Maryland loves books as much as crabs and football discussion

Introduction

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Christy Hey everyone, I just joined this group a short while ago and thought that it might be a good idea to have an 'introduce yourself' thread.

My name is Christy and I live in PG County. I've only lived in Maryland for the past three years. I'm originally from Maine.

Things I love about Maryland: well, this summer I went to a real beach for the first time in my life (Ocean City). Maine doesn't have much in the way of beaches with boardwalks, etc., and the water up there is so cold, it's not exactly inviting. Ocean City was great, though I did get sunburned.

Last weekend, I went sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and that was even better than Ocean City.

I also like the proximity to D.C. I'm excited to go to the National Book Festival next month.

EDIT: and of course, I love crab cakes!

Reading Profile: From past reading history, I know that I have a penchant for non-fiction books written by journalists, apocalyptic fiction, and regional fiction. But I really read all sorts and am always seeking to expand my breadth of reading.

message 2: by Thomas (last edited May 04, 2008 06:57AM) (new)

Thomas | 13 comments Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Christy.

I'm from Northern Wisconsin. I've lived in Maryland since 2004. I personally haven't had a great time in MD, but that's mostly because the only people I really know are coworkers who don't share my interests (in reading, among other things.)

I used to read a lot of science fiction, but I now read historical, mythological, or economical nonfiction.

I can read fairly quickly, so I'd be open to reading something as a group, especially if I can get it from the local library.

Hope to hear from the rest of you.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 2 comments Hi all, I'm Nikki. I'm a native Marylander, having lived here my whole life with the exception of two short years in Ohio (1999-2001). I grew up in Middletown (which is just west of Frederick) but now I live in Rockville. I love Maryland for the tasty crab cakes, proximity to many big cities, proximity to the beach, quality public education, and of course my belvoed Orioles...even if they do suck now.

My reading tastes tend to run more towards contemporary fiction. My favorite authors are Michael Chabon (I even named my son after a character in a Chabon novel!) and Kurt Vonnegut, whose loss I am still mourning. Although contemporary fiction is my favorite, I also like to read books on politics and baseball. I also have an interst in children's and young adults literature.

Can we get some more in the way of intros?

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) i'm michelle, a native texan, and i've been in MD for the past 5 years. moved up here to baltimore after vet school for a great residency, and then across to gaithersburg not quite 2 years ago (hey, Nikki, right around the corner from ya).

i love MD for the actual occurrence of 4 separate seasons, though i could do with less snow. which is to say, Thomas, that northern wisconsin would be right out on my climate hardiness map. no other city's touristy stuff is as repeatably fun as DC's, but i love the laid-back blue-collar vibe in baltimore a lot. good food, good weather, good people, and a public library system with numerous branches...what's not to love?

my usual reads are sci-fi or fantasy novels, with an occasional smattering of Literature-type books. i'm going to come right out and admit to a love of moderately trashy vampire novels. in general, i'll try anything once, though poetry and mainstream whodunnit thrillers don't really do it for me. i'd be all over a monthly book club online or (better yet!) in person.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (honeybear2911) | 1 comments A little late on this, I admit, but here goes! I need book recommendations :)

I grew up in Maryland (Gaithersburg, then Damascus) and went to college at Towson University. I currently live in Frederick with my husband and my puppy. I teach 2nd grade for Frederick County Public Schools. In 2 months we're moving to West Virginia, because we can't afford to buy a home in Maryland :(.

I LOVE Maryland because it has everything you need. It has the beach, it has the bay, it has mountains, it has farms, and it has big cities. It has crabs. It has the Redskins (at least their stadium) and the Orioles. Most of my entire family is here!

As for reading, I'll ready pretty much anything. I really like going back to what I was SUPPOSED to read in high school, and reading it for real now. So classic literature is what I like I guess. I love novels about families and love and all that mushy stuff too. I get overwhelmed by books that have tons of hidden meanings, mainly because I just started reading a couple of years ago, and I'm not ready to trust myself enough to uncover those things or really understand them.

So that's it... any recommendations? I'm out of books and all the books on my shelves have been read at least twice!

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (JustZu) Hi everyone. I've Donna, born and raised in Baltimore. I love reading and am constantly in the middle of two or more books. My favorite genres would have to be fantasy and horror. After that, probably humor and photography.
I am always on the lookout for a really good ghost story, so if anyone has any recommendations - I'd love to hear them.

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan (djunger) | 1 comments I'm Dan ... joined GoodReads a while back but just now trying to get started with being more active on it. Between work and family (I have three young daughters) I need another outlet! Does this group do any group readings or FTF meetings?

