Melbourne Book club discussion

Just getting started

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauramurray (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Lauramurray | 1 comments Mod
I want to organize a group to get discuss books we love and try to get together once in a while. I would also love to compile a list of say the top 100 books that every person should read before they die.....
any input would be great!

message 2: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) I just hope I can finish Crime and Punishment before it kills me. I don't recommend that at all! But I do recommend that 'The Cure for Death By Lightning' by Margaret Anderson-Dargatz be put on the list of Top 100 Books.

message 3: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (CarpeLibrum) Hi, I just joined. Hang in there with Crime and Punishment. It took me 18 months to finish it - in between other books - because it was such a bore. But you'll have such a sense of accomplishment when you finish it. Then you'll be able to tell everyone what you really thought!

message 4: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) Good point. Although just being able to pronounce 'Raskolnikov' gives me a sense of achievement!

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Fulton (jofulton) I've just joined the group - I'd like to meet up too, I've never actually been part of a book club before so it'd be great to get together and talk books!

message 6: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (CarpeLibrum) How did you all feel when you learned the terrible news about Borders and Angus & Robertson? I'm still devastated :-( I love to go to Borders and browse the countless racks and just lose myself.

message 7: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) What happened to Borders??!??!?

message 8: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (CarpeLibrum) They are bankrupt.

message 9: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) Oh, money. You just screw things up.

message 10: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Grech | 3 comments Hello, I've just joined the group. I love the idea of a local group where we meet up, it's something I've alwas wanted to do. It is a shame about Borders and Angus and Robertson although I won't miss how tatty a lot of the boos were in the stores, especially Borders, it drove me nuts!

message 11: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) The Borders at Knox isn't closing! Woo!

message 12: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Grech | 3 comments The one at Doncaster is :( But the Lygon st one is still open! Mexican and books for all! Yes I'm one of the few people who go to Lygon st for Mexican instead of Italian

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I just joined! I hope to discuss and share books!

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Walsh (ChristopherWalsh) | 6 comments I'm in a similar position. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

What book are you reading now?

I'm slowly making my way through Crime and Punishment. I'm on the last part. I'm already trying to decide what book to read next. Any suggestions?

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Walsh (ChristopherWalsh) | 6 comments I have recently been trying to make my way through Albert Camus. enjoying crime and punishment? I would got for something a little lighter after that. Maybe some De Botton, I find him enjoyable.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Walsh (ChristopherWalsh) | 6 comments Or if you wanted to keep the russian thing aflot, some Asimov?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Crime and Punishment, finally! It was amazing. It took me awhile to get through, but it was well worth the effort. I haven't slowed down nor taken up an easy read. I'm tackling Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I read her first novel, We the Living, and really enjoyed it. I find her ideology intriguing and I appreciate her writing style and talent. Her philosophy is somewhat questionable but fun to grapple with.

What are you reading, Christopher?

message 19: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Walsh (ChristopherWalsh) | 6 comments at the moment I am starting D H Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover. Going well, I always find him so easy to read. But I just read The Metamorphosis by Kafka. It was interesting, but I found too short for all its awesomeness.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Kafka is great. I love the Metamorphosis for it's creativity and metaphors. I haven't read anything by DH Lawrence although several years ago I made an attempt on one of his books but couldn't get into it. I may have to revisit him as I do want to read one of his novels. Which one would you recommend?

message 21: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Tabone (Tanyatabone) | 1 comments The virgin and the gipsy is okay!