Axis Mundi X discussion

Smart people saying strange things:

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod

Albert Einstein:
If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it.

I use this quote when arguing about string theory. I am really getting upset with self proclaimed asses that think they are the “that’s that” of physics.

Mark Twain:
You can not depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

If you can not imagine what the future is going to be then how do you plan to prepare for it?

Lord Kelvin (1899):
Radio has no future. Heavier then air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax.

Just goes to show even scientist get it completely wrong from time to time.

Admiral William Leahy:
The (atomic) bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives.

This reminds me a lot of the al gore camp environmentalist. Oh really you’re an expert in a field that doesn’t have enough information to form a solid scientific thesis… hmm interesting. That doesn’t stop you from grand standing does it?

John Wheeler:
If you haven’t found something strange during the day, it hasn’t been much of a day.

Just a fancy way of saying a day with out learning is a day not worth living.

M.C. Escher:
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Only those that never attempt will never succeed.

Max Planck:
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponent and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents die, and a new generation grows up familiar with it.

Who wants to build a trebuchet with me?

http://www.trebuchetplans.com/

I think this would be fun. I always wanted a big things slinger. Have a pesky car in your driveway that no longer runs, slingthings.com will come and throw it somewhere else.

***disclaimer**** slingthings.com not responsible or liable for property damage that may occur via our services. Any litigation accrued during our contracted services to you is your responsibility. You are liable of any monetary judgment in favor of plaintiff(s)

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments Haven't you ever seen Little People, Big World on TLC? The dad built a tebuchet to sling pumpkins on Halloween and damn near killed his business partner and one of his own kids.

Eh... hence the disclaimer. Duh!

It is a machine of war, and should only be used by professionals… not some freakish midget. You sadden me I thought you would remember my “fear/hatred” of the so called little people.

I really don’t hate them but the really do freak me out.

message 5: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
My daughter built a trebuchet for a school project a few years ago. It was pretty cool.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Kirk, Nick would never watch a show about little people! He's got that phobia. That's like me watching a show all about chickens and turkeys.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

unfortunately not... mostly she flung paper maiche rocks.

I just want to sling a pinto into the side of my neighbor’s house

message 9: by John (new)

John (jilsao) I've got an old toyota van I'd be willing to donate for ammo...}:-E

Excellent, please send to PMB lot 157 Giest Rd Fairbanks Alaska 99709. 2 day air freight if you please.

* Disclaimer* Not my real address, and are you fricking nuts, do you have any idea what it would cost to ship a vehicle to Alaska?

A.W. Bickerton (1926)

This foolish idea of shooting st the moon is an example of the absurd length to which vicious specialization will carry scientists... the proposition to be bacically impossible.

Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky, father of rocketry

The finer part of mankind will, in all likelihood, never parish-they will migrate from sun to sun as they go out. And so there is no end to life, to intellect and perfection os humanity. Its progress is everlasting.

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

no flinging of ponies Nick!

::::ships a midget to Nick's address::::

message 13: by Servius Heiner (last edited May 03, 2008 01:55AM) (new)

*return to sender*

I wouldn't fling an animal... well one that is alive anyway... Monty python just jumped into my head... I can sling cows over my fence/ramparts. Once said cow has devastated my intrusive neighbor, and I have successfully taunted them, I can have a BBQ. It isn't animal cruelty if you eat it once it is dead. Besides I think I can say with a great level of certainty that those last few moments would probably be the most exciting time in that cows life.

That is awesome... I don't know if mine will be anywhere close to 22 tons... I was thinking more along the lines of 122 tons.

message 16: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

FRENCH GUARD:
You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!
GALAHAD:
What a strange person.
ARTHUR:
Now look here, my good man--
FRENCH GUARD:
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
GALAHAD:
Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
FRENCH GUARD:
No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
[sniff]
ARTHUR:
Now, this is your last chance. I've been more than reasonable.
FRENCH GUARD:
(Fetchez la vache.)
OTHER FRENCH GUARD:
Quoi?
FRENCH GUARD:
(Fetchez la vache!)
[mooo]
ARTHUR:
If you do not agree to my commands, then I shall--
[twong]
[mooooooo]
Jesus Christ!
KNIGHTS:
Christ!
[thud]
Ah! Ohh!
ARTHUR:
Right! Charge!
KNIGHTS:
Charge!
[mayhem]
FRENCH GUARD:
Hey, this one is for your mother! There you go.
[mayhem]
FRENCH GUARD:
And this one's for your dad!
ARTHUR:
Run away!
KNIGHTS:
Run away!
FRENCH GUARD:
Thppppt!
FRENCH GUARDS:
[taunting]
LAUNCELOT:
Fiends! I'll tear them apart!
ARTHUR:
No, no. No, no.
BEDEVERE:
Sir! I have a plan, sir.

message 17: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

animal food trough wiper is pretty good too. god i love monty python.

message 18: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Oh, man, I love Monty Python... "And now, for a man who has three buttocks..."

message 19: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

if you grow up.... ha haha ha ha ha ha ha... oh man, yeah.

I have three buttocks! Oh wait, no, it's just extra wide.

message 20: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
We have brought you your shrubbery. May we go now?

message 21: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

first you must cut down the tallest tree in the forest with... a herring!

Well My trebuchet is not in Kodiak... I do love to hunt there.

