I'm not sure why I stopped; that was really good. Definitely in my top 3, the other two being Needful Things and Pet Sematary. If I ever get a St. Bernard, he will be named Cujo.

message 49: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #37: Transmetropolitan Vol. 9: The Cure - Warren Ellis - 4 Stars

Great stuff as always.

message 50: by Will (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) #38: Transmetropolitan Vol. 10: One More Time - Warren Ellis - 5 Stars

Nooooo, the series is over! Great ending to a fantastic series.

« previous 1