The Coffee Pot discussion

Challenge.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) Alright....I'll help get things rollin. This is actually my first group so hope you all get more chatty!

Here we go, name, favorite book, and one line intro comment...

Roxy
Little Woman (but thats not set in stone)
Practicaly logial in every way.

message 2: by James (new)

James (signal20) | 33 comments Mod
James
Uh... I have to pick just one?
Jack of all trades

message 3: by James (new)

James (signal20) | 33 comments Mod
Do you want to test it?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, My name is Nancy*
My favorite book ia A Tale of Two Cities**
Please join me on the back porch for a glass of wine, a fire in the pit, and quiet conversation or contemplation.

*(don't let the screen name fool you :-))

**It was the first adult book to catch my attention, so although I've loved many many books since, I always try to give it a nod. I think all middle-school kids should read it!

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) I never read TofTC, not even in school. As an adult I've been trying to read some of the classics/books you always hear about. I'll have to add that one to my list.

I've also tried to re-read some of our high school required reading...found some of those a little boring without the post-chapter, in-class discussions though.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments Karen
A Prayer for Owen Meany
"Books are proof that God wants us to be happy."

I agree about Dickens being wasted on high school students. My daughter had a hard time reading and I thought Great Expectations would do her in, she was so frustrated by it. Luckily, I work in a library and was able to get her a copy on an ebook reader, which also had a built in dictionary and allowed you to make notes as you went along. That got her through it. I tried to encourage her saying that now she will understand when people make references to Miss Haversham and the wedding dress, but she wasn't buying it! But for me, it will always be a favorite-I didn't read it until I was an adult.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2009 09:25PM) (new)

Mayrose
The Book Thief or The Hunger Games
The girl with eternal happiness
•••
I would go with either "The girl with eternal happiness" or "We've had some fun tonight...considering we're all gonna die someday."