Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Totally Random > Chat (Cookies and tea allowed in this room)

Comments (showing 1,151-1,200 of 2,759) (2759 new)    post a comment »

message 1151: by Saira (last edited Oct 24, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Homework done, no story coming to me, time to go finish a book.

message 1152: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments I can picture Ajay transforming into a king cobra! I can think of a hospital consultant I wish he’d bite.

message 1153: by Ajay, The Caped Crusader (new)

Ajay (Ajay_N) | 1136 comments Mod
:) Sure, M! Just give me the address and I'l pay him/her a visit.

message 1154: by Ajay, The Caped Crusader (new)

Lol, Alex. I guess the 'living daylights out of you'. You stepped on one recently? What happened to the snake?

message 1155: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments I’ll find out where she lives, Ajay!

Kat! Oh, Kat. Alex has fainted.

message 1156: by Ajay, The Caped Crusader (new)

Sure, M! Just give me a hissssss and I'l be there.

I know what Kat is going to do (pokes with a stick) :)

message 1157: by Ajay, The Caped Crusader (new)

Accept my apologies, Alex. I'l schedule a conference call and admonish that fella. hehe.

message 1158: by CJ, For Narnia and for ASLAN (last edited Oct 25, 2012 07:32AM) (new)

CJ Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 3293 comments Mod
Alex (Al) wrote: "I stepped on him and he freaked out, slithered away. Ugh. It was horrible!"

Hey I have had that happen to me too! When I was little and trick or treating we were near the lawn of some guy's house and I saw a snake laying across the sidewalk leading towards the house. I figured it was a phony one (like rubber or something) and I stepped on it. It slithered back and forth and I immediately felt bad. lol.
It later disappeared...

message 1159: by Ajay, The Caped Crusader (new)

No worries, Alex. Just spoke to him. It's all cool with him now. He has confirmed that he wasn't injured in the process. And he considers your description: 'one of those weird banana pod leave things' as a compliment! :)

message 1160: by Ajay, The Caped Crusader (new)

Yes, I think they are odd-looking. Also found them fascinating. I think I might have seen these in the UK. Not able to recollect. Yup, cold affects one's spelling and a lot other things. It affects my balance and I get extra sloppy.

message 1161: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments That's weird, ours don't have thorns, but they do have the pods. Our baby brother picks them up all the time; I think there are a few in the house...XD

message 1162: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments Beautiful photos!

message 1163: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) | 2868 comments You made a film? Hey, Alex, what college do you go to?

message 1164: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) | 2868 comments Oooh, okay.

All right, fair enough.

message 1165: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) | 2868 comments I think it'd be awesome to make a film some day. Okay, that's fine, just wondering.

message 1166: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

Caitlan (psych-enthusiast) | 2863 comments Mod
November 11th should hurry up already.

message 1167: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) | 2868 comments Why?

message 1168: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments Alex, what did you think of the Canon AE-1? I loved mine!

message 1169: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments I’ve got one of the old ones, that isn’t programmable. It’s extremely simple to use. Compared to their contemporary equivalents, these were very high-quality cameras.

message 1170: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Why?"

I can start signing up for classes then

message 1171: by M (last edited Oct 25, 2012 03:17PM) (new)

M | 10127 comments On Veterans’ Day?

message 1172: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

If Veterans day is on the 11th, then yes XD

message 1173: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) | 2868 comments Oh, okay.

message 1174: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments Kat, have you always had such a dry sense of humor?

message 1175: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments She probably made a 35 on the ACT and is disappointed because she didn’t get that last point.

message 1176: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10969 comments What does '...made a 35 on the ACT' mean?

My favourite camera was an old Olympus OM-1. I had a couple of great lenses but it broke and wasn't fixable. Loved that camera. Now I have a very sophisticated and excellent film camera, an Nikon F80, which is great. But it has so many functions that it almost doesn't seem like a camera.

Now I'm mostly using a small self-contained 10mp digital, which is surprisingly good for taking snaps.

message 1177: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments The ACT is a college entrance exam. When I was in high school, a perfect score on it was a 36. I think the highest anyone had made back then was a 34. A friend of mine made a 33, the highest score at our school.