**wondering if it is possible to hunt a bear with a trebuchet**

My educated guess is, I would be dead before I was able to zero in on it. How much would it cost to ship a Toyota pickup truck from the UK to Fairbanks...? I am assuming there would be air freight, barge, and trucking costs.

What is your favorate color?

message 24: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Now there is a sentence you don't hear every day... "My trebuchet is not in Kodiak"... ha ha ha ha ha ha.... I love you people.

huh?

Is there any place that a trebuchet should be? I was doing the Holy Grail thingy... scheech {:-/

message 27: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Hey Nick, if I can talk Varmint and a few others into the Bike trip, I'll help build. Unfortunatly you can't haul much material or many tools on a BMW...

Anyone else feel like a motorcycle run to Alaska?

message 28: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I'll tell you where to put your trebuchet.

Donna... when I first read your OGM I though it said "leave your message after the sheep." Heee!!!

message 29: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I don't have a bike, but I love to ride on the back. I think a ride all the way to Alaska would kill me though. My back can't take sitting and bumping for that many hours at a time. Very sad. I did used to LOVE to ride on the back of a bike.

message 30: by Varmint (new)

Varmint i have poured over galway's "the crossbow" and landel's "engineering in the ancient world", and paul's "trebuchet" just for fun.

have wanted to build a seige weapon for as long as i can remember.

as for hunting, from what i experienced of the mega fauna in alaska, they are practically daring you to hit them. the grizzlys liked to park themselves in full view of people, and take long naps. it might be possible to erect and aim a trebuchet. but you'd only get one shot.

and better than half the bikes i saw up there were BMWs. the alcan ate the harleys alive.

I have plenty of tools. One can not claim to be an Alaskan mountain man without a plethora of tools and duct tape. I suggest bring a lot of rain gear, if you take the AL-CAN highway... which is a real nice ride, Banff and jasper are great parks, nice scenery.

message 32: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Apparently Vicki Jean would host in Wash. State.

So Charissa, how bout in a side-car?

The Bears in Alaska act differently pending on where they are at... the "valley" bears are socialites fluttering from tourist to tourist begging for food, with mild threats of dismemberment if you don't comply

Then there are the bears of the interior that are a little more aggressive, it is known, they like pets, so keep yours on a tight leash.

And then we have the polar bears which are in a category all their own. They are playful (if they are not hungry) If they are hungry you would be better off swimming with sharks, I have quite a few pictures from a couple weeks ago where we had one polar bear chasing (3) guys around for well over 20 min. Persistent little buggers.

The Bears of Kodiak are the kings of the land; you are defiantly in their back yard when you are on the Island… I have been trying for years to get on as a wildlife warden there for 2 years now… Fingers crossed maybe someday.

Well yes but then somebody offered a toyoda pick up.... more bang for the buck. I’m kinda like time the tool man Taylor… More power is always better. The bigger the vehicle I sling at them, the more damage by kinetic damage, possibly even bring the house down… Oh it would be great if they were inside.

I have wanted to build siege engines for so long; I finally got the go-ahead from the wife... I am sure she will regret that, when the hells angles pull up the drive }:-D

message 35: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Hmm, Nick did you tell the wardens you had your own Trebuchet? ;-)

I think I will add that too the resume. The real reason the job is not mine yet is because the same 12 guys have been doing it for almost 26 years… It’s like dude new blood here man. I would love to spend all day out on that Island, even in the winter.

message 37: by John (new)

John (jilsao) It was actually a toyota van, as in one ton chassis and box. Come to think of it, the van could be the chase vehicle for the trip...Hmmmm

Trebuchet needs to be BIGGER!

Well, I have 3 acers to do a couple test flings, and my buddy has a tractor so we can pull it back... I'm thinking 48-52 feet at the apex should do it... rough math.

message 39: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I have never ridden in a side car, I have no idea if they are any better for the back. Mostly what I care about these days is some day I want to have wild monkey sex on a motorcycle. While it is parked, obviously. By someone wearing a leather jacket. Oh yeah baby.

message 40: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Heh heh heh heh... I wonder what a camper trailer crashing into the ocean would look like?

Johnny, I am swimming... then I got sidetrack on this extremely interesting discussion on launching spacecraft from trebuchets, then on to balloons. Check it out if you’re interested

http://forums.seds.org/archive/index....

Am I showing my inner geek?

message 42: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Inner geek, outergeek, we're all crunchy on the outside chewy in the middle.

message 43: by John (last edited May 04, 2008 08:39AM) (new)

John (jilsao) Good morning VJ, not usually on this early, but work work work...Never Frickin' ends...

Charissa, you know the bike doesn't have to be parked, in a younger stoopider time...well, never mind... Let's not condone that type of activity...

message 44: by John (new)

John (jilsao) I'm generally up @ 6 or so, but don't usually have 'puter time to spare.
Accordian to whom?
Well, you have fun rollin' out the barrel! ;-)
I could never play one, lots harder than it looks...

message 45: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Ha! Johnny... that's seriously amusing. I don't even... nah. ; )

I wish I could play an instrument... I couldn't hold a note or carry a tune in a bucket however {:-/

message 47: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

you could play the spoons, Nick!

Vicki... fiddles are awesome. But learning to play one is painful. Good luck with that. ; )

I can see an eye injury coming from your suggestion Charissa.

message 49: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

LOL!!! Only you could put your eye out with a spoon.

Also, you could probably kill me with a shirt button.

I don't know about a shirt button... a place mat perhaps, but a shirt button, no thats right out.

« previous 1