Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Bad Guys You Love To Hate

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments There are tons of bad guys or nasty characters in the Harry Potter books, ranging from Voldemort to Umbridge to Rita Skeeter. Which ones did you love reading about? Which ones did you want to skip over?

Some "bad guys" that come to mind (or people that are not helping good) are:
Voldemort
The Malfoy's
Bellatrix
Umbridge
Lockhart
Rita Skeeter
Death Eaters
Snape (I know he's not a bad guy, but I think part he fits this discussion)
Etc. Etc.

I love reading almost all the characters, but I can't stand Lockhart. I think he is really well written, otherwise he couldn't be that way. I love him. Umbridge is the same way. I think Rowling writes amazing bad guys. They aren't just caricatures. They each have real struggles and real reasons for being the way they are. And you can never be sure if you really know what those reasons are. Take Snape for example. He was the complete opposite of everything he seemed to be earlier in the series. leave it to Rowling to come up with such complex characters.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina | 32 comments Umbridge is number one, I think. really hate her. She's like Voldemort, just not as gifted.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to agree about Umbridge.

message 4: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Yep. Umbridge. I loved to hate her. Most of the bad guys I could sympathize with (great that JKR writes such complex bad guys that you can) but her I loved to hate.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep. They made the GR font bigger.... Sorry, just had to point that out.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "I hate Umbridge. Rite Skeeter was annoying, and I was really annoyed by Lockhart. I kind of liked Bellatrix because she's so eccentric and it was fun to read about her, but I really hated her for k..."

I agree completely.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "I hate Umbridge. Rite Skeeter was annoying, and I was really annoyed by Lockhart. I kind of liked Bellatrix because she's so eccentric and it was fun to read about her, but I really hated her for k..."

YEP!!!

message 8: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Ella, you are very observant. They switched it from 11 pt to 13 pt font.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I know!!!

message 10: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments That bugged me a lot.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Annalisa wrote: "Ella, you are very observant. They switched it from 11 pt to 13 pt font."

Whoa. I did not notice.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a lot better too, you can actually see what you are typing.

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (MusicFreak) | 62 comments LOL

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments :) Hurray!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

But when you send the message it looks the same on the screen. :(

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats irritates me a lot.

message 17: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I also didn't like the Malfoy's. They were really well written but the lot of um are cowards.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Meghan wrote: "I also didn't like the Malfoy's. They were really well written but the lot of um are cowards."

*Nods* Yep.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate that family.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Malfoys? *Goes to bathroom and pukes.*

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Madison♥ wrote: "errrg. I wanted to strangle Rita Skeeter!!!!!"

WFnhgjdfgfdnbnws!!!!!! *Starts yelling jibberish in agreement*

message 22: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Was any one bugged with Ron and Hermione in HBP? I was. I was like "duh! of course Harry's right about Malfoy!"

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! Hermoine should have fit the peices together right away. Ron was to into girls at the time and was to distracted.

message 24: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Sometimes you want to grab the characters and give them a good shake.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

He he he. Yea! That is s true Megan. :)

message 26: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 15, 2010 03:50PM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I don't really blame Ron and Hermione at first. I think, looking at events from their point of view and seeing Malfoy's behavior at the beginning of the story, it doesn seem that Malfoy may be up to no good, but circumstances don't immediately indicate that he has been made a Death Eater and given the task of murder. (Of course, seeing it as someone reading the story it's obvious.) Later on, more information turns up to support Harry, and the others can't deny that Malfoy is up to something, but since they can't see concrete evidence of Malfoy's actions at school, I can still see why they might view Harry's feelings toward Malfoy as an obsession. Ron and Hermione do not have the same burning curiosity that Harry does. Hermione is very rational and it just seems, so unreasonable to her that Malfoy could have been made a Death Eater at 16 and been given a dangerous mission (Just as she cannot first believe that the Deathly Hallows could possible exist in the next book.) Ron, I agree is distracted - he just doesn't consider the matter to be of much importance at first, and later, nothing shows him that Harry's suspicians could me more than just part of an obsession. Anyway, Ron and Hermione's feelings make the book more interesting than it would have been if everyone had just accepted that Malfoy was up to something right away.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I always thought it was sorta obvious he would become a death eater, most his family was in the first place. I found it annoying that Ron and Hermione didn't believe Harry, but yes that would be hard to believe at first without any real proof.

message 28: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 15, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

It's not the idea that he would become a Death Eater eventually that Hermione finds unreasonable. It just doesn't seem likely to her that Voldemort would make Malfoy a Death Eater at 16 and gave him an important task when he's unqualified.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Is there like an age limit to when you can become a death eater or not? If so, is Malfoy under the limit?

message 30: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 15, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

