Movies We've Just Watched discussion

bloody, gory, scary or thrilling movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments I just watched One Missed Call last night and it was messed up but it was really good though. What I really want to see is Shutter, I think it's already out in theaters. I Am Legend is good too.

message 2: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 86 comments Rob, I had read The Mist years and years ago and it scared the hell out of me! I wonder if the movie is as good.

Silence of the Lambs is one of my all time favorite scary movies. The Changeling with George C. Scott scared me silly when I was younger.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

If anyone is interested in (good) horror films, then by all means join the (good) horror films group and come discuss! Admittedly, though...I think we're kind of horror snobs, if that's cool.

message 4: by Schmitty (new)

Schmitty (tastygreenjelly) I am Legend, I love the movie but the book is extremely better

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Cox (kimcox) | 1 comments This is a good movie. I don't why, but I hadn't realized it was a Horror movie until I started watching it. I was thinking Action/Adventure when I turned I bought it from PPV. I'm not usually that into Horror movies anymore (used to love them), but this one was a good one that kept me on the edge of my seat.
www.kimcox.org

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Misery - what a movie!!

message 7: by MJ (new)

MJ When I was little around the age of 8 I saw Jaws and Halloween 1 and 2 the same night. To this day they both freak me out a little.

This also started a trend that horrified my mother - I loved to be scared!!!!

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments I watched I Am Legend and Cloverfield on Friday night. I loved them both, for very different reasons. I made my husband stay awake because I get scared easily...he even got into the movies and watched them both!

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I love bad horror movies, but they've got to be a certain TYPE of bad. Like Jeepers Creepers is pretty bad, but I like it. Thirteen Ghosts, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Black Sheep (zombie sheep in New Zealand), Devil's Rain (Satanists, starring William Shatner). . . The list goes on. . . I also love the horror movies from the 50s & 60s that mostly involve mutated creatures &/or aliens.

message 10: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments cloverfield isn't that bad, what do you think?

message 11: by Asia (last edited Apr 29, 2008 05:24PM) (new)

Asia | 26 comments i love the descent! in the back of my mind, i was thinking for them to just get the hell out of the cave! Saw...I think Saws getting kind of stupid and boring because the same stuff happens over and over again with the twisted torture and stuff but Saws good to watch once in a while.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The last 20 minutes or so of Saw look like the director's five year old son took over the camera.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, I like how goodreads is basically becoming one big billboad for Inside.

But I'll throw in my vote for it as well. It was real good.

message 14: by George (last edited May 01, 2008 09:04AM) (new)

George | 951 comments I'd say The Descent is the best entry in the genre for quite some time. The comparison with Aliens is very on target for me. I'd certainly put these ladies up there with the Marines in Aliens, if not even a step or two higher, since they're going toe to toe with picks and bones, not automatic weapons and flamethrowers. It's been quite a while since I enjoyed this type of film so much.

I thought The Hills Have Eyes was a reasonable effort as well.

How about Hostel? I've dropped all plans to vacation in Slovakia any time soon.

message 15: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments The U.S. doesn't make true scary, gory horror any more. It's all regurgitated plots and sequels for the masses. I'll take almost any type of foreign horror any day over anything made here. People complain about the subtitles, but I'd rather read those and see a good movie.

Stuff you should see-
The Wilderness
Severance
Girl Next Door (I couldn't watch the entire thing)
Black Sheep (cheesy at times, but in a good way)
Audition
Battle Royale

Has anyone seen Mulberry Street or Rec?

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2008 09:01PM) (new)

Battle Royale is fantastic, but I wouldn't really categorize it as "scary" or amongst most of those others.

I'm searching out Rec right now. Based on what little I could find out, it sounds pretty good.

message 17: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments me and my friends wanna go see prom night this friday!! it looks so good! The Mist was so good. I liked it and i heard there was a book of it.....

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I couldnt take the Descent seriously because the creatures reminded me of batboy from the weekly world news....

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments I disagree...I disliked The Descent...no comparison in quality to Aliens!

message 20: by amber (new)

amber | 2 comments I second Black Sheep.... sheep zombies! The Descent was also very good. One of the better horror movies to come out in a long time. I also really liked 30 Days of Night. I have a soft spot for vampire movies in general.

message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments The Descent was one of the more quality horror films released in the past couple of years in my opinion. The creatures might have been less than what your minds-eye might have been expecting, but it was the tone of the entire film combined with the atmosphere that made it one of the better horror films. I thought it brought out feelings, which is good for any film especially one of that genre.

message 22: by Asia (last edited May 01, 2008 04:33PM) (new)

Asia | 26 comments your comments are true, the descent was absolutely fake of course but it was thrilling but i wouldn't watch it again because it was kind of boring. I still like it. Prom doesn't look as scary but it looks really good.

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments Rob: I think my dislike of the Descent is just a personal taste thing...I couldn't get past the stupidity of going into an unknown cave without a backup plan in the first place (I've done some climbing, etc. myself and that goes against rule #1), so I had a bad taste in my mouth about the plot. Then I was just like "get out of the cave, idiots" for the rest of the movie. I didn't like the creatures, either.

message 24: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments enough talk about the descent please? wut about the old time horror movies?

