Nerdfighters discussion

Book Club

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andi (new)

Andi | 8 comments How interested would people be in actually having a book club? Everybody would read the same book in the same month, then we could spend a couple of days talking about it, before starting another book. We could pick books from recommended on b2.0, have the mod pick them, rotate selection by person or topic, etc. Obviously everybody here likes to read, so I don't think it would be a great burden.

My recommendation for the month of May is The Warden, by Anthony Trollope.

I'll be reading this book anyway, but I'd love to have people to talk about it with.

Andi

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon McGee (confuzzledbooks) | 1 comments Hi I would be interested in a book club.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nizzy) | 2 comments Book clubs are lovely. I'm in.

message 4: by Emma. (new)

Emma. (emperess_emma) | 2 comments A book club sounds cool. I'm always looking for book reccomendations. =]

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (appleorchardbananacatdance8663) | 1 comments I like the idea too!

message 6: by Andi (last edited May 29, 2008 02:19PM) (new)

Andi | 8 comments Awesome. Has anybody finished the Warden, or do we want to start a new book for June?

Book recommendations for June are also very welcome.

message 7: by Kaella (new)

Kaella (foreigncandle) | 5 comments Mod
I'm currently nearing the end of my Gossip Girl reading and then I'm heading off to The It Girl but if you want to start a book club here, it sounds lovely!

message 8: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (faeriewaltzandvanity) | 2 comments I'm totally in.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (twowordsnohyphen) | 4 comments Did someone say book club? I'm so there it's insane.

Sorry I missed May, but I'm all about it for June.

message 10: by Tamar (new)

Tamar | 2 comments I'm all for a book club!! We should totally make it all official and discuss it and everything!

message 11: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (remembrall) | 1 comments I'd do a book club! if we're picking a new book for june, i have a suggestion - i've always wanted to read The Alchemist but never gotten around to it

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (twowordsnohyphen) | 4 comments I actually just started The Alchemist, so I could do that. But, I mean, I'd read whatever the pick is for the whole club.

message 13: by Andi (last edited Jun 07, 2008 10:00PM) (new)

Andi | 8 comments The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, with three votes for the win. For discussing this book lets start a new topic thread, cleverly entitled something like "The Alchemist (Coelho), June 2008" First person to finish the Alchemist should create the topic thread.

Furthermore, let us continue to use the topic thread of "Book Club" to discuss future monthly picks. I think the first book with three people endorsing it should become the next month's recommended book.

Andi

message 14: by Andi (new)

Andi | 8 comments For July, I recommend either:

The Geographer's Library--Jon Fasman
City of Ember--Jeanne Duprau

So, what does everyone else think, either about these books, or other ones?

Andi

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (twowordsnohyphen) | 4 comments I'm down with The Geographer's Library!

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments I'm all over a book club! (Currently I'm rereading Twilight, but I'll totally be done in a few days. That's how I roll.)

I'm totally in for July! And I'm up for either of those, except I'll need to get to a book store--my local library is depressingly unsatisfying.

message 17: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1 comments book club? Sounds great. is there any way we can create a poll of something to choose a book?

message 18: by Andi (new)

Andi | 8 comments Well, I have no idea how to create a poll. If someone else does, they are more than welcome too. So far, we've just been calling out book titles and the first one to get three votes wins.

Andi

message 19: by Swift (new)

Swift Can we suggest books we've already read that we think other Nerdfighters should read?

If so, I'd suggest Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. It has physics, music, and is written by the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Also, it has been described as a "detective-ghost-horror-whodunnit-time-travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic."

message 20: by Andi (new)

Andi | 8 comments Sure! But by doing so in the book club means that discussion about said book will (hopefully) happen.

We could also start a thread called Book Recommendations. That way we could use the book club to discuss books and recommendations to...uh, recommend.

Andi

message 21: by Swift (new)

Swift I'm all for book recommendations. (Although my to-read list is sort of unwieldy already.)

And on the subject of recommendations, if there's anyone who hasn't yet read Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines, you should do so.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary (twowordsnohyphen) | 4 comments I like the separate thread for Book Recommendations, that way we wouldn't get confused about what's for the club, and what nerdfighters think are awesome books we should all read.