No, but the Death Eaters are Voldemort's inner circle of supporters - elites, in a way, with their Dark Marks, that only the most privledged of Voldemort's supporters have. Voldemort, one would expect, would only make powerful, highly qualified, or otherwise useful people into Death Eaters. To say the least, one would expect him to choose adults. Malfoy, who is only 16 at this time, has not come of age, so cannot be called an adult.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, okay. I mean, you have to admit there wouldn't be much of a story if Malfoy didn't ever join Voldemort and do something, you know?

message 32: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Of course. I'm just saying why people might have found it hard to believe Harry.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you do have to admit he lies a lot, so yes I can see people not believing him.

message 34: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 15, 2010 07:25PM) (new)

Lies a lot? Yes, maybe to authority figures to avoid trouble, but to his best friends? I'm not saying he doesn't occasionally try to conceal things from his friends at first, like the fact that he hasn't worked out the golden egg, or that he's still having funny dreams because he hasn't been practicing Occlumency; and Harry does sometimes withhold informamtion, like the prophecy he hears at the end at OotP, but this I think, is not the same as the outright lying, you seem to be suggesting. He rarely, if ever spitefully lies to them. I understand that you mean that they might not belive him because he has been wrong about people before. This makes sense - Harry wrongly suspects Snape in SS and GoF.

message 35: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments But Ron and Hermione were very ready to accuse Malfoy in previous books. I think this was inconsistent with the rest of the story.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I know what you mean Megan, they are always ready to accuse Malfoy of doing something bad like in CoS, but then suddenly in this song they don't suspect them!

message 37: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 15, 2010 08:03PM) (new)

Well, Ron and Hermione are ready to accuse Malfoy in CoS, but they find out he is not the culprit. They're ready to accuse Snape in SS, but they find he's not the culprit. Ron, is still ready to accuse Snape in, Gof, but they're wrong again. Hermione, though, doesn't accuse people without more of a reason - As in GoF she doesn't agree with Ron's assesment of Snape. This can also be seen in events as small as the time in OotP when she doesn't it think it reasonable that Malfoy tipped Filch about the dungbombs. Ron is not ready to accuse people without something to excite him.
In HBP, however, there isn't a driving event (opening of a chamber, Harry's name being entered in Goblet i.e) that would cause them to immediately accuse someone and drive them to action (apart from Harry.) after they have been wrong the previous times. Malfoy's deeds hover in the back of the story for them. The lack of the driving even puts Ron off, and the lack of reason puts Hermione off. (In a way, HBP, is the most "normal" of their years) Circumstances seem to prove that Malfoy could not have sent the necklace and there doesn't seem to be a way that he could have smuggled in the poison in the meade. Harry has no clear idea what Malfoy's purpose is: he can only say that he's "up to something." There isn't a clear thing, such as opening the Chamber of Secrets to accuse Malfoy of doing. Without anything substantive to go on, Ron, as Shae said, is more concerned about snogging and being a teenage boy than about vague suspicians on Malfoy. Hermione is affected by this, whether she wants to show it or not. To both of them, Harry seems increasingly irritating in persisting in accusing Malfoy.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, now that you said that Pandy I get it. Thanks!

message 39: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Well, I was wondering about that. Ron and Hermione didn't really seem to care about who was doing all this stuff. I mean, Ron was poisoned, and neither Ron or Hermione try to figure out or point a finger at a possible culprit. In previous years, they made it their business to stick their noses into plenty of peoples business in order to find out what was going on. And in the end, they always found out the truth. I just think they should have been a little more interested. Maybe not even accusing Malfoy, but trying to figure out what was going on.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Meghan wrote: "Well, I was wondering about that. Ron and Hermione didn't really seem to care about who was doing all this stuff. I mean, Ron was poisoned, and neither Ron or Hermione try to figure out or point a ..."

Yeah, that's how I always thought.

message 41: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Yeah. They should have accused someone, besides just thinking, "Someone is trying to kill someone in Hogwarts."

message 42: by misfaraluvu (new)

misfaraluvu | 10 comments umbridge...she so mean...especially for harry punishment..

message 43: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Umbridge is awful!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I like that Rowling brought Umbridge back in the 7th book.

message 45: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I love seeing Umbridge again in DH too. I can't wait to see Imelda Staunton in the film.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Who?

message 47: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

She plays Umbridge in the films.

message 48: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay My Principal is Umbridge in man form, so I love reading about the DA's rebellion!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Pandy wrote: "She plays Umbridge in the films."

Oh, okay. I guess that makes sense.

message 50: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I love Imelda Staunton! Has anyone seen her in Sense and Sensibility? Or Cranford? She is so good! I love her as Umbridge as well!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread