Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Merry vs. Anita (who would win)

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
So guys who would kick who's butt? Anita has all these guns and supernatural powers, plus she's the ultimate fighting machince.
On the other hand Merry is super powerful plus she has all those lovely body guards around her, Hmmm it would be interesting wouldn't it?

What does everyone else think?

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Jennifer Pearson | 14 comments I think that it would a be a draw. If only for the simple fact that all of the body guards, from both sides, would get bogged down with each other and the two of them would hate each other, but then something else would turn up and the fight would never be resolved.

After all, there's always some bad guy waiting in the wings to jump out at them. Merry's bad guy would attack one of Anita's people, while Anita's bad guy would attack one of Merry's guards. Chaos would ensue, the two would kill the bad guy of the other, they'd agree to a truce until their lives are calm enough to have an all-out battle, but one of them would always be caught up in something drastic when the other calls.

Therefore, I believe that it would be a draw.

message 3: by Tina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Tina Edwards | 3 comments I can't imagine a cause that they'd ever have to fight. I think they'd be more likely to be on the same side. Although Merry's Guards and Anita's men probably wouldn't get along very well. I'd be interested in seeing the stories cross over but I don't think they can. Anita mentioned once that no fairies were around anymore but in Merry's world Fairies are well known. So, they can't exist in the same world. Which sorta sucks..

message 4: by Cat Singh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments This would never happen, but if for some reason it could, i think i would have to say Merry (sorry Anita i love you) The whole hand of flesh thing, as much as Merry is reluctant to use it, if it came down to it, Anita would be a whrithing ball of flesh.

message 5: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
That is totally true. Merry has all of these powers she can use from a distance which is something that could be bad for Anita. Anita's good at hand to hand not so much Merry. So Merry needs to stay back.

message 6: by Cat Singh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments Yeah but all Merry whould have to do is touch her once...and a ball of flesh would be Anita...

message 7: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Yep totally agree that in the end Merry would win. This would never happen but I think they would probably get along. Atleast Anita would go bonkers for Merry's guard

message 8: by Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) Merry, but only because of the hand of flesh thing. Otherwise, I'd say Anita because she's a little more vicious.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (mansiongal) | 8 comments I think Merry would win because of her magic. But I agree with Lynn's comment about Anita being more vicious.
I think both women are such strong female figures that they would respect each other's abilities, but not really "get along."
I disagree with Stacy's comment that Anita would go bonkers for Merry's guard. For Anita, sex is about either showing love or feeding the ardeur. Keep in mind the prude who dissed Ronnie's lifestyle still lurks somewhere in her makeup. I think she would find Merry's guard attractive, but more for their power and fighting skill than for a sexual reason. For Merry, sex is pure enjoyment, no guilt. The "Andais needs an heir" thing was just a convenient excuse for the human world's morality.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 4 comments I agree with Tina, that Merry and Anita would more than likely be best friends than anything. Its Merry's guards and Anita's undead and supernatural men that would raise chaos. Can you imagine Doyle and Jean-Claude hanging out? Ahhh.....A girl can dream though cant she? :)

message 11: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments I would LOVE a cross-over book!! I don't think that it can be done, but yes, to have Doyle and jean-Claude in the same book *swoon*, i don't think my heart could take it!! But i would bow down, and re-read like a thousand times!

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Yeah I wish there could be a crossover book but it's impossible since the two worlds don't mesh as far as setting and such but it would be awesome. Which of the boys do you think would get along? Which would hate each other? I think Frost if he was ANita's guy would end up being another Richard for Anita not as bad but along the same lines. I think Jason and Rhys could hang out. They're both pretty modern boys. Jean Claude and Doyle would be compatible they are both pretty good at tactics and thinking politicaly etc. Anita would soooo murder Cel. Oh Nathaniel and Kitto would be bestest buddies. hmmm I can't think of much else right now.

message 13: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments i never thought of all the correlating characters like that! But you're SO right, there are tons of characters who have similar personalities. I think though, that if it were to happen, that Frost (if he comes back AAHHH!) would have a hard time. I think Richard is getting better.. but that may be only because the Anita series is more developed...

message 14: by Danni (new)

Danni Jones (dannijones) | 5 comments Actually, one of the early Anita books talks about fairies and the sithen. I believe it is Bloody Bones.

message 15: by Tippytoegts (new)

Tippytoegts | 16 comments I think Anita would win because she is meaner. But I don't think she would kill Merry. Probably while they were fighting something evil would come between them and force them to fight on the same side.

message 16: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Really old thread, but I felt like bringing it back, however briefly.

I vote for Anita and Jean-Claude raising the ardeur and everyone making love, not war. *g*

message 17: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
sounds good to me (:

message 18: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Oh, my. The images THAT conjures up! Yum.

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
oh goodness I really think that anita would have a field day with Merry's men. I mean you know how her arduer seek out powerful men for her and people that could help her etc. Merry's men could solve all of her problems. I mean I can see Anita doing a little happy dance the second they walk in. and those boys could totally beat the poopy out of mommy dearest. Although she would be a pretty good match for them.

message 20: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments Oh stacy I am with you all the way. How exciting would that be?

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments anita did say she needs warriors...

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 10 comments I think Anita would kick Merry's butt. Merry is physically stronger that Anita- piss her off and she'll zap ya with that hand of hers- I don't think Anita's guns can compete with that so I wouldn't back Merry up into a corner if I were you. But, Merry doesn't go looking for trouble. In spite of her awesome powers, she's basically a peaceful person. She's a lover not a fighter. Anita on the other hand is hell on wheels. The girl has attitude. She kicks ass. She's a vampire executioner by choice not fate. Merry fights because she has to, Anita fights because she wants to. I think if Anita and Merry were going at it, Anita would win because she's that competitive. Her attitude will win out over Merry's fearsome hand.

