Paper Back Swap discussion

General > What are you reading - May?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading 100 of the World's Greatest Mysteries by E. Randall Floyd

message 2: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) I am reading the Harry Potter series this month. I am on the second book, Chamber of Secrets. I'm #1 in line for Order of the Phoenix on PBS and I'm waiting for it to come up since thats the only one I'm missing :)

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel I am reading Dreaming in Cuban by Christina Garcia. I'm half way through Up the Amazon without a Paddle by Doug Lansky.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Clive Barker's A-Z of Horror compiled by Stephen Jones.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I am reading the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine -- and I have two new books coming from Jackie soon too! Thanks Jackie!:)

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel I gave up on Dreaming in Cuban. It just wasn't my style. I finished up Finding Fish, by Antwone Fisher. What an emotional book! Now I'm on the Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. by Sandra Gulland. It's about Josephine Bonaparte and written in diary form. It's really good.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 48 comments Mod
I've just finished 1st to Die by James Patterson and now I'm working on Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult.

I'm debating if I should buy some books at this point or try to read down my Mt. TBR pile. Nothing in the TBR pile is catching my attention atm and I'm hearing the call of some new books.

message 9: by Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (last edited May 14, 2008 11:31AM) (new)

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) Right now I'm reading Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? by Jen Lancaster

I have The Deal by Adam Gittlin that I need to review for rebeccasreads.com so that will be next

after that I have to find books in my Mt. TBR because it is getting out of control!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments Jackie - I hear ya about new books.
There are a ton of books coming out this month that I have been waiting for. I went to Borders this weekend and got the new Stephanie Meyers book -- the Host. and then I saw there is a new Charlaine Harris, new Jim Butcher, new Kim Harrison there were about 6 new books out I wanted. Sigh... maybe we can give up on food for this month?
I am starting the Host right away. It sounds really good, and I loved her Twilight series. This one sounds pretty good. It was my mom's day present --from me!!! Since I didn't get anything from my munchkins and hubby(which is ok, I am usually pretty low maintenance on holidays and stuff.)

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments Kylee -- I am about 3/4's of the way through When we're in public pretend you don't know me. Yikes! Teenage daughters. Too bad they don't come with instructions. I sure could use some for mine.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Bancroft Strategy by Robert Ludlum.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) Holly, I'm with you on Harry Potter. Although I started re-reading the series in March when I got book 7. I just started book 6 this weekend. With 2 kids and a job, I just don't get very far...

plus I don't like hauling my books around, so I have a different book that I read at work and in the bathroom at home. (Don't laugh... sometimes I can hide in there for 20 minutes before my kids discover they "need" me! Now if I just had wireless internet...)

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjay09) | 4 comments Jackie, I hope you enjoyed 1st to Die. I love them all, He just recently came out with 7th Heaven and I finished it in like a day. I def recommend reading all the others. I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl and LOVED IT. I just wishlisted The Boleyn Inheritance on PBS, but I'm way, way, way in the back of the line, so I might have to give in and buy it on amazon. Now I'm reading White Oleander, it has been on my TBR list for a long time. I'm liking it so far...

message 16: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienj) | 7 comments I'm reading Birds of a Feather, a Maisie Dobbs book, by Jacqueline Winspear. I like this series a lot. It's a good mix of history and mystery.

message 17: by Ari (last edited May 14, 2008 07:34AM) (new)

Ari (acwulff) | 22 comments I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Next on my list is Timbuktu by Paul Auster, or Every Rescued Dog has a Tail, stories from the Dog Rescue Railroad by Deborah Eades.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) I'm trying not to look too far ahead, I just get frustrated with my slow reading time! Right now I'm 100 pages into Harry Potter Book 6 (for the second time). Hopefully I will finish it and start Book 7 in May.

Otherwise I'm slogging through a pile of Harlequin Flipsides that I spent years collecting (and just as long sitting on my shelf). They're a fast (read: mindless) read that I can bring to work for breaks. If I don't finish them this year, they're going out the door.

And then there's the box of self-help books that I'd like to read. Right now I'm working through "What Men Want", which so far has been more humorous than having any new or mind-altering information.

message 19: by Nancy (last edited May 16, 2008 05:30PM) (new)

Nancy Right now I'm reading two books on domestic violence for a class I'm taking.

