Harry Potter discussion

Books > Harry's out of body experience

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Joy When Harry is talking to Dumbledoor at towards the end of book 7, there is a creature/baby on the floor that gets shoved under a chair. Any ideas about the symbolism/explanation? I thought that it represented the part of the horcruxe that lived in Harry...

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I was thinking maybe it was baby voldemort ... wasn't sure ... that part confused me.

message 3: by Andi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Andi (AndiSibley) | 3 comments I wondered about that a lot too. My son said he thought it was the baby V. Remember in Goblet of Fire when V. is carried by Wormtail and thrown into the pot with Harry's blood? He looks like some sort of deformed baby creature until he gets his new body from the spell. I think those weird baby creatures are V. in his horcruxe form.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Rachel i think it is voldemort's soul after harry finally kills him. at the end of book 7, when harry gives voldemort a chance to feel remorse, he says that he has seen what will become of voldemort if he does not take the opportunity to repent. i think the shrivelling "baby" on the floor is voldemort's broken, dying, guilt-ridden soul now suffering at the remembrance and understanding of all the evil he has done. not a happy way to spend eternity...

message 5: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Mike D. | 7 comments I wouldn't say it's Voldemort's soul from when Harry kills him, because that hadn't happened yet. I would have to say that it was the part of Voldemort's soul that was trapped inside Harry.

message 6: by Andrea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Andrea | 7 comments Yeah, I'd say it's the dark side of Harry that he is cut off and he wants to help him because it's like an addict quitting something, the desire is still there.

message 7: by Natalie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Natalie I agree with Mike. We discussed this at my book club last week and that's what we concluded -- it was the part of Voldemort's soul that had been in Harry -- the horcrux. That explanation makes the most sense to me.

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I agree with Mike and Natalie. And no way is Harry wanting to do evil! THe books prove this. He fought against, could've jioned, but didn't. I think he just didn't know what it was and Harry is to kind not to pitty something.

message 9: by Sarah Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Sarah Anne (sarahaf712) | 38 comments I agree with Mike, Natalie, Meghan, and Andrea.

Voldie's sould will never get put back together, will it? He'll just kind of be in eight pieces (the objects, Voldie himself, and Harry. I think it's eight, is it?), won't he? But what if he did get put back together? Do you think he would be a different person? Maybe he'd be skitzofrenik (can't spell).

message 10: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Cindy (supercin721) | 26 comments I'm torn between these two interpretations:
1. It is the remains of Voldemort's soul, the evil in him defeated and broken.
2. It is the part of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry, defeated and broken.
Either way, it's a symbol of Voldemort destroyed and Harry's freedom.

That whole exchange in pseudo heaven was a bit strange and awkward for me. It almost felt like it didn't belong. Anyway, that's my take.

message 11: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore I think it was the part of Voldemort's soul in *Voldemort's* body. I don't have the book in front of me, but I recall that both Harry and Voldemort were unconcious for the same amount of time.

I disagree with the comment above that says it's Voldemort's "guilt-ridden" soul. I think it is upset because of being powerless. Voldemort values power most.

message 12: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Jane I just re-read that section and realized that I had missed something. Dumbledore's original theory was that Tom Riddle wanted to split his soul into seven parts - six residing in Horcruxes and the last piece was the remaining soul that survived his first attack on Harry. That left the following Horcruxes: The Ring, The Diary, the Cup, The Diadum, The Snake and The Locket. BUT Voldemort actually split his soul into 8 parts when you add that Harry became a Horcrux. I believe when Dumbledore is talking to Harry at King's Cross/aka in Harry's mind, he referred to Harry as "the horcrux Voldemort never meant to make". I think it's the 7th part of Voldemort's soul which is the baby in the station.

message 13: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore Hey Jane:

When you frame King's Crossing as being "in Harry's mind," I think I agree that the baby would be the part of Voldemort's soul that is/was in Harry.

I was imagining (perhaps based on the fact that I read this concurrently with re-reading The Lovely Bones for my bookclub) that Harry and Voldemort were in the same intermediate afterlife location, which is why I was thinking the baby was the part of Voldy's soul that had resided in Voldy's body. I thought that may have been supported by Voldemort's unconciousness coinciding with Harry's.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

What? I'll have to go back and read that again....

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) I agree with Mike, Natalie,Meghan and Andrea.

message 16: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments I thought it was something to do with Voldy. The way she discribed it seemed to be a lot like the way Voldy looked in the 4th book with Wormtail... I don't know. It's going to bug me now!

message 17: by Icelyn (new)

Icelyn (Paramore100) | 7 comments I think it was actually Voldy in baby form, just like the movie. When Voldemort "killed" Harry with the Killing Curse, he destroyed the Horocrux inside of Harry. That means he did damage to himself. He had Harry's blood inside of him, so when Harry destroyed the other Horocruxes, it didn't damage him as much, but when he actually hit Harry with the curse, he was transformed back into what he was at the graveyard in the 4th book. Harry coming back was the only reason he was put back to his normal, not as ugly, snake-y self. But that's just how I see it. Sorry if I confused you with my logic. ^_^

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ella wrote: "What? I'll have to go back and read that again...."

