Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

global author change?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Stacy Well I didn't see this thread here so I thought I would Start it. For Me it's the Anita Blake Series. But I can't forget the Dark Hunter Series and Christine Feehan's Carpathian series. sooo good. Oh there are so many more I probably would be typing for a whole day to list them, but you know what I'm kinda ashamed I still haven't read any of Stephanie Myers books. I've heard they are really good, but alas I must wait until my birthday oh well.

message 2: by Oddmix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Oddmix There are books that are "good" and books that are "Great!" We all know the difference, but I find it a hard difference to define.

Is there one thing about a book that will put it over the top from Good to Great? Is it an overall impression? What do you think?

message 3: by Andie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Andie (andiesmith) For me a good book is one i have a hard time putting down. and great book is one I don't put down and have to tell all my friends (who read) about it.

I've not figured out the formula for a great book for me. there are some books by an author who i think is great and some books by the same author that i can barely finish

message 4: by Elaine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Elaine Oh my goodness you must read The Twilight series!!! It's not just "really good." It is really really really really good. It was so addicting that I barely did anything for two days while I finished eclipse. Loved it!!!! Although, I haven't read any other Vampire romances...what would you recommend?

message 5: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Jenny | 2 comments hi, i've noticed that several entries for books by the same author record the author's name wrong. is there any way to change multiple records at once? thanks!

message 6: by Hannah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Hannah Young (hannahyoung) | 0 comments For me it's all about the characters. That's something I noticed recently when reviewing on here. I so often say "The characters blah blah blah." They really make a book for me. I love getting to know the people on the pages and to me that's one of the things that frustrates me about so many of the "classics"; the characters in them are just tools to carry some sort of message and quite often aren't that well developed into people. I have to care about who the book is about for it to be Great. I like finishing a book and still wondering about the people in it.

message 7: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Jenny | 2 comments hey! nevermind, i figured it out!

message 8: by Belinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Belinda | 0 comments A great book for me is one that I'm sad to see end. There are books that I'm so reluctant to say goobye to when I'm done that I'll re-read the last passages over, or go back to the beginning and linger over the first chapter again.

message 9: by Cassie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Cassie I would recommend everything in the group's library! :)

message 10: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) I would recommend JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Its about warrior vampires who defends their race from extinction. Set in modern-day Caldwell, New York, Ward's vampires are sexy, aggressive, bad-asses. LOL. Check them out and you will see why these series have garnered so much attention since it was launched. So far there are five books out. I just can't enough of the Brothers.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

L.A. Banks! I love these books and I would highly recommend them. I bought one and after that I couldn't put them down. I read them on vacation, before bed, when my son is taking a nap... after I was done with the last book I was bummed because the next one doesn't come out till April '08. There are 9 books right now... and I suggest everyone should read them.

message 12: by Freda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Freda (Arkie_FallenAngel) I just read one by a new author - Halfway to the Grave, by Jeaniene Frost. It's the first in the series, so it doesn't have the "happily ever after" ending, but this book is great. I highly recommend it. The heroine is half-human/half-vampire, and the vampire hero has an English accent, which is one of my weaknesses. I'm already impatient for the next one to come out, which isn't until April.

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Lisa My fav vamp book is SUNSHINE by Robin McKinley. The author weaves a lovely web of opposites attract in this non-fluffly novel. TWILIGHT, NEW MOON and ECLIPSE are definitely right behind SUNSHINE...

message 14: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) | 0 comments You're right, Lisa, "Sunshine" is great! The character of Sunshine drove me a little crazy with all the chatter going on inside her head, but I adored the vamp Con. And I so wanted a sequel to this book to find out how Con and Sunshine's relationship developed, since the book ended rather suddenly before we had a chance to find out. I have read on McKinley's website that she gets requests for a sequel all the time, but has no plans to write one.

I am just starting to read Katie MacAlister's two series. Right now I am laughing my way through her "Aisling Grey" series, but also have her vamp romance series, and I am really looking forward to that. I'm just crazy about vamps. Go figure (grin)!

message 15: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) | 0 comments Okay, I am now reading Katie MacAlister's "The Dark Ones" vamp series and LOVING it!! The first novel ("A Girl's Guide to Vampires") was so-so IMO, because the vamp was a very minor character. I guess that was her introduction to the series. But since then the vamps have been the main plot. The second novel "Sex and the Single Vampire" was fabulous. And the third one, "Sex, Lies, and Vampires," seems to be more of the same. Yummy! If MacAlister keeps this up, this is going to become one of my favorite vamp series. No kidding! I'm really enjoying it.

xoxo
Laura
http://www.OccultFiction.blogspot.com

message 16: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (book_girl_14) Anyone who likes vampire romance has to read Twilight, new Moon, and eclipse!!! They are some of the best books I've ever read!