I'm team Anita.

message 23: by Cat Singh (last edited Apr 25, 2009 07:08PM) (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments that's really true Irene! but i think if Anita had been donating blood the night before Merry could bleed her from a distance. Though Merry would only fight if forced, she wouldn't let Anita kill her, so she'd have to fight. Not that i'm screaming team Merry, because of their two attitude/personalities i do like Anita more (sorry to you Merry lovers, i've just been with her so much longer, and identify more with her) anyway, i totally think that her personality would give her an advantage

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments I think it would depend on the reason for fighting. If Merry's men were threatend she'd flip team anita inside out.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) Anita's got the hand thing going on also, she used it on Primo, although we haven't heard/seen it since.

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments ****spoilers****Merry has been under the influence of a lust spell before I think she could over come it enough to turn it to violence. With that she could us the hand of blood to bleed then all or with the new sword she dosent have to touch them to flip them. Also Merries men all have powers that work at a distance and they are all seasoned warriors.Rhys could possibly have powers over vampires, he is a death deity. Sholto and the slaugh wouldnt just sit by and watch thier queen get slughtered. Anita has said herself that she has a lot of pretty men but not enough warrors. Most of the vampire crew has sex related powers which might backfire dealing with a fetility goddess. I've been trying to think of a reason taht to two would come up against each other and i can't think of one. I think the reason they were fighting could be important as to the outcome.

message 27: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla981) | 24 comments All of the possibilities...Anita could sic Edward on Cel and Taranis and make everyone a lot happier!

message 28: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Carla wrote: "All of the possibilities...Anita could sic Edward on Cel and Taranis and make everyone a lot happier!"

Sounds like you're not up on the most recent books.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura Emmons (LauraEmmons) | 22 comments LOL ok I feel that if Anita knew she was gunning for Merry, Merry would be dead long before she realized Anita was after her.
BUT
if they just met at a bar and got in a cat fight Merry would win. (No guys allowed bar) :)
NOW
throwing all the guys in the mix just makes it a draw.

message 30: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 88 comments I liked both of them so much that I can't even go there

message 31: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (alicia0605) I dont know who would win but could you imagine if they joined forces?

I wonder if LKH would ever consider doing a crossover book?

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments I don't think i'd like to see a crossover book. It would be too much. But maybe a short story involving a brief meeting between a few characters would be cute.

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mlsimmons) I think it would be Anita because I think Merry would hesitate. Anita would never hesitate. Though, Merry is getting more practical and ruthless, but not quite to Anita's level yet.

message 34: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) There is no question, Anita. Anita hands down. its that simple.

message 35: by Rain (new)

Rain | 5 comments Alicia wrote: "I dont know who would win but could you imagine if they joined forces?

I wonder if LKH would ever consider doing a crossover book?"

Anita would woop butt in one on one hand to hand combat, but Merry has power that Anita has no defneses to.

IT would be awesome to have them team up, but completly impossible, considering both characters are written in the first person point of view. That would be a little wierd with all the "I" "my" .....you would get lost on who was telling the story. However, Merry's boys could pay Anita a visit for a battle. :-P

message 36: by Courtney (last edited Feb 01, 2010 06:10AM) (new)

Courtney (AlannaRey) | 154 comments Anita was kick a** seriously. Shes knows how to handle situations no matter how big. She may need some help once in a while but she knows how to use a gun, fight, talk back, and she has a very powerful vampire, wolf and lepard all behind her, plus many more people that would help her

message 37: by Diana Jane (new)

Diana Jane (dees_world) | 53 comments If Merry was to verse Anita without the help of her body guards, I think that despite being both strong willed characters, I believe that Anita's more ruthless and isn't as concerned with dying as I've come to realize Merry is- to an extent.
&& think of it this way, Merry only feels stronger because of her guards moral support. In a one on one throw down I think Anita would win, simply because she didn't need anyone else in the beginning to fight her battles, and she still doesn't.

Despite that I like both characters.

message 38: by Starling (new)

Starling Merry has always known that although she isn't immortal that she was likely to have a longer than normal life. Anita started up with a basically human life span. I think that has something to do with being ruthless.

Merry has always known that she needed to fight to protect her own life, but her main weapons are so horrible that she doesn't use them all that often. They maim for life and can't be fixed, but they don't kill. And once childhood ended and her father died she basically always fought her own battles. The guards are a new thing for her.

Anita has weapons that can be used at a less than all or nothing level. It makes it easier to fight.

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) Yeah, that inside out fae who could have lived forever like that would be a big deterrent to ever using the Hand of Flesh again. I'm thinking Anita would win, she is ruthless, and almost seems to lack the compassion that Merry has, or maybe had boxed in in so long it's atrophied. Anita would not hesitate to kill Merry if she felt there was a valid reason to kill her, Merry would be more likely to try to find a reason not to. I think

message 40: by mirba (new)

mirba | 12 comments I think it would be like an old western scene, this desert road, a conjunction between the two wolrds, Merry and all her mans at the left, Anita and all her triumvirate's lions tigers and friends on the right, they look at each other, but since they have no reason and then they'll decide to go and have a cup of coffee at Merry's house.
While they talk about girl's thing, like what is the best dress to keep knifes while pregnant. After a while they'll notice it's really late and Merry have to give Anita one of her mans to satisfy the ardeur.

lol

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) and then Jason would be happy to reciprocate, take one for the team, you know. And then the pretty boys would discuss eyeliner, the warriors would give their "no shit, there we were" stories, and it would all be good. works for me!

message 42: by Keydi (new)

Keydi (Kater_Bater) | 1 comments I think Anita would totally kick ass! She always comes through, and if not she has her many many men to help her!