Books on the Nightstand discussion

Books on the Nightstand Site Updates

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Hi All-

Ann has taken on the herculean task of moving Books on the Nightstand to Wordpress. In the long run, it will give is more control over the look and structure of the blog. In the short term, we aren't planning any major changes.

All of this means that in the very short term (i.e. the next few days) the site may be down or look strange. Don't worry. We hope that everything will be back to normal by Monday.

Happy New Year!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 220 comments Just want to say thanks to you and Ann - I appreciate all you do for the online book-loving community. It's great to pop over to BOTN and also read comments and reviews at this group home on GoodReads.

message 3: by Michael (new)

thanks Julie! It's truly a labor of love!

message 4: by Conny (new)

Conny I really, really like the new blog or the blog on the new site, particularly the book index. Thank you so much everyone who helped to make this happen. For someone like me who saves up three or four episodes of your podcast to listen to them while cleaning the house or ironing this is a huge help because I can look up titles later and before I delete them. So, a big Dankeschön to all of you.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2096 comments Mod
Thanks, Conny!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Markham (Amanda467) | 3 comments Hey Ann and Michael,

Just thought I'd let you know that you're coming along on my journey into the Simpson Desert in the heart of outback Australia. I'll be enjoying all the shows I haven't caught up on ... oh yeah, and reading books as well.

Take care and thanks again for the excellent podcast.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ooh! When do we start, and what should I wear?
Thank you for taking us along on your adventures!

message 8: by Suraj (new)

Suraj (virtualluffy) | 1 comments just completed reading IF GOD WAS A BANKER on a nightstand... gr8 read... Banking at its best!!

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGill | 1 comments Looks cool. Thanks!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz Brown | 15 comments GLAD THAT IS A SITE WHERE PEOPLE CAN DICUSS THE BOOKS THEY ARE READING. IT IS A GOOD WAY TO FING NEW BOOKS AND TELL OTHER READERS WHAT YOU HAVE READ. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE ARE READING. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 91 comments Liz wrote: "GLAD THAT IS A SITE WHERE PEOPLE CAN DICUSS THE BOOKS THEY ARE READING. IT IS A GOOD WAY TO FING NEW BOOKS AND TELL OTHER READERS WHAT YOU HAVE READ. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE ARE READING. KEE..."

Hi Liz,
Welcome aboard! There is a BOTNS discussion thread under the "general" category called: " What are you reading: April 2011". You will find lots of discussion about what people are reading.
See if this link takes you there: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 12: by PrimalAwakening (new)

PrimalAwakening | 26 comments I'd just like to add I LOVE the "Books On The Nightstand" Podcasts. The author readings really spice things up.It's a shame I live too far to attend.

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara (sjhnchi) | 26 comments I want to urge Ann & Michael to have a Booktopia event in 2013 in Chicago (or metro area). I am willing to help you plan/organize a Chicago Booktopia event.
I really enjoy the podcast. You are awesome!

message 14: by Readnponder (new)

Readnponder | 125 comments Please forgive my ignorance.
I used to get a daily email that contained the recent postings to the BOTNS discussion boards. Now that daily email has ceased. I miss you all and don't know how to reinstate those much anticipated chats.
Can someone give me goodreads technical advice?

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2445 comments Mod
Readnponder wrote: "Please forgive my ignorance.
I used to get a daily email that contained the recent postings to the BOTNS discussion boards. Now that daily email has ceased. I miss you all and don't know how to ..."

At the top of the page, on the right is an arrow box next to your avatar. Click it and use the resulting tabs to double check what your e-mail settings are. If all is o.k., then go to a group called "Goodreads feedback" and put in a complaint.

Occasionally, the system messes up and the tech people need to know to straighten things out.

Good luck!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Sara wrote: "I want to urge Ann & Michael to have a Booktopia event in 2013 in Chicago (or metro area). I am willing to help you plan/organize a Chicago Booktopia event.
I really enjoy the podcast. You are aw..."

I concur! I live in Iowa City which is just a jaunt to Chicago, but difficult to get to the coasts and MS from.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 16 comments Amy wrote: "Sara wrote: "I want to urge Ann & Michael to have a Booktopia event in 2013 in Chicago (or metro area). I am willing to help you plan/organize a Chicago Booktopia event.
I really enjoy the podcas..."

I also concur! I live in Chicago as well and I think it's a great place to have the Midwest Booktopia!

Also, Amy I spent a lot of time in Iowa City (my family lives there and I went to school there) and have personally made an awful lot of between Iowa City and Chicago and the trip is pretty boring but not so bad.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments I don't mind the trip at all... after 3 years of long distance with my now-husband between Iowa City and Omaha (4 hours the other-way), the trip to Chicago is actually slightly less! I friends in the city and family in the NW Indiana suburbs, so I make the trip a few times a year :)

message 19: by Aj (new)

Aj Baker (ajsbaker) | 1 comments Readnponder wrote: "Please forgive my ignorance.
I used to get a daily email that contained the recent postings to the BOTNS discussion boards. Now that daily email has ceased. I miss you all and don't know how to ..."