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I, too, would love to read a sequel to "Sunshine."

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie S (julies_27) I love Kim Harrison's books, and also the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris are great. Both are really inventive and well-written series.

message 19: by Bree (new)

Bree (hellogoddess) I recommend the Undead and Unwed (Queen Betsy) series by MaryJanice Davidson. They're funny, cute, and not typical fluff-stuff.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I gobble up every new book in the Undead series. I love it!

message 21: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Frohlich My favorite are the LKH books. "Blood is thicker than water" by, Wynette Hoffman is also really good

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) | 12 comments I'm going to have to say Twilight and its sequels - they got me into the genre and nothing yet has eclipsed (ha ha) these books, though I'm really enjoying the more "adult" ones ;)

Other favourites so far include Keri Arthur, J.R. Ward, Kathy Love, Anya Bast and Nalini Singh.

message 23: by MW (new)

MW I agree - both of those series are high on my list of favorites. Right now I am catching up for the new Hollows that comes out on the 23rd, and the series is even better the second time around. I think there is also a new Charlaine Harris book due later this year.
I also enjoy the RIley Jenson series by Keri Arthur. They don't focus entirely on vampires, but they play a big role.

message 24: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) Well Sookie Stackhouse is the one I look forward to the most. I also love Mary Janice Davidson, Kim Harrison, Katie Maclister (her teen dark ones series too), and shockingly Kimberly Raye as well.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse are the best. Tantalize is a vampire/werewolf book and it's pretty good. Also, Blue Bloods and Masquerade are great. I've heard that Marked and Betrayed are good too.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth Foster (noellekitty) Lynsay Sands writes a really good vampire series, the Argeneau vampires. Modern, but still funny as heck. Teresa Medieros also wrote two vampire books, After midnight, and the vampire who loved me. I third the Ward recommendation as well. But you gotta start with the first one!

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda My fav would have to be Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. Especially Eclipse. My next vampire fav would have to be Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost!!!!

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jen421) I love Meyer's Twilight series, Ward's BDB series, and Sands Argeneau series. Halfway to the Grave was a very fun book, and I can't wait for the second to be published. When I was younger, I loved L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries series.

message 29: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) When I was younger my favorites were L.J. Smith Night World series. Now that I'm older I would have to go with Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series.

message 30: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia J.R.Ward's BDB , Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed on the serious side
On the hilarious side Lynsay Sands' Argeneaus and Mry Janice Davidson's Queen Betsy
It seems I will have to start reading Twilight all your comments have made me seriously curious about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a young adult book? (I'm nowhere near young anymore *sigh*)
Oh! Honorable Mention Teresa Medeiros' After Midnight (haven't read the other one yet)

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jen421) Most of us are no longer young adults, but Twilight is still awesome. Its a great well-written, character driven story. The rest of the series is fantastic as well. Besides, we're all young at heart!

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I agree...Halfway to the Grave is great....and i to can't wait until the 2nd book to come out...!

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Other then the Twilight series...i love the Undead series...and the Sookie Stackhouse series...i was laughing the whole time while reading them!

message 34: by Haylie (new)

Haylie My three favorite vampire series r: the Black Dagger Brotherhood, the Argeneau Vampires, and the Midnight Breed series. They are all the best romance books I have ever read!!

message 35: by Keely (new)

Keely I haven't read J.R. Ward's BDB series but, I know a lot of people that say it's the best. They are on my next to read list. But my favs so far are Kenyon's Dark Hunters, and Feehan's Carpathians.
I read a book recently by a new author (Joey Hill) called "The Vampire Queen's Servant" and it was great!!!! Her sequel just came out but, I haven't read it yet. It's called "The Mark of the Vampire Queen" I think these fall into the erotica catagory. However, I don't think they are any racier than Lora Leigh or Laurell K. Hamilton.

message 36: by calicheri (new)

calicheri I'd say the BDB,Carpathians, and Vampire Huntress by LA Banks. I like Lynsay Sands a lot too, she's one of the "new to me" authors.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jen421) Recently I've been reading Lynn Viehl's Darkyn series. It's got action, romance, intrigue, betrayal... good stuff! I also love Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, which doesn't solely focus on vampires, but they are an integral part to the series.

message 38: by Estrella (last edited Apr 20, 2008 03:38PM) (new)