I grew up in Rockville and returned to the area after grad school, now live in Bethesda. My reading interests are pretty broad and I go through phases of reading literary fiction/mysteries/science fiction and then phases of non-fiction, mostly history, science/math, philosophy and the like. I'm grateful that Montgomery County has such a good library system and often just drop in to a branch to browse and see what catches my eye.

Hope everyone's enjoying Inauguration Day ... did anyone go to the Mall to see it?

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 13 comments Hi Dan,
I did not. Some of my coworkers were watching it on the internet, though. I'll be happy to read about it in a book some day.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 1 comments Hi Everyone,
I'm Erin, I've lived in Maryland since 1997. I went to grad school at Loyola and then after getting married I moved to Columbia. I really love Baltimore, it has such a great quirky vibe that's like nowhere else.

I guess for full disclosure I should admit that I grew up in a small town near Pittsburgh, so I'm a huge Steeler fan, sorry about that last game any Ravens fans.

I'm a very eclectic reader - I read all types of fiction from classic literature to fantasy/horror/ to chick lit, I also love nonfiction - memoirs, true crime, history, biographies. I'll pretty much read anything on a good recommendation. Awhile back Michelle mentioned reading moderately trashy vampire novels - well I just finished the entire Sookie Stackhouse series in two weeks so I guess that's my latest reading addiction.

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 13 comments Cheers Erin,
My Grandfather is a Pittsburgh fan, although the Steelers don't really mean much to me.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm Krys and I can't believe I even found a Maryland group (and you all like to read!) I was born and raised in Glen Burnie, MD and just recently moved to GA. I'll be back in MD come this fall. I miss my crab cakes, traffic jams, and that smelly bay that over development was killing. I miss all the rain, the snow, and WJZ. I can't wait haha.

I enjoy classics and some contemporary books, pretty much anything I'm open to. Nice to meet you all.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 13 comments Not a lot of activity in this group, but it's good to see you, Krys.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess it's good enough that it just exists. I'd like to hope everyone is too busy reading to be making posts.

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (annemandy) | 1 comments Hello, my name is Mandy. I moved to Baltimore 3 years ago from Utah. Reading novels has always been one of my favorite hobbies. I would love to find other people in my area to meet with.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinagilmer) Hello everyone. I'm new to the group so I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chrissy. I've lived in Baltimore my whole life. Along with reading I love writing, it's been my career pursuit since the age of 5 (no joke lol).

My favorite genres are romance, murder mysteries, urban fantasy, and horror. The biggest thrill of my life was attending the 2010 Romantic Times convention where I participated in a writing class (taught by the fabulous Bobbi Smith, Jade Lee, Linnea Sinclair, Stacey Kade,Emily Bryan, & Judi McCoy) and several panels where I got to not only meet but take pictures with some of my favorite authors.

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 13 comments Welcome Chrissy.

message 17: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 1 comments Mod
Hello all,
I'm Jenni and I started this group back when GoodReads wasn't nearly so populated. I'm excited to see that people have joined and taken ownership and participated. Sorry I'm late in the game here, but I'll be more attentive now. For instance, in 2008 there was a request for a crab image and I will finally make that happen. In the meantime, if anyone feels a particular desire to be added as an admin, I'll see if I can make that happen too. send me a message.
Jenni

message 18: by Victoria (last edited Dec 01, 2011 12:05PM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) Hi all! I see this is not a very active group, but I figured if I didn't post, well then, how would it get more active? :-)

I am a Marylander for the past 5.5 years, living near Annapolis. I am a native Buffalonian (with a 2 year detour to Florida before MD), so I am a Bills fan, and my 2nd choice would be the Steelers (actually grew up there), so the Ravens will have to take a 3rd place for me! But I do like their purple colors!

I like to read (obviously) and currently belong to these other Goodreads groups: Books on the Nightstand (best podcast ever if you don't know) and also Bookmarks Magazine. I am a Bookmarks subscriber and love that magazine as well.

Most recently I have been enjoying Dennis Lehane novels which I never read before, although I had seen Mystic River as a movie. I am also listening to Bossypants on audio, but haven't done much on that lately.

I don't belong to any in-person book clubs, but do read a lot on the groups here - especially Books on the Nightstand.

Well, maybe traffic in here will pick up?

Vicki

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethwerl) | 1 comments Hi Viki! I will have to check out the Books on the Nightstand group! If you like Dennis Lehane, you should try Laura Lippman, she's great--and from Baltimore!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments anyone come here anymore?

message 21: by Impy (new)

Impy (veganzombie) | 1 comments Looks like a pretty quiet group. If I just start talking to myself on here, might other join in? ;)