Chick Lit discussion

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments Has anyone read this yet? I have to say I was very disappointed in it and she is one of my favorite writers. I especially loved "One True Thing." But in this case, I felt the characters were very flat and the plot didn't really work for me. Also, I felt she was trying to make a point about societal differences in NY (I grew up there and lived there most of my life, just moved last year), but it felt gratuitous, I don't think an author should try to hard to make political points out of fiction. I also felt the relationship between the sisters not believable at all. I'm interested in any other views on this...

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Matthews | 15 comments I had wondered what "real" readers thought of this book. I bought the book when it first came out, after it had been on television shows and book lists..I thought it would be a great read.
I hate to admit,but this is one of those few books I never finished! I couldn't get into it at all. I didn't like the characters, the plot was boring and I just didn't believe in it, I guess.
I have tried twice more to get into it with no luck!

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments Yes, I agree Stacy, it is one of the few books I never finished either, and I had been a big fan of hers. Did you read One True Thing? I really enjoyed that one and I also felt they did a good adaptation for the movie. I think my main problem was that the relationship between the sisters wasn't believable so I really didn't care that much about the dynamics. Also, the fact the Megan's big downfall by saying a curse word when she thought her microphone was off hardly qualified as a life altering moment, didn't really have literary resonance for me. Oh well... we'll see what she comes up with next....

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Matthews | 15 comments I haven't read OTT. I did like the movie. I will have to pick it up. Thanks!

message 5: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 19 comments I have this book but haven't read it. A friend sent it to me along with some stuff for my son and I put it aside and forgot about it until reading this thread. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1 comments Carrie,
Many years ago as an aspiring newspaper columnist, Anna Quindlen was my role model/idol. Since her foray into fiction, I eagerly picked up anything written by her. Rise and Shine was an enormous disappointment. I titled the review: "A Sad Plunge Into Mediocrity." This book gave me the feeling that she had become a publishing industry product above and beyond the writing talent I had admired so much in the past.

I won't give up on her, though.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky I also agree. I have read other books by her and loved them. I was also very disapointed.

message 8: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments I saw this book at Barnes and Noble in the clearance section and I was so close to buying it until I remembered this post! So thank you everyone for saving my money and saving me wated reading time :) :) :)

message 9: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1 comments I actually loved this book! I saw the audio book in the Bargain section at B&N and really enjoyed listening to it on audio.

I thought it was well written and made the city (NYC) a main character of the story. Which, I love!

If you all thought this was a horrible book, I can't wait to read her other books.

message 10: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 7 comments I agree that Rise and Shine was a huge disappointment. I thought her newest (?) novel Every Last One was, too. Such a shame when you pick up a book by a fabulous writer with such anticipation; when the book is dull or doesn't resonate, I know I feel worse than if it has been from a writer I didn't know at all.

I'd love to hear what book others thought was Quindlen's best? For me it was Black and Blue, hands down!~

Meryl Davids Landau
author, Downward Dog, Upward Fog