Thoughts on the World discussion

Music and Entertainment > What ever happened to great music?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Waffle...♥ (new)

Waffle...♥ (rawritzwaffle) | 94 comments Anybody noticed how rap and stupid songs with no meaning besides inappropriate information are popular amongst people these days? What happened to those great music out there? *sniff*

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I don't know. I wish they'd just substitute one word...like dang instead of...you know. It's make the song a whole lot better. Find something better to sing about then icky stuff!

message 3: by Morgan, Life consists of circles (new)

Morgan (cheshire) | 95 comments Mod
Most songs these days seem to be about love.....yuck.

message 4: by C'est Moi ♪ (new)

C'est Moi ♪ | 59 comments I really hate the songs that say stuff like...inappropriate things. "Souljah Boy?" Oh please. What a bunch of nonsense. Are there any meaningful songs out there anymore? *ponders* Well, there is one that my friends and I all like. "If Everyone Cared," by Nickelback. Have you heard about it?

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) That is awesome! I don't know anyone like that...yet. Rappers are really bad. I hate them too. It's almost impossible to find good rap songs. And in those collaborations, it's usually the rappers who mess up the song.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I love that song! It has such a good moral.

message 7: by Waffle...♥ (new)

Waffle...♥ (rawritzwaffle) | 94 comments I LOOOOOOOOOOVE THAT SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Where is the Love" by Black Eyed Peas is also very touching... Hehe and you know that music video I showed you Helen? Called "Savin' Me" by Nickleback? I LOVE THAT TOO!! <33 Hehe "If Everyone Cared" is the song I used for the Song Analyserr thingy (brain dead at the moment) because that was like... my first favorite song?! Plus each and every lyric in that song has a deep message! Even super short lines like when he says "I'm alive" *sniff* So sweet!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Savin' me is also awesome!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) 3) Doncha by the Pussycatdolls.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) It's just pointless; the song. Only heard parts of it. Still. "Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me? Doncha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?" >_<

message 11: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Oakwar, I think that song is called Low Ridin'. I might be wrong.

message 12: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah, all the raps songs today are all about...you know. Rhymes with mex. My friend and I were saying- the good old time when the rap song was Can't Touch This!

message 13: by Kenzie (last edited Apr 29, 2008 06:27PM) (new)

Kenzie Da na na na, na na, na na, can't touch this, Da na na na, na na, na na.

message 14: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) lol luv that song

message 15: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yup!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) One of the good rappers today is Sean Kingston. I've never heard any song of his being dirty.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Me three! That actually reminds me of our school talent show...

One of the announcers was singing that song and pretending that he thought he was good. It was sooooooo funnny!

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) LOL. I don't wish my name was sean. I like my name as Veronica just fine.

message 19: by Morgan, Life consists of circles (new)

Your name is Aveline?

The Singer of All Songs well, have you guys heard "where is the love" by the Blackeyedpeas?

though i sorta get the feeling that you guys will disapprove of the group itself, but i still think that the song deserves fair trail. the lyrics in that sort-of-a-rap song was meaningful. it goes:

What's wrong with the world mama?
People living like aint got no mamas
I think the whole worlds addicted to the drama
Only attracted to the things that bring you trauma
Overseas yeah we tryin to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin
In the USA the big CIA the Bloodz and the Crips and the KKK
But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And if you hatin you're bound to get irate
Yeah madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
You gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love y'all

People killing people dying
Children hurtin you hear them crying
Can you practice what you preach
Would you turn the other cheek?
Father Father Father help us
Send some guidance from above
Cause people got me got me questioning
Where is the love?(where is the lovex3)(the love2x)

It just ain't the same all ways have changed
New days are strange is the world the insane?
If love and peace so strong
Why are there pieces of love that don't belong
Nations dropping bombs
Chemical gases filling lungs of little ones
With ongoing suffering
As the youth die young
So ask yourself is the loving really strong?
So I can ask myself really what is going wrong
With this world that we living in
People keep on giving in
Makin wrong decisions
Only visions of them livin and
Not respecting each other
Deny thy brother
The wars' going on but the reasons' undercover
The truth is kept secret
Swept under the rug
If you never know truth
Then you never know love
Where's the love y'all?(I don't know)
Where's the truth y'all?(I don't know)
Where's the love y'all?