Same here.....

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) Rachel wrote "i think it is voldemort's soul after harry finally kills him. at the end of book 7, when harry gives voldemort a chance to feel remorse, he says that he has seen what will become of voldemort if he does not take the opportunity to repent. i think the shrivelling "baby" on the floor is voldemort's broken, dying, guilt-ridden soul now suffering at the remembrance and understanding of all the evil he has done. not a happy way to spend eternity..."

I completely agree with you. That is exactly what I was thinking when I read it as well. It was the part of Voldemorts soul that would be left alone and abandoned for all eternity as a shriveled up and ugly form. The only reason the "baby" was mentioned is to show how small and helpless it looked....it was not in actuality a baby but rather the form of one.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait, so Harry was a horcrux?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG ELLA! YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT?!

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) Have you read the 7th book?

message 23: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 170 comments Harry was the 7th horcrux!!!! You didn't know????????!!!!!!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Tsk, tsk, Ella.

message 25: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Sep 03, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
No. As mentioned above, the baby represents what Voldemort's soul will be. Harry mentions this in the final confrontation when he asks Riddle to try for remorse. From JKR's website:

Q: "What exactly was the mutilated baby-like creature Harry saw at King's Cross in chapter 35 of 'Hallows'?"

A: "I’ve been asked this a LOT. It is the last piece of soul Voldemort possesses. When Voldemort attacks Harry, they both fall temporarily unconscious, and both their souls - Harry's undamaged and healthy, Voldemort’s stunted and maimed - appear in the limbo where Harry meets Dumbledore."

message 26: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (EMTP513) | 59 comments On her web site, J.K. Rowling says it's Voldemort's soul. The seventh piece.
Not that I have a deep understanding of symbolism, but it doesn't sound like symbolism to me.
It sounds like she's coming straight out and identifying it. Kind of like my newest friend, a native of New York City, does. You're never left wondering what he thinks, I'll say THAT for him; but he's hilarious.
One of the things I LIKE about Harry Potter is that the writer doesn't play all the intellectual games that usually pass right over my head anyway that so many authors do.
My daily work makes me too tired to come home and have to think overmuch about my reading material.
I work in Emergency Medicine.

message 27: by Miss Silvertongue (last edited Oct 30, 2010 09:54PM) (new)

Miss Silvertongue (MissSilvertongue) | 105 comments It's like.... in the scene, you see Harry and Dumbledore talking, fully formed and fully clothed just like when they were humans. Then you see Voldemort, this ugly little creature shoved under a chair. It's a personification of their souls when they die. What I'm really curious about is whether this scene means that there's a heaven or some sort of limbo (the train station; Harry gets to choose) and whether or not J.K.R means to show us there's some sort of afterlife in the wizarding world.....

message 28: by Ruby (new)

Ruby | 6 comments When Harry sort of... dies for a little bit, for lack of a better explanation, so does Voldemort. They're there together, the child-thingy is Voldemort's soul, after all the maiming he's done to it. Later, when he and Voldemort are facing off, he says something like, "Try for a little remorse Tom" and mentions how he's seen what he'll become.

Swathi Thiru Thiru | 1 comments The ugly baby thing was Voldemort, both Voldemort and Harry went into this dream/limbo state (if you read carefully, right when Harry 'wakes up', Bellatrix is trying to help Voldemort up, meaning he fell, meaning he too went into this dream). I think it was like, the Horcrux in him died when Harry 'died', so tha was what was left of his mangled soul. I think if Harry had 'went on' at that point, Voldemort would have gone back with that single piece of 'soul', thus why Harry chose to go back.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jbjess) | 9 comments JKR has addressed this -- can't recall exactly where. But as you will recall, both Harry and Voldemort start this "out of body" experience. (Voldmort is waking up the same time Harry is when he comes back to himself in the forest). Voldemort essentially killed the Horcrux bit in Harry with the killing curse -- that is why Harry has the clean, pure image in King's Cross. Because Harry's soul is whole. Voldemort's soul, however, has already been ripped apart 7 times. The baby thing is what's left of Voldemort's soul. I see it as, were both Harry and Voldemort to die and "move on" to heaven or wherever they go - Harry would live in eternity as wholly himself (basically), and Voldemort would be forced to spend eternity it the state we see him in King's Cross.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Peveler | 11 comments I think the whole Harry Potter series is is a symbol for The Western Mystery Schools and the battle that we are currently waging between between spiritual alchemy and practical alchemy. The New World Order and the New Age. Voldemort destroys his soul in bits and pieces from childhood on so he can gain power over the general wizarding populace. Harry and his friends and teachers have since childhood sacrificed themselves and loved the others. Harry thrives Voldemort becomes a piece of trash.

message 32: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia | 20 comments I believe it is the piece of Voldemort that got stuck in Harry when Voldemort tried to kill him as a baby. That part died or disappeared after Voldemort "killed" Harry in the forest.

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige C Dumbledore said that it was the part of Voldemort come to die... That is why Harry survived when Voldemort AK'd him.