I had no interest in school or things like the ACT. I rarely took books home or prepared for class or for tests, even in college. It wasn’t until later that I got interested in IQ and in tests that measure academic aptitude.

message 1178: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments I never study for anything. I got a 1650 on the SAT and 24 on the ACT. Somehow I tested into MTH 156 or something like that which is college algebra, but I mostly guessed because the idiots at the school split it into 9 parts instead of just 1 or 2.

message 1179: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

Woah, no I did not do that good on the ACT. I got a 24. I'm not smart.

message 1180: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments 24 is scholarship worthy (or so I've heard). I think the average is 19 or something.

message 1181: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Agreed, Alex. Most colleges prefer to look at ACT scores anyway.

And a 30 is really good.

message 1182: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments ACT is more difficult. Average score is 23. 25 is more scholarship worthy.

message 1183: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (Doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments In the words of Charles Dickens... "A loving heart is the truest wisdom." :)

message 1184: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Hm? What did I say?

message 1185: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (Doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments Peace, man! Peace! :)

message 1186: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments No, I don't know what I said. Send me a private message explaining it to me.

message 1187: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Giving his score is going to mek her feel bad? What else was it he said?

message 1188: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments How can I learn if you don't explain it?

message 1189: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Thank you.

message 1190: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (Doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments I think that a test score means nothing. Telling her she's "average" is simply just not accurate. Kat could never be average. She's much too special for that. Discussion I hope on this topic will end. All of us are smart, talented people. Let's act with dignity and respect. :)

message 1191: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments That's what I thought. I got an average score, but everyone tells me I'm really smart. I would be highly surprised if the same thing didn't happen to Kat. Her writing certainly shows that she's not average. :D

message 1192: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments There's a lot of excitement over a simple hurricane for some reason.

message 1193: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (Doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments No, I'm just encouraging everyone to be kind, considerate, and do everything to the best of their abilities like I would any day in this group. You all are a great creative bunch!

message 1194: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Sandy is massive, but not strong. No idea what their problem is.

message 1195: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Hello everyone! I need some ideas.

Within the last few weeks, presidency of the writing club was passed to me. I was curious if anyone knew of any cool writing activities? I usually like to start the meeting out with an activity, get some business done, then go Helping Circle mode, and then do workshop.

So far as activities I have:

-free writes
-writing a story with each member writing a sentence or paragraph

I had several others but for some reason I can't remember them now. Gah!

message 1196: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments Try some prompts. They help the old brain juices get flowing.

message 1197: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10969 comments Hi, Cheyenne. Hmmm. My suggestion is that you, the president, don't make the suggestions. At least, not directly. Suggest, instead, that something about the participants initiates the ideas. For example, each person will write a story about why the person beside them is wearing one of their accessories or clothing items. Or, following the WSS, have each person do a short introduction, and then use some element of those introductions to make individual or short stories.

And, Cheyenne, I'm so glad you showed up again. As I mentioned requested a week ago, I have finally finished blogging your poem as part of an elaborate synchronicity-like thing, that I call fushigis. Check it out to make sure what I've done is okay with you. If not, I'll toast that part of it. Here's the link The Loneliness of the Whale and a Pile of Bones: Moby Dick, a Morgue and Balloons — Some Fushigis.

Good luck with the club!

message 1198: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Yep, that's perfectly okay :)

And I've never thought of those writing activities!! Thanks, both of you. I'll be sure to use them.

message 1199: by M (new)

M | 10127 comments Guy’s in the running in the Poetry group contest! Congratulations, Guy. I hope you win.

message 1200: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10969 comments Welcome back, M and Al!

Thank you for your well wishes regarding Newton's Figs. Can I count on your vote?! LoL! Too funny. I fully expect to be near the bottom, as per usual. My INFJ/P proclivities in my writing will keep me out of the winner's circle. But, I confess to being a little pleased, and hugely surprised, at making the short list with that poem. Sometimes, it is the small things in life that bring about the biggest smiles.

M, interesting that three of the those on the short list were written by members of the BH.

Thank you Cheyenne. Your poem was beautiful and sad, and the synchronicity connection to the memorial of the young girl remarkable.

Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dies the Fire (other topics)
Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West (other topics)
The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism (other topics)
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media (other topics)
Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Ralston Saul (other topics)
Naomi Klein (other topics)
Noam Chomsky (other topics)
Jane Jacobs (other topics)
Marshall Sahlins (other topics)
More...