Can practice what you preach
Father father father help us
Where is the love?(where is the lovex3)(the lovex2)

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As I'm getting older y'all people get colder
Most of us only care about money makin
Selfishness got us followin the wrong direction
Wrong information always shown by the media
Negative images is the main criteria
Infecting their young minds faster than bacteria
Kids wanna act like what the see in the cinema
Whatever happened to the values of humanity
Whatever happened to the fairness and equality
Instead of spreading love, we're spreading anomosity
Lack of understanding, leading us away from unity
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feeling under
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feeling down
It's no wonder why sometimes I'm feeling under
I gotta keep my faith alive, until love is found

Can you practice what you preach
Father Father Father help us
Where is the love?(fade)

the tune's nice too. we should not condemn all rap songs because of the general. and yes, i have heard really bad meaningless raps; it drains the brains.

message 21: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) I love Where Is the Love, one of my favs... and Black Eyed Peas songs aren't all bad.

message 22: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I love the song Where is the Love? :D

message 23: by Morgan, Life consists of circles (new)

Sorry, I never thought about the fact that more than one name would mean little bird.

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 312 comments i hate my real name too lol. my friends call me it just to annoy me.

message 25: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) Katherine Dillon with creamy fillin doesn't sound as good... nope i'll keep calling u katie!

message 26: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) it's my nickname for her that our teacher made up last year... she hates it.

message 27: by Katie (last edited May 04, 2008 11:42AM) (new)

Katie | 312 comments yeah, my name is katherine anne. but the whole thing doesnt fit on test packets so it shows up as katherina. gag.

message 28: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I like the name Jenna. I don't like my name. It's so uncommon and weird. It means forever in hebrew. I wish I had a normal name. I like the name Julia, that's pretty.

message 29: by Morgan, Life consists of circles (new)

I like your name, Sella.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie | 312 comments i like the name sella too. it reminds me of stars for some reason.

message 31: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Really? Thanks!

message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ probably it reminds you of stars cuz it sounds like "stella" which is like the latin root word for "star" i think. lol. sella is a cool name.

message 33: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ anyway, as for the actual topic, i think there is still "great music" out there. i agree that there is a lot of nasty, meaningless, inappropriate junk out there too. but it's not all bad. and sometimes music is supposed to be more about the beat than the meaning, ya know? a song doesn't necessarily have to be deep to be "good". i like really meaningful songs, but i also like a lot of songs that are pretty dumb when i think about them, but they have good beats and/or melodies.

message 34: by Allie (new)

Allie | 15 comments There's plenty of great music out there. In fact, right now might be one of the best times EVER for good music because with the internet and sites like last.fm (which tracks your music through your iPod/music player), it's easy to find new music that isn't getting radio play. Not to mention you can trade virtual mixtapes for free with random people online much faster than ever before. It's really a great time in history to be a music lover.

That said, I never turn on the radio. Some music I have on my iPod is music that has been on the radio at some point in the past 50 years and even some modern songs, but it's really rare for me to hear a song on popular play that I like.

Also, rap/hip hop is great music. Just like any genre, the groups or individuals who get airtime are jokes. Solja Boy and 50 Cent are the Walmart of musical acts (along with, you know, Nickleback, Fergie, Justin Timberlake, anyone who was ever on American Idol, etc). If you dig a little deeper, there are some really phenomenal acts out there. Sure, some of it is "inappropriate"- but like any form of literature, the writers are drawing off of their lives. Not everyone lives a perfect life and I'd rather people rap about it to get it out of their head than to internalize. I'm much more offended by bad music than profanity and references to sex, drugs, and violence. That's part of my life too either directly or indirectly- much moreso than most of the boring love/breakup/club songs.

That said, if anyone wants good music in pretty much any genre (I don't really do Christian or country so I can't particularly help you out there), let me know and I can pick out a few songs for you to listen to and upload them for you. :)

message 35: by Waffle...♥ (new)

Waffle...♥ (rawritzwaffle) | 94 comments Eh, I have to use the radio because I don't own an I-pod, which is a total bummer because I practically can't LIVE without music.

I don't mind rap as long as they don't promote any bad things because nowadays we have young listeners... and yea, what's the whole deal with all these love/breakup songs? I mean, okay sure they are nice but I mean, come on! Not everything in life has to do with love this and love that!

I have to admit, my first impression on a song would be the beat and how catchy it is, but the meaning still counts.

Is it just me or is it getting harder and harder to find great songs? And so true! I totally forgot about Sean Kingston! Yea his raps don't have bad meaning. :D

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i kinda listen to both popular music and "real" music (or whatever you want to call it). i mean, i listen to the radio--and i actually like a lot of the artists that you named as being "fake" allie. plus i have a pathetic obsession with american idol... as a matter of fact, i feel really depressed right now cuz season seven ended last night. lol. but that doesn't mean that i can't listen to non-popular music too. i like both.