J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Favourite book in the series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (shigyrl30) My favorite has to be Naked In Death.

message 2: by Tya (new)

Tya My favorite is Vengeance in Death. I love how even though Eve and Roarke have worked together in the past, this is one of (if not the) first times that Eve really has to step up and really accept Roarkes past. I've gotta say, so far, one of my absolute favorite scenes in the series is when Eve tells Roarke that she believes that what he did to those men in Marlena's behalf was justice. My favorite just because Roarke needed to hear it from her, so much.

message 3: by ElaineY (last edited Sep 16, 2008 06:12PM) (new)

ElaineY I just made these comments to a GR friend on another review:
----------------------------------------
You MUST read book 1 BUT...don't read it until you have book 2 in hand AND book 3! LOL! Why? Cos Eve & Roarke's romance develops in book 1 and 2 ends in a "romance-cliffhanger" so be warned. If I didn't have Book 3, I'd be tearing my hair out cos by Book 2 (Glory)I'm so totally addicted to Roarke, I can hardly breathe.

I really do get withdrawal symptoms when I'm not reading the book. Hell, I get withdrawal symptoms when he's off-planet and Eve is battling stuff (internal and external) on her own.

On second thoughts, read Naked but just make sure Glory and Immortal are available. Hey, I think this post should be under the In Death series discussion, not here. Is there a discussion for the series? If there is, I'll move our posts there, ok?
--------------------------------------------

My GR friend hasn't read Naked yet so I don't know if she'll like it but I'm hoping she does and will join this discussion group. We'd be new to the series and this group will be helpful to us.

Background to my reading the In Death books:
I read Naked when it first came out in 1995. Wasn't sure if I liked it and read the 2nd install ment, Glory, when it came out. Decided Eve was a cold, hard-nosed bitch who didn't know a good thing when it dropped into her life and I couldn't envisage dealing with that book after book.

That was the end of the series fr me. Fast forward 13 years later to 2008. I vaguely remember Roarke being pretty good hero material but it took the last 12 months to decide I could give Eve another try. And here I am...absolutely loving her! Wow.

message 4: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (roy99) | 11 comments A favorite of the In Death series--each time I read one that one turns out to be my favorite! LOL! I am so hooked with this series. A group of gals in one of my on line books clubs are sharing this series. They start in Utah, travel to NY, then FL (me), then SC, then Hawaii & then back to the mainland. I lose track of how many are reading them. A couple have bought all of them themselves because they can't wait for each person to finish one. I'm about to start Portrait in Death. We each add notes from the last person's notes about the book we just read & send them along with the book in an envelope to be opened after reading. It's been great fun.

message 5: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (roy99) | 11 comments Shazzy, The sharing of the books has worked very well for me. The two ladies that read the books prior to me read them quickly so I always have a couple here to read--I usually read one or two a month. With all the other books I read, it works great into my schedule. I've recommended the series to quite a few myself that have become hooked! Just started Imitation in Death & loving it. Eve is just so funny in how she can't relate to "girlie" things. Good thing she has Roarke, Mavis, Peabody & Mira to help her along in those areas. :-D What I wouldn't give for a man like Roarke! BTW, don't tell my hubby I said that! LOL!

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 39 comments I'm not sure I can even pick a book that I like the most. I think I'm up to the 10th or 11th book. But I find after awhile that the story's sort of blend together and I forget what events happened in what book.

But Naked in Death was pretty good, and also Vengeance in Death. I find it so interesting how Summerset does sort of care about Eve, and she really has no idea. But I love how they banter with eachother!

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 2 comments I have to say Naked in Death is one of my faves, though I do like Innocent in Death. Hard to pick from among the others, they are all so good.

message 8: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda | 12 comments My fav, is Naked in death I just loved how Eve and Roake came together and it just keeps getting better. Now my second favorite is Origin In Death that one gave me chills.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 39 comments I kind of want to reread the first book again... I remember reading it the first time and just thinking, what an arrogant and sexy man. lol.

message 10: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Vengenance in Death and Ceremony in Death are my favs so far.

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Immortal in Death is my favorite. Peabody becomes an established character, we see lots of Mavis, and of course, the wedding preparations and the bachelor party are great sidelines. My only wish is that she would have actually spent a little more time on the wedding itself.

message 12: by Sam8 (last edited Jan 20, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Sam8 | 33 comments Vanessa wrote: ". . My only wish is that she would have actually spent a little more time on the wedding itself. "

I think my biggest let down is that you don't get the wedding. You have Eve saying "I'm getting married." (or something to that like) and then she trots off to the sunset. The next book she's coming back from the honeymoon. The only real references is a book that takes place about a year later and the painting that she give Roarke and the similation that he has set up that reminds them of their night in Paris.

I read in one of my groups that the first 3 were written as a trilogy and it was supposed to all end there but they were so popular they went on from there.

Do I have a favorite? Not specifically but there are ones that stand out my mind more than others. The book where Roarke finds out who is real mother was. My heart totally ached and I found myself tearing up quite a few times in that book.

I loved the book of Peabody's graduation/ceremony to detective, where Eve knows that Peabody passed her exam and calls her Detective for the first time.

message 13: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Hey Sam,

That's interesting news about the trilogy. I had never heard that before. I love the Peabody getting detective one, too. And it's so funny how Peabody over several books, I think, keeps trying to say the word as often as she can. Great stuff!

message 14: by LadyCalico (last edited Jan 30, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

LadyCalico Since I, like I'm sure many others, read the books more for the characters and on-going back stories than for the mysteries, I would have to say my favorite is still Naked in Death, that starts it all and where the Dallas/Roarke romance buds and blossoms. I've re-read it too many times to count. After that comes Portrait, Vengeance, Innocent, and Judgment. I think Promises is also a promising addition to the list. I used to really love Divided in Death but discovered details in its plot came way too close to a Michael Connelly book, The Black Ice, which I read recently--but the Connelly book had been published a year before Divided . It may be a coincidence, but it takes away from my ability to enjoy Divided.