The Haarsma Cafe discussion

Iamasoftwire.com

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Apr 30, 2008 01:38PM) (new)

Shannon (azshannon) | 14 comments Mod
Hey all! Check out http://www.iamasoftwire.com

Read all about it below:

I Am a Softwire is a group of outraged sci-fi fans who have banded together in support of Haarsma's The Softwire book series. Because major book chains refuse to carry these well-reviewed young adult books based on their sci-fi categorization, we have taken it upon ourselves to get the genre we love to children so science fiction won't die with our generation. We are collecting funds to make a mass purchase of The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1, in the hopes we can put it on the New York Times Bestsellers list. All books purchased will be donated to Kids Need to Read for distribution among libraries, schools and disadvantaged children. We hope this will help spur more interest in science fiction among young adult readers, and encourage authors, publishers and book buyers to take another look at this "outcast" genre. Not only will The Softwire series benefit, but so will science fiction, Kids Need to Read, and the libraries and children all of these books will find their way to.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kaymayf) | 2 comments See, all that "niche genre for outcast boys" stuff boggles my mind. I was a girl-child reader of sci-fi, and I raised two more girl-child readers of sci=fi. Neither child is an outcast in her social group, either.

The only thing more I'd like to see on that website is a "TELL YOUR FRIENDS" button, particularly if it could then import or access your yahoo or gmail or msn address books so you could select your recipients and tell everyone you know.

Scuse me, I'm off to write a blog on the softwire.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, you kind of beat us to the punch, Shannon. We are still preparing the store to raise money on the site. Donations are welcome, but for those reading this post, please don't spread the word around just yet. We don't feel right asking for straight donations and would rather have our store in place before publicizing the site.

I love your "Tell Your Friends" button idea, Kayefex! I'll pass it on to the webmaster.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (misskk) The I AM A SOFTWIRE site is up and running full tilt with a shiny store full of awesomeness!!!!