Vegan discussion

Skinny Bitch

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danna (new)

Danna | 1 comments I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to read this book? I read it back in November and thought it was hilarious and a sneaky way to get mainstream America to dump the meat and dairy from their diet.

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordanpattern) | 1 comments It was okay, but I really hate when veganism is presented as a "diet." Sure, every vegan meal is a victory for animals, and I'm sure that in some cases, Skinny Bitch acts as a kind of gateway to the vegan community, but I still have a hard time with a book that promotes veganism as a way to lose weight rather than as a healthy (and ethical) way to live.

I guess it remains to be seen whether preying on the insecurities of western women is an effective (and sustainable) way of converting people to veganism or not!

message 3: by Amalthea (new)

Amalthea | 3 comments I agree with Jordan. It has entered veganism as another fad diet into the minds of America and veganism is way,way more than that.

message 4: by John (new)

John | 1 comments I haven't read it but the title fills me with dread.
That is not what I want associated with veganism.

message 5: by Nichole (new)

Nichole (realfood-nichole) | 1 comments I hated this book... well, I hated the cookbook. They use tons of processed ingredients all while insulting the reader over and over again throughout the book.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I agree with everyone else, I don't like the title. I thought it was about how skinny girls are bitches actually, haha.

message 7: by Amalthea (new)

Amalthea | 3 comments Me too Christina, until I found out it was about Veganism. It's misleading too, because I eat very healthy and exercise moderately and have never been very skinny.

message 8: by Ben (last edited Oct 19, 2008 05:42AM) (new)

Ben The Liberal (beyondthegreenwall) One of my wifes friends read it and started talking to us about veganism/vegetarianism a year ago. I'm happy to say that this month (National Vegetarian Awareness Month, btw) is also my one year vegetarian anniversary! Going vegan will be a hard thing to do but I can see it in my future...

Still haven't read the book though.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3 comments Lilly wrote: "Doesn't sound like a good book at all, and I haven't even read it or heard about it. "

Any book that can turn so many "mainstream" people into vegans IS a good book if you ask me. Imagine how many lives are saved!

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3 comments I read it(even though I've been vegan for many years) and thought it was very informative. It seems to be disguised as a book about losing weight when really...it's a book about informing people about what goes on, whats in your food, what you are putting into your body. Hard not to go vegan or at least veg after reading it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

There's a short article about the book and author in Veg News Magazine, Dec 2008 issue. She was named "Person of the Year." I don't know if I would agree with that, but the book gets the message out there. Too bad the title is so off the mark.....

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Young (markvictoryoung) | 1 comments The title and the combative language have a lot in common with the shock tactics of PETA, I think. It is an attention grabber. But do the ends justify the means? The hardcore among us would say to get the message out there by any means necessary, but inwardly still cringe at using naked women to get people to think about cruelty. Objectify an animal or objectify a woman? Or exploit the "diet" obsessed culture that is always looking for the next new thing to talk about vegan stuff?

But going back to the title, try to imagine the buzz this book would have generated if it was called "Vegan Woman." People would walk to the other side of the bookstore to get away from that book. But they are intrigued by a nasty, emaciated woman. "Why is she so nasty? How did she achieve such a stunning lack of cellulite?" Marketing is not always pretty, but sometimes your product goes unnoticed without it.

message 13: by d4 (new)

d4 The language and title are a bit gimmicky, but I can see where it might trick some people into learning about their food who wouldn't read the book if the real agenda was present in the title.

A friend of mine stopped eating meat after reading it. I don't think it was for weight loss so much as being convinced that the dairy and meat industries have been manipulating the public. The message of being vegan for weight loss reasons may cause some annoyance to those who choose to be vegan for ethical reasons, but at least the book may inspire some to think about food choices in a different manner. So many people are content to just shove whatever is cheap into their mouths that I think it's progress when a book encourages its readers to reconsider eating habits.

I read this at the library and don't feel compelled to buy a copy for myself, but I wouldn't be above buying a copy as a gift or to have just to loan out to people. It appeals to a certain market of people, and for those people, I feel this method of getting the message out is a lot less offensive/alienating than PETA marketing naked chicks in anti-fur ads.

Has anyone glanced at the cookbook? From everything I've read, it's rather horrible, with recipes for vegan burgers that pretty much say: Place a vegan burger on a bun with lettuce and tomato.