Axis Mundi X discussion

Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses Apologize

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited May 01, 2008 08:37AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I didn't read the apology yet King, so forgive my premature posting...

I just felt like saying that I don't find the JWs nearly so annyoing as the LDS kids. The JWs approach their door knocking from an intellectual standpoint, in my experience. You gotta give 'em credit for that. (And this statement coming from me--there is NOTHING I hate more than evangelism.)

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I won't fault them. I was pestered by a pair of elderly JW's, and they were the nicest people alive. Sure, some of their beliefs make you scratch your head, but they seemed so gosh-darned earnest about it.

I will fault them for not taking a hint, especially when my apartment smelled like brimstone, and there was a goat braying in the background...

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments Now if only the damn door-to-door magazine salespeople would apologize.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Haaaa ha h ha ha ha ha.... Paul Shrug is my new hero.

My grandmother was a Jehovah's Witness. She used to take me to church with her when I was little, and give me copies of The Watchtower. One time (at band camp) she sent me a recipe for pie crust with a bible quote at the bottom: "Adulterers and fornicators shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven." Love, Grandma.

When JWs used to come to my door I would invite them in for cookies, but as soon as they saw the lifesized shamanic body art on my wall, the Kali mask on my mantle, and the ritual drums leaned in the corner, they declined my offer. Funny how they didn't come back anymore after that either.

message 5: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Your grandmother chose an odd time to send you a pie crust recipe, Charissa. Band camp?
Okay, I'm not going any further with this one.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori I find Jehovah's Witnesses very polite. I just don't like soliticers ringing my doorbell.

Funny how when I immediately tell them I'm Jewish they back away reeeeal quick!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I watched. I enjoyed. I rode my tamed panther through the McDonalds drive-through.

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I rode the train this morning, standing next to a smart-dressed woman reading some JW literature. She seemed so at peace with herself. In a Scientology sort of way.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (paulshrug) | 1 comments So I did my occasional self-validation-through- Google-searching my screen name tonight, and came upon this post where my dear friend King D hepped you all to my video. Thank you all for liking it!

This particular video protest action has kind of slowed down a bit. I thought it was a great idea. But as is something of the norm for me, I just couldn't partake in this kind of action without poking fun at it. Thankfully the other ex-JW's who made videos got the joke.

Everything I say in the video is, actually, completely true. I was indeed bribed with McDonald's, and they really do believe that all wild animals will be domesticated in the "New System." Among other things. The whole New System thing actually sounds kind of boring, to tell the truth.

I did not end up buying barbells, however.

Thanks very much for watching my video! You guys seem pretty cool. Have a good one.

--P

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I feel like I just met a celebrity!!!

message 11: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
ahhhhh ha ha hahaaa.... I LOVE TEH INTERNETZ!!!

message 12: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro | 11 comments Ahh Charissa you endulge us once again. I must admit you are the only one who brings the best topics to this awesome goodreads site, indeed I wuv the intern-weby-thingy! I must admit that although I was raised J.W. and don't feel the need to give api-pologies to folks because I believed in earnest the dogma I was tought. I now am part of the heathen world I once felt detached from and embrace my fellow decadent human brothers and sisters (exept for the Bush-Cheney junta) I have a place in my heart for those sweet well intentioned families I was part off, but they aren't any more dilusional than the rest of christianity, muslim, hindu or buhdist. I am who I am today because of those compasionate and good people of my chilhood.