Daily Diary discussion

The Catcher In The Rye

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

er....... i dun how 2 explain it but itz 1 of the best books ive ever read and thats really sayin sumtin!!! itz like, it shows an amazing thing that ive nvr witnessed b4...... but i cant explain (and ya i may b a kid but i still read it and it took 25mins........... i wuz slow.....)

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't think this is great literature. To me, the whole book is just the rantings of a smart-ass teenager at his first session with a shrink. Why is he talking to a shrink? Because he can't reconcile his hatred of phonies with the fact that he is himself the biggest phony he knows.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I don't care for this book either. It's been so long since I've read it I can't really discuss it because I barely remember it. I guess I thought it was good when I was a smartass teenager, but at my age now I'd just want to grab his ear and put him in a time out. Ooh, and he said the F-word!

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments I thought it was over-rated. It bored me. I get that it is about alienation etc.. but so was the Graduate and I liked IT a lot better

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments Terri wrote: "I thought it was over-rated. It bored me. I get that it is about alienation etc.. but so was the Graduate and I liked IT a lot better"

I think the same - completely over-rated. I expected something much stronger and better written.

Melissa Rochelle (melissarochelle) It isn't really ABOUT anything...it's just about the journey of a disillusioned teenager. He's "over it"...when I was in high school I LOVED this book. I haven't read it in a few years, but I feel like I should read it again and see how adulthood likes it.

Stupid question...The Graduate was a book?

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Yes, The Graduate is a book.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments If I didn't know anything about this book earlier, maybe I would have better thoughts on it. But it wasn't good.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i hate this book. i hated it in high school, and i hate it still. i have NO idea why almost every american teenager is forced to read it. terrible.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments Thank God I didn't have to read it in high school. It's really bad.