I have been having the same problem and wondered what had happened.

message 20: by Penney (new)

Penney Aj wrote: "Readnponder wrote: "Please forgive my ignorance.
I used to get a daily email that contained the recent postings to the BOTNS discussion boards. Now that daily email has ceased. I miss you all and..."

Me too. Thought maybe it was something I has accidentally done...

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (ChrisWolak) | 20 comments Sara wrote: "I want to urge Ann & Michael to have a Booktopia event in 2013 in Chicago (or metro area). I am willing to help you plan/organize a Chicago Booktopia event.
I really enjoy the podcast. You are aw..."

I second this request and volunteer to help out as well!

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (CKubala) | 520 comments Mod
Sending sincere thanks to Rob Webb and Linda Johnson for their efforts to keep the BOTNS Index up to date.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Carol wrote: "Sending sincere thanks to Rob Webb and Linda Johnson for their efforts to keep the BOTNS Index up to date."

AMEN, Carol!!

message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2445 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Sending sincere thanks to Rob Webb and Linda Johnson for their efforts to keep the BOTNS Index up to date."

: > )

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments South of broad by Pat Conroy. It didn't get the best of reviews, however; I'm really enjoying it!

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan Ritz (szritz) | 2 comments The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lachs kept me riveted through North Carolina. Wild by Cheryl Strayed was great for a drive through Arizona and New Mexico.

message 27: by Judi (new)

Judi | 17 comments Loved Henrietta Lacks ...just an amazing book. Am reading Schroeder by Amity Gaige. Anyone else reading this?

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (StevieInLA) | 8 comments Judi wrote: "Loved Henrietta Lacks ...just an amazing book. Am reading Schroeder by Amity Gaige. Anyone else reading this?"

I introduced my book club to Henrietta Lacks last year, and it was universally well received (and we have a contentious group)! I just (within the last hour) finished Schroder and, while it was interesting to have the kidnapper's perspective, particularly for someone who followed the notorious Clark Rockefeller case, I am on the fence on this novel. Perhaps I need some more time to process it, but I am not sure that it deserved the glowing reviews that it received. I will be interested in how other readers feel about this book.

message 29: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 90 comments What were your other top two book club reads? My group also loved Henrietta Lacks.

message 30: by Portia (new)

Portia Hi. Please tell me that Riffle is accessible for those of us Facebook-shy old people. I tried to browse the site today and was told I needed Facebook or Twitter to be allowed in. I am SO not ready for the ice floe :( Is this the irst warning?

message 31: by Joe (new)

Joe Barbera | 7 comments thank you for the great show !

message 32: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 40 comments I went to the BOTNS site to get my bingo card and I get a "save or open" message for something that sounded like a tweet button ... I prefer to do neither - what is this? Thanks.

message 33: by Ann (new)

Sandy, I have no idea.
Did you use this link:
http://booksonthenightstand.com/2014/...

You can go directly to the Bingo Card generator here:
http://tinyurl.com/botnsbingo

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 40 comments Ann, thank you. I found I can ignore the message and print the bingo card, so I'm happy and looking forward to the challenge. Thanks for the help, the bingo game and the podcast.

message 35: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (ShainaEG) | 5 comments I'm just going to keep hitting refresh until I get a bingo card without the author that shares my first name square :-)

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 261 comments Closed my eyes, refreshed 3 times and printed a bingo card! Should be interesting!

message 37: by Lara (new)

Lara | 75 comments I just closed my eyes and hit print. I haven't even looked yet, but so excited to discover books this way. I did notice a square that mentions a book that takes place where I live. This sounds interesting, but also a perplexing challenge since live in a very small town.

message 38: by Ann (new)

Where you live can be town, state, country, planet ... Up to you!

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Thayer | 1 comments Enjoyed your little rant's about YA books. Got me to thinking about a book I read in the early 60's by Rosemary Sutcliff, "Dawn Wind". This book inspired a lifetime love for reading. I was able to find a copy through Amazon and look forward to reading it again. Kind of my own experiment about how I will feel reading it as a 60 year old. I occasionally read YA books and don't really have a problem with them. A light read, if its good, can be restful.

message 40: by Steven (new)

Steven Tyler (StevenTyler) | 8 comments Heard Michael's review on "how I killed Pluto and why it deserved it" today while driving around shopping. Sounds like an interesting book. Love to read it but I already have 100 books on my nightstand to get through.

message 41: by Anita (new)

Anita | 9 comments Has anyone else found the new Goodreads recommendations annoying? I hate that when I log on I have a bunch of recommendations listed amongst the updates from friends. If I want recommendations I can click on the button myself. Is there a way to disable this? Besides, most of my to read list comes from BOTN!
Is there a way to disable this?

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol (CKubala) | 520 comments Mod
Anita wrote: "Has anyone else found the new Goodreads recommendations annoying? I hate that when I log on I have a bunch of recommendations listed amongst the updates from friends. If I want recommendations I ca..."

If we're talking about the same thing there is a hide button that seems to work. Ads will remain.
It always amazes me how little attention I pay to these distractions but I know they can be annoying.

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita | 9 comments Carol wrote: "Anita wrote: "Has anyone else found the new Goodreads recommendations annoying? I hate that when I log on I have a bunch of recommendations listed amongst the updates from friends. If I want recomm..."

Thanks, I found that filter and no more endless recommendations.