Unconventional Greats discussion

Character Development - What Author?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oddmix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Oddmix | 7 comments Mod
What author best creates characters that become real? The kind of character development that by half way through the book you feel like you have known that "person" for years.

I would probably answer David Weber or JRR Tolkien.

message 2: by Andie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Andie (andiesmith) i like how Greg Iles develops his charachter

message 3: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Erin | 3 comments The best character development I have read in recent years was Audrey Niffenegger, in The Time Traveler's Wife

message 4: by Belinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Belinda | 7 comments Contemporary pop authors? Stephen King, Larry McMurtry, John Irving.

A personal favorite? Ellen Gilchrist, especially with the Rhoda stories, i.e. "Why I live at the P.O."

message 5: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Michael | 5 comments Douglas Coupland. you can picture meeting his characters in the supermarket or sitting 2 tables away in a busy resturaunt.

message 6: by Tory (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Tory | 4 comments Maeve Binchy.

I'm always a little embarrassed to admit that Circle of Friends is one of my all time favorites, but I think it's because she is so great with her characters.

Even her short stories, I usually don't like short stories, bring the characters to the point where I give a shit.

message 7: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Dodie Smith's characters always surprise me in good ways. I think that's her greatest strength as a novelist.

I agree with Belinda that Stephen King is also incredibly gifted in this area.

Of course, Maud Hart Lovelace gets a tip of the hat on this score.

Daphne du Maurier blows me away with her ability to create great male and female characters.

Judy Blume is wonderful at character development. I actually despise several of her characters, but they always "talk" and "act" in ways that seem true to their "personality."

message 8: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Alex (alex_s11) | 2 comments "The Time Traveler's Wife": I felt very close to the characters in that book.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I like tolkein , You feel like you have known his characters forever, they are soo deep and muliti facited . You can feel there hurts and triumphs.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (Katie_Kunsman) | 1 comments Jhumpa Lahiri - when I read her books, I never want them to end. Even the short stories are so well developed and full of people!

message 11: by Danny (new)

Danny Wilson | 1 comments I would probably say Stephen King

message 12: by Sergey (new)

Sergey Barsamyan (barsamyan) | 1 comments Jack London, George Orwell, Stephen King