Amerika Amerika discussion

Who is fanny?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luke sorry to start such a tedious discussion topic but it has been bugging me since i finished the book. can anyone explain who this fanny character is who karl meets in the last chapter?

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Daniel I was also puzzled when he meets Fanny. The last couple (few?) chapters are only fragments, which might have something to do with the mysterious Fanny.

Ivona or.. she was simply introduced like that, with no special history of hers.

Lovechild79 I have not yet gotten to that part of the book, but I know there is a break in there after the main story. Also Kafka never intended the book to be out so that may explain some missing parts.

Lobstergirl The last two chapters (at least) are incomplete. He must have intended to introduce Fanny in the penultimate chapter or somewhere in there, so that when he reintroduces her in the Theatre of Oklahoma chapter, Karl is surprised and happy to see her again.

Note also that Karl indicates his last job was in an office, which doesn't fit with the existing manuscript, and that he gives his name as "Negro" which was his nickname "at his last post."

Marian Yes, that confused me, too! I actually enjoyed the last chapter or two, though it would have been better to learn what happened to Therese.

message 7: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Prada That happens to me too. I was like WTF.

message 8: by Can (new)

Can Yeah its happened to me too. I couldn't know who is the funny. But this novel completed from Max Brod - Kafka's friend- and thats make sences because when he died its not over yet probably.