The Abusive Personality, Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships

When Battered Women Kill

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I just fininished the Host by Stephanie Meyer this weekend. I really liked it. I'm also reading You Can't Say You Can't Play for a class of mine. Nancy~ It sounds a little more light hearted than the one you're reading.
Jackie- I got the books you mailed --Thanks!
Sherry~ I hope you enjoy book 7. I really love that whole series. I can't put them down when I start them.

message 21: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) I usually never do this but I put Harry Potter 2 down half way through and picked up Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund. I found it in the bargain section at B&N and decided it looked really good and I couldn't wait until I finished the HP book to start it. I should have that finished this week and then it will be back to Harry Potter. I'm trying to decide whether I should add Anne McCaffrey's Pern series to my pile too. I tried it in 8th grade and couldn't get into it and I'm kinda tempted to try it again but my TBR pile is already big enough as it is.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori (lhmosca) Yesterday I started and finished ODD MOM OUT by Jane Porter. She's rapidly becoming a favorite of mine. I haven't started anything new yet today and can't quite figure out what's next....

message 23: by Collette (new)

Collette (vwbernie) | 24 comments I'm reading Dead of Night by JD Robb and 3 other authors. I'm almost caught up in the In Death series now. Yippee! Then I can start on another series. I'm thinking paranormal this time. :)

message 24: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) The Lte George Apely by John P. Marquand. I found out that I'm actually related to the author during my genealogy research which is pretty cool!

From Amazon: Sweeping us into the inner sanctum of Boston society, into the Beacon Hill town houses and exclusive private clubs where only the city's wealthiest and most powerful congregate, this novel gives us-through the story of one family and its patriarch, the recently deceased George Apley-the portrait of an entire society in transition. Gently satirical and rich with drama, the novel moves from the Gilded Age to the Great Depression as it projects George Apley's world-and subtly reveals a life in which success and accomplishment mask disappointment and regret, a life of extreme and enviable privilege that is nonetheless an imperfect life.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading In the Night Room by Peter Straub

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) My reading list is getting crazy. I have too many in-process books! I'm having a hard time settling down to one book.
HP book 6
Him Her Him Again The End of Him by Patricia Marx (audiobook)
What Men Want
A Boy of Good Breeding by Miriam Toews
Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket (reading with/to my son)
I should be finishing the audiobook today and hopefully the others (except HP) the end of this week.

message 27: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (crystalrose) | 28 comments I'm reading Dying Breath by Wendi Corsi Staub right now. Probably going to read a non fiction next just not sure which one yet :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

message 29: by Mel (new)

Mel After a slew of funky reads, I'm working on Sarah by Marek Halter. If you liked the Red Tent, you'll enjoy this one. Written in the same spirit.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori (lhmosca) This past week or so I've read ODD MOM OUT and MRS PERFECT by Jane Porter. LOVED them both!! I'm now reading Down by the River by Robyn Carr and enjoying it. As soon as I'm done with this one, I need to read Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber, it's a loaner and I have to send it on to the next person.

message 31: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienj) | 7 comments I just finished Sofi Mendoza's Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico. It was awesome! It's a YA, but very readable for an adult. I just started Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, which I am also enjoying immensely.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic How is that btw? I reasd alot of John Saul but that's about the only thing I've choosen not to read.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic How are you enjoying the Weather Waden series? I thoguht I'd love it! But I couldn't get past the first book. I don't care for the tough as nail attiude that comes off as a rebelling teen, you know what I mean?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I saw some really good books being read. Don't forget to review them guys! I LOVE reading reviews. Do I get a daily digest from this group as well? I hope so cause I want to read reviews and comments from you!

Reading (as of 5-27-08)

Lover from another planet (Ellora's Cave)
Little Boy's blue (HQN Intrigue )

To start:
Dangerous games (Riley Jensen gaurdian series PNR by Keri Arthur)

Alias Mommy (HQN INtrigue)

If you can't tell I am on a romance roll right now. I got a bunch of Koontz this month so I may start one of his. He's so hard for me to read (with others). So I am undecided just yet. Thanks for sharing your selections and giving me more ideas for my RL!
=),
Kenjii

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments The first one was ok-- I finished the first three, and am waiting to get my hands on the fourth. one. It is not goig on my favs list, but I like them.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) I just started 'Never Have Your Dog Stuffed' by Alan Alda. I'm listening to the audiobook. This is some funny stuff!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Alexandria Link by Steve Berry

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I like Alan Alda -- I always have. I may have to add that one to my list.

I just finished My Favorite Witch, and am about to start Bite Me if you can.

message 39: by Mel (new)

Mel I finished Sara which was really good. Now I'm reading Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts. She's fast becoming one of my favorite authors.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic what was sara about? who wrote it? thanks.
=),
kenjii

Unapologetic_Bookaholic i've read lots of PNR if you want ideas!
=),
kenjii