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Psycho comes to mind.I remember watching it late at night with my sister when we were kids.It was years before either of us felt safe taking a shower when home alone.

message 26: by Miss Kim (last edited May 02, 2008 02:05PM) (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) The Blair Witch Project was one of the scariest movies I'd ever seen at the time. The way it was supposed to be 'real footage found..." I saw it in the theatre and the whole place was dead silent which made made it even scarier. The screen would fade to black while they ran from whatever 'thing' was in the woods and all you can hear is them running and breathing. They never show what or who the killer is. I've seen it several times since then, and its lost 'fear factor'.

message 27: by MJ (new)

MJ Sherry
I think I saw Psycho when I was way to young because to this day before I take a shower I wake through my place and make sure all windows and doors are locked. I then lock the bathroom door, then I turn the radio on loud. In case anyone does get in I dont want to hear them coming. Keep in mind in addition to my attack cat (and she is mean) I have a rotweiler as a roommate. And I still go through this routine.

message 28: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments ya, Psycho is pretty old.

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Michael
I had to laugh reading your comment because I sooo still do that!I think I was 8 or 9 when I saw it (I know,I'm totally dating myself)and I'm still traumatized.It may be old but for it's time it was pretty good.

message 30: by MJ (new)

MJ Alfred Hitchcock knew how to make a scary movies. I think they are best because they leave so much to your imagination. Your mind is left to wonder at the possibilities and that is worse than seeing it in all its bloody gory glory.

message 31: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Psycho is pretty old, but it created the whole slasher film industry, for better or worse. To really appreciate it, you have to see it in an audience and feel the collective fear and tension it creates. Psycho is a masterpiece created by one of the greatest directors of all time and he definitely knew how to manipulate the audience's emotion by the time he got to this film. It doesn't depend on special effects or gore to terrify, because it doesn't have to.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I am Legend is not very scary, but a good film at that. Signs is pretty good, not to scary, but an edge of the seat movie. Sixth Sense is sorta scary, but the story line is the best part.

message 33: by Asia (last edited May 03, 2008 10:44PM) (new)

Asia | 26 comments I don't like grudge because it was so fake! i hate how they animated it to make it look scary but seemed stupid. who agrees with me? any thoughts of cloverfield? i think cloverfield wasn't as good but i would watch it again. prom night was very korny!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

prom night was stupid. I saw it last night with my friend. We were bored and confused the entire movie! But did anyone who saw prom night the preview for the strangers? that looks like a scary movie.

message 35: by David (new)

David (sfdavide) | 33 comments Watch the Japanese horror films and see how a film can be scary with a small budget and not much gore (exception: Audition). Ju-on and Ringu were both scarier then the American versions(The Grudge and The ring) in my opinion.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

good point. they make it super scary.

message 37: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments i never knew that japanese horror films could be so good! :D have anyone seen untraceable?

message 38: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments If you like Japanese horror you should expand to other foreign horror also, you'd be amazed at how much good stuff is out there.

message 39: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments Exorcist is good....but wut about some other movie like....

message 40: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments wow.....i must be stupid but i never heard of Dead and Buried

message 41: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Speaking of foreign horror, watched an interesting Koream movie called The Host.Has anyone else seen it?Some good edge of your seat scenes in it.And I have to agree about The Exorcist.I watched most of it through my fingers.
(I know,this probably makes me a wus)

message 42: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments The Host was decent IMO, but I think what made it good was the human storyline. The monster was definitely not scary, but there was plenty of suspense.

message 43: by Asia (last edited May 05, 2008 09:36AM) (new)

Asia | 26 comments I usually download my movies from the internet and put them into writable discs and I geuss, I'm gonna have to find and download Dead and Buried because it sounds so good!!!! So, any other suggestions of good horror movies. Have anyone seen Disturbia? What about Hills Have Eyes? and I think House of Wax is pretty stupid, but it was kind of good in a way......

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I'm not a huge horror fan and I found The Host enjoyable. The monster itself made me laugh, but as a previous person commented, the human storyline was good. I got to see it in the theater and I suspect it's one of those movies that's more fun to see with an audience.

message 45: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments I'm a fan to any movies! I love horror movies and funny movies some other popular stuff!

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) The movie of The Mist loosely follows the story by Stephen King, but definetly didn't scare me as much as my imaginings when I was reading the story for myself.

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) I am Legend was a great film and Will Smith was superb. I always love his ability to bring a bit of humor into his character regardless of the plotline of the movie. Cloverfield I enjoyed while I watched, but was left with too many loose ends to say I really liked it.

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) A great movie I saw recently was The Orphanage. I do not scare easily and there were a few parts of this movie that made my heart jump. It is in Spanish with subtitles. Very much worth the watch.

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) And I still stand by my all time favorite ... The Amityville Horror, the original with Margot Kidder. As goofy as it may seem now, it was an edge of my seat film back in the day and I am still taken with the true story of that house. I saw the newer version with Ryan Reynolds and it was great to see him in such a different role and see his versatility, but it just didn't compare to the original. I love horror from the '70s. I think it is the lack of technology that makes these films seem more frightening to me.

message 50: by Asia (new)

Asia | 26 comments Will Smith is the greatist!!! He's a great actor, espically in I am Legend!