Drama and Theatre discussion

Where for art thou . . . (Everyone?)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nessie (new)

Nessie | 42 comments Hey! (Did you hear the echo?) It has been very quiet in here. Where is everybody?

message 2: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Busy with work and summer plans. :D

Heads up for anyone in the Chicago area. LOOPTOPIA this Friday and Saturday!

http://www.looptopia.com/

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Trying to get a paper written before the semester ends.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments In rehearsal!!!!! haha

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments As an aside, I've heard two different people use the quote "and flights of angels sing thee to they rest" in the last week. One was in the play Wit, and the other was in one of these other Goodreads groups.

Don't ask me why I think this is vital info for you all. Who ever knows why I say the things I do?!?!?

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 32 comments Hi Amanda (& all):

I haven't been around because I'm in production of The Compleat Works of Wllm Shakespeare [Abridged] right now. Your "flights of angels" comment really caught my attention, because I'm playing Hamlet. While the show is written for 3 men, we (being a community theatre with folks who have other fulltime jobs, etc) have decided to play it as 6 roles - 3 men, 3 women. We have also divided it up as 3 mature actors (over 50 - my group) and 3 younger actors (under 25). We've also flipped all the genders, so I'm playing Hamlet and King John, while we have a guy playing Juliet, Ophelia and Gertrude (and brilliantly I might add). Also, I love the play Wit and am contemplating a production of it in the near future.

message 7: by Amanda (last edited May 21, 2008 06:13AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Very cool, Amy! I love those "Abridged" shows. History of America is my favorite. :)

Your production sounds great. I think the gender-flipping is important to keep with the original intentions of the playwrights. Plus, it's fucking hilarious! Ha!

I was saying to someone (I forget who, maybe it was just on my GR review) that I wish Wit was done more often. It's suuuuuch a challenging piece and needs a top notch actress to do the role. If you do it, let me know how it goes, ok? I'm quite interested!!!