Sacramento readers discussion

Books that take place in Sacramento?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille H (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Camille H (couillons) | 5 comments Mod
If you know of any, please add them to the group. I added the only ones that I knew of, including some books by authors from Sac.

message 2: by Mimi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Mimi McCartney | 1 comments I'm a newbie and can't figure out where to find your recommendations. The thread contains your topic, the post and last activity. I can't find your Sac recommendations! Did you list any?

There's Karen Kijewski who has a local P.I., Kat Colorado, much the same as the Sue Grafton books. I'd put her a step above SG.

There's also Steve Martini. I looked him up before this post and find that his latest books take place in San Diego; oh well, if I had a few best sellers, I'd probably move there too.

message 3: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Jason | 2 comments I know of two recent books with scenes in Sacramento: Shawna Yang Ryan's Locke 1928 and John Lescroart's The Suspect.

message 4: by Mary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Mary | 2 comments Off the top of my head, Richard Rodriguez's "The Hunger of Memory" and Ernesto Galarza's (sp?) "Barrio Boy." Also parts of William Vollman's "The Royal Family." Otherwise I'd say writers whose work includes some settings in Sacramento: R. Crumb (okay, actually more Yolo County) Raymond Carver, Adrian Tomine, & Joan Didion.

message 5: by Camille H (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

I have added all these books to the "Sacramento readers" bookshelf on our group page.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Susan | 2 comments The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler taks place in Davis and Sacramento. And it's soon to be a movie.

message 7: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Meg | 1 comments Isabel Allende's Daughter of Fortune has scenes in Sacramento during the Gold Rush. Also not too far from here, Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner, is partly set in Grass Valley, and Frank Norris's The Octopus takes place in the San Joaquin Valley with mentions of Sacramento. I haven't read the latter since high school, so I'm not sure where it's set in the San Joaquin Valley or if any of the action ever makes it up to Sac.

message 8: by Kara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Kara (KaraSyn) | 1 comments Tom Robbins' Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates takes place partly in Sacramento (although only theoretically, since the scenes in Sacramento take place inside a house and there are no actual references to the actual town).

message 9: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Susan | 2 comments If we are going to include books that take place near to Sacramento, then we must include Mark Twain's The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calavaras County.

message 10: by Kris (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Kris | 2 comments On Gold Mountain, by Lisa See contains a history on Sacramento's China Town that I found interesting. The whole book is not set in Sac, though.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 2 comments I heard that William Vollmann wrote a story about train hopping and interviewed some kids who live in Sac. I wish I knew what the book was called....

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Sacramento has a China Town?

message 13: by James (new)

James W. (jamescotton_99) | 2 comments Yeah...last exit on Interstate 5 just before Discovery Park...

message 14: by Camille H (new)

I think I have added all the Sac-related books to the group bookshelf. If you think of any others, feel free to add.

message 15: by Elanor (new)

Elanor | 1 comments It has *a* scene in Sacramento -- with most of the action taking place in SF/Oakland, but it's an awesome read: _Carter Beats the Devil_.

message 16: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Myrtle  (cosmicamericangirl) | 1 comments another tom robbins book 'another roadside attraction' takes place in sacramento... well part of the book does. this group of crazy gypsy hippies camp out on the banks of the sacramento river!

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments This is an old thread, but Diane Johnson's The Shadow Knows takes place entirely in Sacramento. A made-up Sacramento with taxis and snowdrifts, but Sacramento nonetheless.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 3 comments If you're counting Twain, you should definitely include "Roughing it."

Susan wrote: "If we are going to include books that take place near to Sacramento, then we must include Mark Twain's The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calavaras County.

"

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori | 3 comments Delta Girls by Gayle Brandeis is going to be published in June. I'm looking forward to reading about the Delta.
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Girls-Nov...

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie | 3 comments There's also a good novel about the history of Sacramento called "River of Red Gold," by Naida West.River of Red Gold

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (preciousandreckless) | 1 comments Elanor wrote: "It has *a* scene in Sacramento -- with most of the action taking place in SF/Oakland, but it's an awesome read: _Carter Beats the Devil_."

