Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
The Book Thief > final reactions

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I thought that it was a great book and that death was a great choice as the narrator. It softened the blow of death a little. I thought it depicted life in Nazi Germany pretty well.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I thought that using death as narrator elevated it to a great book; otherwise, it would have been just ok, as it was death as narrator that made the book so unique. And I agree about death giving the events some distance. It had been on my to-read list and I'm really glad it's one that I got to read. I would recommend it to those I know 12 & up, including all adults.

lionlady | 32 comments Death as narrator certainly gave the book an edge it otherwise wouldn't have had. But I also wonder if that was why Zusak took that angle - or was there more to it? As I read the ending (crying by eyes out all the way) I agree w/ Lisa that we were separated from the events by Death, but that made it more painful to read, not easier. I wanted to go in and make it all better, stop the madness and bring everyone back to life. But, of course, that couldn't happen. So, I was left w/ this feeling of utter powerlessness as things just seemed to uncontrolably snowball. I suggest that is what Zusak wanted us to feel before he brought Max back. The Hubermann's stood in the path of the snowball and, even though things seemed consumed by evil, they won. At a great price, yes, but they won.

message 4: by Megan (last edited Apr 28, 2008 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (meganmme) I just finished this morning and I must say, this has been one of the best books I have read in a very long time.

I agree death as narrator elevated the book to a new level but, even without it, the story would have been great--the characters were deep and the setting wonderfully detailed.

I think death as narrator did soften the blow to the end. It made the deaths of the hubermans especially somehow more deep and meaningful. They died in such a shallow, impersonal way (bombing from far above--and a mistaken target at that) that seeing how they met death and his impressions of them made it more significant and easier to bear.

All in all, I'd recommend this to any adult and any mature teenager. I think the seriousness of the subjects (nazi germany, death, etc) aren't something I would present to a young/immature teenager.

Ashley (readerandwriter) This book was the best YA novel I have ever read in my entire life. I recommend it to every kid, teenager, and adult.

Elizabeth | 25 comments The book was amazing. I finished this morning, and I can't remember the last time I found myself so profoundly affected by a novel. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, and terrible. I will be recommending it to just about everyone. I can see now why schools are making it required reading.

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments This book was amazing and I think everyone should read it.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
This is a good book. One of the best I have read in a long time.

PandaRanda After I finished balling my eyes out...and mentioned to struggle over the last few pages of the book, well I started thinking.
Did Liesel marry Max in the end? It didn't really say anything but...when Death comes to take Liesel away he says:

"In her final visions, she saw her three children, her grandchildren, her husband, and the long list of lives that merged with hers. Among them, lit like lanterns, were Hans and Rosa Hubermann, her brother, and the boy whose hair remained the colour of lemons forever."

He didn't mention Max's name and well I thought that he would be someone important among the Hubermanns, Rudy and her brother, unless of course Max was her husband right??

So what do you think?

P.S. Everyone's posts made fresh tears spring from my eyes T_T, I love this book so much. I was never one to enjoy sad books...but this was amazing, it was phenomenal.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I have a friend who read it who assumed that Liesel married Max, which was something I hadn't even considered. But now think possibly.

lionlady | 32 comments Wow, hadn't thought of Liesel marrying Max. I'll have to give that some thought, but it kinda makes sense.

PandaRanda I hope she married Max in the end, the two sole survivors of their little 'end of the world'. I wouldn't like to think that she was able to move on from Rudy so easily and chose some random guy, my heart feels more settled believing that Max took care of her in turn in the end. :D
I wish Rudy didn't have to die T__________T!

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments I didnt think of that until you brought it up so I looked at the end of the book again and I believe it could be possible because in one of the last chapters titled MAX. it says how in Oct 1945 Max came into the tailor shop asking for Liesel, and they hugged and cried and fell to the floor.

Ms. Hicks | 25 comments Hmmm. I assumed that Liesel and Max got married too.

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I actually just thought they would be friends... it never occured to me that they got married, but I would like to think that they did.

Brigid ✩ I was wondering that, too. it never said ... maybe it was supposed to be implied? idk.
anyway, i thought it was an amazing book. although it was utterly depressing; i think it'll take me a long time to recover from it ... but wow. it was really good!

Jamie | 2 comments Mmmm, I don't think Max would've married Liesel. I don't really have a reason, but to me that idea just seems... wrong?

Brigid ✩ hmm yeah i suppose there is a bit of an age difference, but still ... yeah. idk.

Michelle (pinklets) | 23 comments Throughout reading this book, I kept thinking, "Wow this is really intense for a YA novel." But it needed to be intense; that's why it was so great. The narrator, Death, sucked me in. His voice was softer than I expected. He was captivated by Liesel, as we all were. Each and everyone one of the characters touched me... of course, as most of you probably did, I sobbed at the end. It was such a beautiful story!

Brigid ✩ Definitely! I cried at the end ... and then I was in this daze of shock for like hours afterward. Such a devastating ending. But such an amazing and emotional book. I adored it. <3