Travis McGee Fan Club discussion

Fav McGee color?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna Spring | 1 comments Hello fellow McGee fans! Where's the chatter?

Do you love one McGee book more than others? Which one??

I've read a few in a mishmosh fashion, but am now working on the books in order. I'm almost through Darker Than Amber.

The Long Lavender Look was my fav so far. It seemed to stay fast-paced through the end and the crazy characters were among the most interesting to me.

And you all??

message 2: by James (new)

James (signal20) | 3 comments Sadly enough I'm only working on my second McGee, The Dreadful Lemon Sky. The first was A Tan and Sandy Silence. I think after Lemon, I'll start with the first in the series and work my way through.
Wish I could have met John D. Would have loved to pick his brain.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments Hi to everybody in the group. I'm new to Good Reads and have been wandering through the groups, beginning to think that one of my favorite pulp heroes has been forgotten. Just because there will be no more new tales about dragons to slay is not a good reason to forget the knight in tarnished armor.
My favorite color is definitely silver, the last in the series. I have just finished reading it in 1986 and several months later John D. was gone. The book was even more sad in tone than the previous volumes. Not too far behind would be amber.

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments JoAnna wrote: "Hello fellow McGee fans! Where's the chatter?

I've read a few in a mishmosh fashion, but am now working on the books in order. I'm alm..."

Hi Joanna, I saw the movie starring Rod Taylor before I read the book. I don't think Rod Taylor was the right actor to play Trav - he wasn't cynical enough. In the book, I loved the way McGee and Meyer set about trapping the murdering crew feeding off the innocent cruise ship passengers. Of course, not everything goes according to plan - like getting the s**t beat out of him, but everything comes out OK in the end.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments I've read them all. I held off on the last one, "The Lonely Silver Rain", for years because I didn't want it to be over. I think the earlier books in the series were the best; toward the end they seemed to be forced and hurried - running out of ideas, perhaps? I think my favourite was "The Quick Red Fox"; it was the first one I read and it definitely set the hook.

message 6: by doug (new)

doug bowman (dbowman282) | 5 comments Nightmare in Pink is my favorite

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carlton | 3 comments i own and have read them all.. what was the movies name ?I never saw it.. always thought Travis was James Bond like

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Hello! Can we resurrect this group? I have a decades long admiration for McGee.

I am collecting and rereading the books in order. I just started A Deadly Shade of Gold. It's the first one that Meyer is an actual character and not just a mention-in-passing as he was in the book or two before.

My favorite was The Green Ripper. Been awhile since I read it, so the precise reasons for my fondness are hazy, but I seem to remember a visceral attachment to the story. Something about it made McGee's ultimate triumph quite satisfying. I look forward to reaching that particular book again. (It's toward the end of the line.)

message 9: by Milton (new)

Milton Bagby | 9 comments I've been plowing back through all the McGee's and a fair slice of MacDonald's melodramas procrastinating instead of finishing the first draft of my second novel, but I must say that I'm a fan of "Bright Orange for the Shroud."

Bad guy Boo Waxwell is by far the most physically challenging of any McGee foes. He is not subtle, there are no shades of gray. He comes on as violent, wary, and/or demented from the first scene. Although MacDonald improbably plops Waxwell into the final pages for the climactic battle I think old John D had some fun with him. It's significant that the girl Chookie remarks that Boo is just McGee gone bad--an observation that McGee dislikes.

Not my favorite plot or ancillary characters, but definitely my favorite villain.

-- Milton Bagby, Author of "Before I Sleep"

message 10: by doug (new)

doug bowman (dbowman282) | 5 comments I agree with you on the Waxwell character. Odious

message 11: by Col (last edited Mar 25, 2013 06:09AM) (new)

Col (col2910) Just finished Pink over the weekend, as I'm reading them in order (Blue in February),

Blue more enjoyable than Pink, but still 19 to go before I can give a definitve answer!

message 12: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:30AM) (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 114 comments Mod
Travis McGee photo 0e07a609-01c8-437f-8dad-862156f50b2b_zps867cbbc5.jpg
Travis described his hair as "wiry" Meaning curly, I'm sure
'

message 13: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

doug wrote: "Nightmare in Pink is my favorite"

Doug: Please tell me that's your favorite color but not your favorite Travis. Please tell me that, please.

Like the picture? Contacting John asking him to put one up instead of the generic pix.

message 14: by doug (new)

doug bowman (dbowman282) | 5 comments nah...gray is my favorite color

message 15: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin | 8 comments JoAnna wrote: "Hello fellow McGee fans! Where's the chatter?

I've read a few in a mishmosh fashion, but am now working on the books in order. I'm almost ..."

JoAnna, there are a few McGee novels that I like only a little, some that freak me out, and about half of them I love. At the moment, and for the past decade, LAVENDER has been my favorite McGee. @hg47

message 16: by Col (new)

Col (col2910) Harv wrote: "JoAnna wrote: "Hello fellow McGee fans! Where's the chatter?

I've read a few in a mishmosh fashion, but am now working on the books in ord..."

I'm reading them one a month - 4th one due this month. This group does seem a bit inactive though

message 17: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Col wrote: "Harv wrote: "JoAnna wrote: "Hello fellow McGee fans! Where's the chatter?