Also -- anything happening for July?

message 23: by Andi (new)

Andi | 8 comments How about The Geographer's Library by Jon Fasman for July, and people can start talking about a book for August.

message 24: by Cassie (new)

Cassie September? October?

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (annewentworth) | 3 comments Book club? Are you kidding me?! I'm so beyond there! Bokk club sounds amazing. Septemeber? October?

message 26: by Zara (new)

Zara (zarazara) | 2 comments A book club would be amazing!

message 27: by Andi (new)

Andi | 8 comments Hey all,

If people want to have a book club this year, then someone must step up to be moderator. I was the defacto one since I started this thread/idea, but really won't have any time to organize or participate in it for the next year or so.

Sorry about the inconvenience
Andi

message 28: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 1 comments hey,
I haven't really been very active on this thread or in this group in general but I would be willing to pick and book and choose a few questions for it. Do you guys want non-fiction? Fiction? YA? John Green??? Let me know. Here are a few ideas: Outliers by Malcom Gladwell, Let It Snow, The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by M.T. Anderson and The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments I'm interest in participating!

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie (findingsusie) | 3 comments Oooh, I'd love to be part of a book club! (Why have I missed this?) So, how long have you guys come, which book are you in? ^^]

(I'm currently reading.. hang on... We're on Goodreads, just check out my page for heaven's sake.)

message 31: by Kara (new)

Kara (karalynncunnane) Hey, guys! I was hoping we could start up a book for June 2009. We have a few days to generate interest and toss around ideas. Everything is welcome!

message 32: by Keir (new)

Keir (misskeirnicole) | 1 comments i'd be interested =]

message 33: by Jane (new)

Jane (janebot) I'd be interested.

message 34: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (booksandknowledge) | 1 comments I think a book club would be an awesome idea for all book-freaks/nerds around the world. :) That will be quite interesting...!

message 35: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (fictionalheroine) | 3 comments I'd be down for a book club

message 36: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bneil95) | 4 comments totally

message 37: by Jazzi (new)

Jazzi Turner (philosypolymathosaur) | 3 comments That sounds delightful! Sadly, it's hard for me to purchase books right away. I might sit by and observe, if that's fine. I love books that have the discussion helpers in the back, like with Big Fish or Perks of Being a Wallflower.

message 38: by Ami (new)

Ami (amiradelal) There is a "read it 1st" book club inspired by Hank Green, but it's a little dead lately. Maybe people can head over and start posting :)

message 39: by Dizzilizzi12 (new)

Dizzilizzi12 | 3 comments Sounds like fun! I'm in! I'm reading Life of Pi right now, it's a great book for a book club if yall want to read it.

message 40: by Sacha (new)

Sacha (supersonicsacha) I'm in.

message 41: by Meltem (new)

Meltem (meltemozbek) I'm in!

message 42: by paulyn (new)

paulyn (kartoshka_sexy) | 3 comments I'm definitely in! :-)

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments Yes!

message 44: by Meltem (new)

Meltem (meltemozbek) So when will this start?which book should we read and discuss this month?

message 45: by Jane (new)

Jane (janebot) Honestly, at this point we've been talking about having a book club on here for upwards of four years. If it's going to happen at all, someone needs to get a move on.

message 46: by Meltem (new)

Meltem (meltemozbek) I think we can read the books John discussed on crashcourse ;probably a lot of you read "Romeo and Juliet" or "The Great Gatsby" but we can start with those and we can vote for some other books and so on.?

message 47: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 1 comments What month would we want to start readin Gatsby? Also, if no one wants to moderate, I'd be glad to do it.

message 48: by Meltem (new)

Meltem (meltemozbek) I think we should read the Gatsby on January and "Romeo & Juliet" on February.Are we all good?Any suggestions people?And Sydney I think it would be nice if you moderate :)

message 49: by Dominique (new)

Dominique (shadowofrazia) | 2 comments I love this idea! I've been meaning to reread the Gatsby before I see the film, so this will encourage me to do it.

message 50: by Meltem (last edited Jan 09, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Meltem (meltemozbek) If we're going to read the great Gatsby in January,we need to start soon people.

« previous 1