Thanks for the reccomendation! It sounds interesting. I'll check it out : )

message 22: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia Ludlow (lavinialudlow) | 2 comments not to toot my own horn, but my upcoming novel alt.punk takes place in the fine city of Sacramento. : )

message 23: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 9 comments There's Amy Lane's Vulnerable (Little Goddess, #1) by Amy Lane series that takes place all around Sacramento and at Sac State. And then there's The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, which is Davis but does have a scene at the downtown Sacramento Public Library.

message 24: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 9 comments Where I Was From, she writes about being raised around Sacramento.

message 25: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 9 comments Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr had a scene in Sacramento.

message 26: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia Ludlow (lavinialudlow) | 2 comments my upcoming novel "alt.punk" is set in Sacramento, was written in Sacramento, and published by a publisher in Sacramento : )

message 27: by Katharine (last edited Jun 07, 2011 05:57PM) (new)

Katharine I just finally read The Jane Austen Book Club. A lot better than I worried it might be. I laughed at her talking about people in the book club the same way I talk to people in my bookclub. "No book articulation before the meeting!" lol

It's fun to read a book that takes place around places I go to all the time.

message 28: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 9 comments I know, with the library scene - that's the downtown library. I went to a wedding there and was in the same room.

message 29: by Irene Velbeck (new)

Irene Velbeck | 1 comments Parents Behaving Badly by Scott Gummer takes place in a fake suburb of Sacramento.

message 30: by James (new)

James Dante | 1 comments I am a Sacramento author, but my novel is set in Korea. Would I be able to add it? Thank you.

message 31: by April (new)

April | 2 comments I'll be picking up, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, and reading it next week.

message 32: by Carolyn F. (new)

message 33: by April (new)

April | 2 comments How is Perfume a Sacramento related book? It seems to take place in Europe. It was listed on bookshelf. Has anyone read it?

message 34: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 9 comments April wrote: "How is Perfume a Sacramento related book? It seems to take place in Europe. It was listed on bookshelf. Has anyone read it?"

Sacramento writer?

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Varadan | 2 comments If you like Middle Grade fiction, my book, The Fourth Wish, takes place in Sacramento.

message 36: by Linda (last edited May 04, 2015 09:10PM) (new)

Linda Westphal | 1 comments Hi. I just released a fiction book titled THE HERMIT BOOKSTORE. It takes place in Lotus (near Coloma).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Megan's Picks For Today Blog (MamasCandyLit) | 1 comments Silenced is a book by a sacramento author Alison Brennan.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Varadan | 2 comments Julie wrote: "There's also a good novel about the history of Sacramento called "River of Red Gold," by Naida West.River of Red Gold"

I read that book a few years ago. It was a good read.

message 39: by Lawrence (last edited Sep 21, 2015 05:23PM) (new)

Lawrence | 1 comments Did Sid? by Paul Robins
"Did Sid?" by Paul Robins is a YA/murder mystery book that takes place around the Broadway/10th St area in the 1980s. Mention of several local landmarks made it seem easier to picture.

The author was interviewed on Insight on Capital Public Radio a few months ago.

message 40: by Randall (new)

Randall Barsch | 6 comments Hi, I'm new to goodreads, this group, and being an author; so I'm like super newb right now. Anyways, I'm a Sacramento local, born and raised, and I just published my first book on Amazon called The White Oak Casket. It's a fiction novel and I'd love to have it added to your shelf, but I'm not sure I know how to do that yet.

message 41: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 2 comments I just added this to my "want to read" list. Do you have an e-version?

I'm an I-pad/kindle user so that's the easiest way to use it.

A lot of my friends use kindle unlimited, so if it's available I'll recommend.

Thanks!

message 42: by Randall (new)

Randall Barsch | 6 comments @Meghan
yes, my book is available through kindle unlimited. thanks for the interest! if you go through my author page you cam find both versions easily! www.amazon.com/author/randalljbarsch