Stardust Stardust discussion

Movie and such

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JR (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR Clark I really loved this book! :-) I hope that the movie does it justice; anyone seen it yet?

message 2: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen The movie was definately different from the book. A lot of the beginning was simplified, but that is not to say I didn't enjoy the movie. I really really liked it. I am actually rereading the book now since it had been about 2.5 years since I first read it, and I honestly didn't remember much.

message 3: by Leah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah I have to say after reading the book, I prefer the movie. Maybe it's the romantic in me but the movie had a more satisfying ending. I also felt that the movie fleshed out certain characters in a really positive way. Robert DeNiro's Captain Shakespeare was hysterical and perfect. I also preferred the movie's climactic final showdown with the witch Lamia to the book's rather whimpy ending with her, but that's just me. I really loved the book and I really loved the movie and I think that they should be treated as completely separate entities.

message 4: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Rebecca The book and the movie are kind of like different tellings of a classic fairytale. Both are highly enjoyable, despite their differences. I didn't have very high hopes going into the theatre because I could not comprehend so many of the casting decisions, but boy was I wrong. It was amazing and everyone felt perfect for their parts. I highly reccomend seeing this movie, even if you've never read the book!

message 5: by Samantha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samantha I have to agree... I just finished reading the book after seeing the movie and BOTH were equally enjoyable despite their differences.

Kathryn I saw the movie before I read the book, so a comparison between the two was inevitable and, moreover, greatly influenced my opinion of the book. I loved the movie! I liked the book. Unlike most book-to-film adaptations, however, I felt that the movie had more character development and more details; and, indeed, more heart and more humor. I missed a lot of the movie's plot and characterization when I read the book.

The basic premise of the book and movie are the same, but significant changes in plot and character development (even the cast of characters) provide a few surprises no matter which order you see/read them in. The movie has a much more typically "climactic" ending in terms of drama/action/excitement and a more deeply developed love story. It also has a more traditionally "happy ending."

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't ever seen the movie. I loved the book though.

Dhfan4life I just read/listened to the audio book recently after having seen the movie eons ago. And I have to say that I still love BOTH the movie and the book versions. Which is still so surprising to me as I usually prefer one over the other. But I loved the simplified version of the movie and yet the richness of the actual book too. I was sad about a few parts of the book though. But I loved it all the same too.

Derek I liked the book better, but the movie was good too. They had enough differences that I'd really say the movie is based off the book, not just a retelling in film adaption.

Sorrel Both were so good. I think one of the reasons that the movie worked was because it didn't try and stay completely true to the book. It took the bare bones of the story and fleshed it out it in a way and in a direction that was different to that of the book but was great nevertheless. In a way, I think that this almost-re-interpretation was better than other films that have tried to stay true to the book whilst changing things at the same time. I think Neil Gaiman helped a little bit with the writing of the script and the film's development and that, I think, is probably one of the reasons that the movie managed to work so well.