Madame Bovary Madame Bovary discussion

Bovary

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

ted Trying to read it for a book group. Seems dated, depressing, could be a gender thing but I can't get into it.

message 2: by Louise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louise Brown How far in are you? It really paints a picture then the momentum really builds - after the initial trudge it's an amazing whirl of quite extreme events. Also a lot about class in there, maybe that's not your thing?

message 3: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Geismar Emma is basically a selfish slut and i Loveeeeeee her

message 4: by nadia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

nadia ted- give it a shot. its a good story. emma is a person who is hard to come by, back in the day, and now. i don't know if this was originally written as a book to warn women off of being coquettish or otherwise sinful, but not so many literary pieces are as lusty...and it is a good story, well written. i think the best stories have to unwind slowly. savor it.

message 5: by Tina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Definitely stick with the book, it's one of my favorites. I actually think it's quite funny, especially in the satiric way Flaubert presents Madam Bovary. The rough "ride" she has in the carriage, while lacking in lusty details, is quite hilarious to imagine.

Sarah I love it. It's one of the greatest books I've read. I think, at some point, like Flaubert himself said that we are all Madame Bovary. It's a reflection of our own longings and desires in life which never come by. When we force them selfishly, we are doomed. Sad but true.

TrumanCoyote I didn't like the book as a whole. However, I felt that the scene where Bovary and her suitor (I don't even remember who it was now) are talking while a county fair or festival or something is going on right around them in the background was absolutely amazing. It was like something from a movie (all that time ago).

Slavica This book was one of few books ,that we had to read for school ,that me and my high school friends liked and enjoyed reading and discussed about....

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think part of the problem is that we cannot appreciate the master stylist's prose in translation. Re-read the carriage scene and see that the cadence and rhythm match the act happening within the carriage. It's genius.

Also, Madame Bovary's overall purpose as a novel is surely not didactic. It's commonly held to be cutting satire, both of its cast and of novels like it from before, see Balzac for a less funny version of this story.

message 10: by Amr (new) - added it

Amr Sarah wrote: "I love it. It's one of the greatest books I've read. I think, at some point, like Flaubert himself said that we are all Madame Bovary. It's a reflection of our own longings and desires in life whic..."

Totaly agree, sometimes i felt that we are all her but what we are doing is hidding our disires

Hamideh nice...

message 12: by One (new) - rated it 3 stars

One Flew I've read and enjoyed a lot of the classics but I didn't really get into Madame Bovary. It wasn't that it seemed dated, I just didn't connect with the subject matter or empathize with the characters. I appreciated Flaubert's style of writing, just couldn't myself to like the book as a whole.