Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Savages

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Has anyone seen this one yet?

message 2: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, I have seen it. The actors are all fine and turn in very good performances, esp. the dad, considering it isn't really his film. even though in actuality they pull a lot of punches, it's still basically a downer of a film. It's not something I'd care to watch again, much less buy on a DVD. But I'm glad I saw it once.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments This movie was highly recommended to me and I am still unclear as to why! I think I liked the movie, I usually judge that by watching it to the end. Yes it was a downer,depressed me in the sense as what is going to happen to me when I am old. I agree that it is not something I would care to watch again, although the actors were good. It was very interesting watching the different reactions of the siblings and how they treated their dad. Also, I think a worry is how will I deal with an aging parent if, and when, the time comes.

message 4: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I had intended to watch The Butterfly and the Diving Bell that weekend as well, but after this one I decided I needed something a bit more cheerful. That or I'd be drinking myself to sleep by Sunday. I suppose as the Boomers age we'll get more of this. I thought one of the better aspects of this film was that the 2 siblings retained all their own problems. I should have entered this film into the Movies that should only be Seen Once topic.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Well George, I think we are the same schedule as I happended to watch the two movies back to back! How weird. Yes, I would have to agree that this is a movie to watch just once. However, I would watch The Butterfly and the Diving Bell again. The more I am thinking about that movie the more I am liking it.

message 6: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Meg, Yes, it is a bit wierd, but there it is. perhaps we should drop off into a discussion of 5 Degrees of Seperation or something similar.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Sounds good to me!