I've read a few in a mishmosh fashion, but am now working on the..."

Hi Col:

Just finished Purple Place and loved it. Might be my favorite, certainly my favorite so far in my third re-read.

Going to write a review, specifically addressing how he feels about women. Not sure about the specific focus until I get into it.

Did ask the moderator though, a month or more, to please post a picture of Travis or something other than the generic pix we have now.

A Purple is #3...so I'm one behind you. Not sure I'll catch up or be in tandem but will try.

message 18: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Harv wrote: "JoAnna wrote: "Hello fellow McGee fans! Where's the chatter?

I've read a few in a mishmosh fashion, but am now working on the books in ord..."

Harv:

I'm going to begin my own synopsis of each book and although only finished #3 (A Purple...) so far it's the best.

First read in the early '70's, didn't read in order; second time around, read in order and now reading in order.

Boy, embarrassed to say I didn't read them in order the first time. I was sooo very, very young. Just barely had learned to read. Just a babe in arms. Convinced you yet that I was so very young? If not, I can continue on.

message 19: by Sanjay (new)

Sanjay Bose | 2 comments I read the first one when I was 16. Read the last one 20 yrs later - Scrounging pavement sellers for out of print copies. Amber was the first and remains my favourite!!!

message 20: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Sanjay: I think Amber was my favorite, too. Will have to get to it to say for sure.

Still working on getting us a pix of Travis for our group. So far, no success, as you can see. Anyone else have any ideas, go for it.

Cathy

message 21: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin | 8 comments Cathy wrote: "Sanjay: I think Amber was my favorite, too. Will have to get to it to say for sure.

Still working on getting us a pix of Travis for our group. So far, no success, as you can see. Anyone else h..."

Cathy, you mean you won't let me pose as Travis? What? I'm not macho enough? Photoshop, baby!

message 22: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Harv wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Sanjay: I think Amber was my favorite, too. Will have to get to it to say for sure.

Still working on getting us a pix of Travis for our group. So far, no success, as you can see. ..."

Harv: This, my friend, is saying a lot...You are second to Travis...only you, only you, Harv. And ask D.R. if that is saying a lot from me! He knows how I feel about Travis. Don't get me started, I can hardly shut up.

Fondly, to my sweet Travis Harv.

Cathy

message 23: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 20 comments Just finished Dress Her in Indigo. The ravages of drug usage in the late 60's is seen again. Not sure how many college age folks are heading to Mexico anymore. Lots of folks die in this one. Not one of my favorites.

On to the Lavender, which I remember was a good story.

message 24: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

I know, I know, I'm off topic but can't help myself.

A refrig magnet! I'll take 100, please.

[image error]
My Travis McGee

message 25: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin | 8 comments Cathy wrote: "I know, I know, I'm off topic but can't help myself.

My Travis McGee"

Hey, Cathy! I can think of worse obsessions than Travmania. Cheers! @hg47

message 26: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

James wrote: "Sadly enough I'm only working on my second McGee, The Dreadful Lemon Sky. The first was A Tan and Sandy Silence. I think after Lemon, I'll start with the first in the series and work my way through..."

James: Hope you enjoy beer. I think that's the only way he would let any 'picking' to go on.

message 27: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Cathy wrote: "doug wrote: "Nightmare in Pink is my favorite"

Doug: Please tell me that's your favorite color but not your favorite Travis. Please tell me that, ..."

Yes, Doug, I contacted him for umpteenth time without success so talked myself into being a co-moderator. However, we know this thread is just as good as the participants. Us chatting!

message 28: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Harv wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I know, I know, I'm off topic but can't help myself.

My Travis McGee"

Hey, Cathy! I can think of worse obsessions than Travmania. ..."

Yeah, I'm sure there are Harvey. And I probably have most of them including the Travamania.

message 29: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 09, 2015 03:51PM) (new)

Milton wrote: "I've been plowing back through all the McGee's and a fair slice of MacDonald's melodramas procrastinating instead of finishing the first draft of my second novel, but I must say that I'm a fan of "..."

Milton...I remember that villain so well and I agree, he was the worse villain, the worse one I can recall. Yikes!

message 30: by Ren (new)

Ren  | 6 comments Gold , Copper and Purple are my favorites.

message 31: by Ken (new)

Ken Cressman (kencressman) | 9 comments Darker Than Amber will always have a special place in my heart, mostly because it was the first one I ever read and a great introduction to MacDonald and McGee. I truly enjoyed the long con McGee and Meyer pulled off in Pale Gray For Guilt.

But I suppose my all-time favorite is The Green Ripper, partly because I could feel McGee's outrage and desire for vengeance throughout, mostly because it was so very different from the rest in the series. Sadly, I read somewhere that it was MacDonald's least favorite.

message 32: by Ren (new)

Ren  | 6 comments All classics . Love the villain in Amber . Movie wasn't the best..poor casting but still interesting I must admit .

message 33: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 20 comments Scarlett and stamps....good story

message 34: by Ren (new)

Ren  | 6 comments Enjoyed that one also .. let's be honest .. they're all great . I think there was maybe one I rated 3 stars . others are 4.5 -5.

message 35: by Sanjay (new)

Sanjay Bose | 2 comments Amber was unbeatable! :)