Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Uglies (Uglies, #1)
This topic is about Uglies
Uglies > First Impressions~

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What did ya'll think of the first sentence? (trying a Texan drawl on behalf of my friend. NOT WORKING!!!!)
"The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit."

Strange way to start a book? Or not? I personally raised my eyebrows to the ceiling (and earning myself a few strange looks from my brother, too.)

Ms. Hicks | 25 comments Definitely. It was super jarring - but maybe that was the point? Maybe it's shaking the reader up to show that everything is not going to be as you expect it to be...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree! Every so often, a sentence like that comes along- and when it does you just know, its going to be a great book to enjoy. The one thing though, in my area, the early summer sky does NOT look like cat vomit... I suppose. I wouldn't know, since I am, sadly, cat-less.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) It intrigued me; I was eager to read on.

Diane (dianes) It definitely made me want to read more!

Ashley (readerandwriter) The world that Tally lives in definitely is interesting and makes me want to read on and see how the rest of it works.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I think that is a great first sentence. I remember in English class they always said start with a kick @#$ sentence. I am interested in reading on. The book has reminded me a little of the book The Giver.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I know it turned my stomach also.. I have cats so I have seen this cat puke! YUCK!

lionlady | 32 comments I've been thinking about why the author used this particular image of pink cat puke. Maybe its to show the hidden "yukiness" of the ugly/pretty society. Sunsets after all are supposed to be beautiful, especially the pink ones, but when likened to cat vomit, what is pretty becomes ugly - which exactly what this society is all about.

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim In one of my writing classes we've been talking A LOT about Point of View lately and how important it is to make sure the descriptions in a book fit with the lens the voice of the book is looking through. I think that first line in Uglies is such a great example of Point of View because this is the character's view, this is her way of looking at the world. I really smiled when I read that line. In fact, I think I'll bring it to class!

Sylvia (sylnamira) When I read it, I went "eeeeuuuwwww!!"

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments Very attention getting!

Stephanie I really liked the first book, but could not get into the second. Is it worth going back and trying again?

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Stephanie wrote: "I really liked the first book, but could not get into the second. Is it worth going back and trying again? "

I personally didn't care much for book 2 and even less for book 3. My advice is to read Hunger Games instead if you haven't already

Stephanie The Hunger Games was incredible. That was one of my favorite books I read this summer. Thanks for the advice...I will pass on the rest of this series for now (The Uglies).

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Stephanie, If you loved The Hunger Games, have you read Catching Fire yet? It's the second book in the Hunger Games series, and has been out since 9/1.

Stephanie I have been holding off...I want to savor it over a break from school. Thanksgiving or Christmas. I know that is a long time to wait, but I think I can do it.

message 18: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Brewer | 14 comments At first I was confused and I really didn't like how Tall didn't realize she was brainwashed until after she spent time in the smoke, but after that I loved her.

Young Adult Book Reading Challenges

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Catching Fire (other topics)