Estrella well i would definatly suggest the twilight series but there is another book SILVER KISS
which is also a good vampire romance. Here is the brief summary:

16-year-old Zoë is faced with the reality that her mother is dying of cancer. When she meets the mysterious and handsome Simon, she feels he can understand her pain better than anyone else has. As Zoë's life goes from bad to worse, Simon becomes her one true support. However, there is something very creepy about the pale young man. Will that creepy something (that is, the fact that Simon is a vampire) force the two apart? Zoe realizes that Simon is just as lonely as she is. The two fall in love and Simon tells her of his secret. In the story it is discovered that Simon has an older brother, Christopher, who is also a vampire. But he loves killing for pleasure and is stuck in a child's body. Simon has set out to kill Christopher since he was the one who murdered their mother. He disguises himself as an orphan with albinism in order to find temporary homes and new victims.

When Zoë finds out about Christopher, she sets out with Simon with the intent of killing him but his older brother is wise and will not be taken down easily...

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silv..."

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomgenregirl) I love Mary Janice Davidson's Undead series - a good mix of humor and romance, contemporary and light.

message 40: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy My all time favorite vampire romance would have to be, 'Seize The Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I love the connection between Valerius and Tabitha. Also, 'Night Embrace' (Kenyon) Talon and Sunshine gives me hope that soulmates do exist.

Now if only men like these were real.

message 41: by Teresa (new)

Teresa My fav is the Twilight series but in VERY CLOSE 2nd is the House of Night novels!! They are so wonderful! And then the Blue Bloods series is in 3rd!

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) Twilight of course is at the top. Then Sookie and House of Night series. Since I'm in SW Missouri, it's so fun to read since I've been to Broken Arrow and Tulsa several times, plus my husband is from OK, so I tell him all the time that I knew that's why OK was different...the vamps. I'm sure I have more, but those are the ones with the main vamp focus.

message 43: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Sookie and The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. Twilight was pretty good and I did start with that series first. Edward was hard to resist, LOL.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ferrel (MishaBean) I hate to say this but I'm tired of everybody saying, "THE TWILIGHT SERIES!" Okay... we get it. Twilight was great. But there are many other AMAZING vampire books out there, people! Live a little, be more open, read ANOTHER book!

My suggestions (for series):

Nina Bangs - The Mackenzie Vampires Series
Nina Bangs - The Castle of Dark Dreams Trilogy
Robin T. Popp - Night Slayer Series
Lynsay Sands - Argeneau Series
Kerrelyn Sparks - Love at Stake Series
Alexandra Ivy - Guardians of Eternity Series
Rosemary Laurey - Vampire Series
Katie MacAlister - Dark Ones Series
Jacquelyn Frank - The Nightwalkers Series
Sandy Lynn - Bloodmates Series
J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood Series
Susan Sizemore - Primes Series
Erin McCarthy - Vegas Vampires Series

message 45: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I do agree. I've read so many books that are 10 times better than Twilight was. It was good but it wasn't the be all to end all for me.

I can suggest:

The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost
The Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris
Blood Ties by Jennifer Armintrout
The Anna Strong Chronicles by Jeanne C. Stein

And that's pretty much all I've read series wise.

I'll look into some of your suggestions, Michelle.

message 46: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Aug 28, 2008 12:42PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Michelle- I agree it's why i left Yahoo Answers, everytime so one requested suggestions for books at least 3(or More) people would suggest Twilight. it became very nerve wracking especially when it wasn't the genre some one was looking for or when they specifically asked people not to suggest Twilight.

message 47: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I agree, I'm a little irritated with Twilight. I thought it was a really good series but now it's over with.

I can't think of a single vampire series to reccomend because I would probably just list the series already mentioned. That being said, we all have our preference and I am completely open to reading anything. I do love Kenyon, Ward and Sands but it could be becuase those were the only series I have every single book of. I have a few other authors who I have a book from but haven't gotten the rest yet.

message 48: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (Kaywaa) Its not exactly a romance, but I love the relationship that Louis and Lestat have especially in the first two books in Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles. There's a playfulness to them as well as a tenderness, especially in the second book when they reunite.

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I have to second the mention of The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost. I just finished the first book and I want more! I know the book spine says paranormal romance, but I found it in the Sci-fi/Fantasty section at Barnes & Noble. I think Bones may be my second favorite Vampire.

message 50: by Helena (new)

Helena (forbiddenLURVE) easy peasy... Vampire Academy Series!!
love them!!

« previous 1 3