The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 281 (281 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Apr 22, 2008 03:27PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Hey, fellow freaks & geeks... Andrew Lloyd Webber's on Idol tonight!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Holy crap!! Jim, the hairiest, geekiest geek in Beauty and the Geek got his makeover and he looks exactly like Ryan Gosling!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Apr 22, 2008 09:28PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK, so back to AI. I was always pulling for Brooke, not because she was my favorite but because there was something I liked about her. But over the last few weeks she's just annoyed me. Instead of stopping the song and starting over, she needed to just go on with it. But she was so concerned with her fake emotion that she lost her concentration.

message 4: by Dini, the master of meaning (last edited Apr 22, 2008 09:40PM) (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
In my country, AI is aired Thursday night with the results on Saturday night. But of course I can't avoid spoilers as I'm constantly online at work and AI results always show up in one site or another, or one of my co-workers will just spoil it for me. Wonder what Simon -- hereby also known as Lord Henry (see the Dorian Gray threads) -- has to say about the Andrew Lloyd Webber renditions.

Sarah, on last week's Mariah show I think Brooke's song was too big for her. But she's a nice, folksy type of girl. Anyway I like David Cook, but I don't necessarily think he would win. He's like Blake Lewis to me.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love David Cook. He's my favorite. I hated the way he ended the song, though.

I kind of liked what Jason did with Memory. He made it very vulnerable and emotional. I think he accomplished what Brooke was trying (and failed) to do.

I still can't decide what I thought of David Archuleta. The kid can sing like crazy, but I don't know about the arrangement. I'm biased, though, since I used to sing that song.

I loved Carly.

I'd hate waiting two days for results, Dini!

message 6: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Yep, it sucks. But I usually find out the results on the internet even before watching the show anyway. I don't even know if it's better or worse.

Here we also got our own Indonesian Idol, now on season 5. It just chose the top 24.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The results shows are awful anyway. 48 minutes of filler, two seconds of results, and the rest is commercials.

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments Andrew Lloyd Webber? waw! I need to see this (I rarely watch AI) I hope somebody would sing "Music of The Night". That song always make me shiver. Aww!

message 9: by Dini, the master of meaning (last edited Apr 23, 2008 12:25AM) (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
David Cook sang it. Some people on the net say it's good. What do you think, Sarah? You sing opera, no?

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments David Cook? I hope he sang it as good as Michael Crawford (doubt it though) hehe...

you alone can make my song take flight *fainting* ;)

message 11: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Apr 23, 2008 08:04AM) (new)

Ugh! For whatever reason, my TIVO did not catch IDOl. And I was around...could have been watching it. Anyway, we watched the performances on YouTube. Pretty amazing that an hour after the show airs you can already see the performances on YouTube. Though I did miss ALW's comments...all except telling David A. to open his eyes. Was he a little catty?

As far as "Memory"...it was an inevitable song choice, but I didn't see it coming on Jason Castro.

I thought David Cook rocked Music of the Night! I think he could play The Phantom. It's a little annoying how he always looks so proud of himself afterwards. I don't think it's intentional, though. I'd be proud of myself, too.

Brooke was painful--I think she's headed home. I kept comparing her to Madonna which was not good. I have a feeling she's going to *lose it* if she's next. She seems to have been gradually unravelling over the last few weeks.

Dini: I wish we got Indonesian Idol! Sounds awesome.

Sarah: You know I like David Cook, too. I think it's going to be a David/David finale.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I always TIVO the results show. That way I can just fast forward through most of it. David Cook is my favorite.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think it SHOULD be a David/David finale, with Carly as the third place. Have you noticed how Carly always looks angry when she sings?

I don't know. I'm torn about David Cook's performance last night. I genuinely like the guy. Yes, I sing opera. But I also knew going into this that none of these kids would sing that way. I think he was more the way Gerard Butler played the Phantom, which wasn't bad, just different. I was really pleased with David's high note "Let your soul take you where you long to BE!" But instead of swooning at those baby blues staring into the camera, it felt uncomfortable to me. It was probably the last song I expected him to sing. I expected him to sing something from Superstar or maybe Joseph. I think, except for the ending, I liked what he did with it.

But the opera singer in me had a hard time with David A's arrangement of "Think of Me." The kid really can sing anything, but like I said, I used to sing that song, so it is kind of dear to me. Even if I am so sick of The Phantom of the Opera that I could puke up blood.

I also thought that Jason or David A might sing "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph. And I was hoping that one of the girls would sing "Unexpected Song" from Song & Dance, or maybe "Tell Me On A Sunday." I think Brooke would have been much better on either of those two songs, and then there wouldn't have been a Madonna comparison.

I'm ready for Brooke to go. It was painful, Alison. Not just the false start, but the whole performance. I didn't like her fake emotion and I thought she was doing some weird things with the phrasing.

I liked Syesha and Carly a lot.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) And, Erie, Michael Crawford isn't even the best Phantom I've heard. Franc d'Ambrosio blew him out of the water in my opinion (Franc's the guy that plays Al Pacino's opera-singing son in The Godfather III).

message 15: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments I was really hoping to "Tell Me On a Sunday" too, I love that song.

I wanted to like Jason because in general I do really love him but I think he fell short on Memory. Not that I expected a Betty Buckley type performance or anything, but I thought he would add a twist that would really make it his but I didn't end up digging it.

I predicted that Carly would sing "Superstar" it was perfect for her even if she got all red and shouty.

message 16: by Sera (new)

Sera I love David Cook . I hope that he wins, and I agree that Brooke seems to be losing it, which is a shame, because she comes off as a real sweetheart.

As for David A., sorry folks, but . My husband and I can't stand him. We both think that he's a phony and that he's completely full of himself. He's a decent singer, but way overrated in my opinion, and I can't stand how the judges continue to suck up to him. Except that Simon, as usual, was spot on last night about how David A's performance was not very memorable.

I'm not a big Carly fan either, but I give her a lot of credit for having a great attitude and continuing to bring it when she has received muchc criticism and frequently appeared in the bottom 3.

I think that Brooke or Jason go tonight.

message 17: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I haven't been following this season, but felt the need to go to youtube after reading this thread. I agree with Alison that Brooke sounds like Madonna. I really didn't like Jason's Memory.

I really enjoyed Carly, and I also thought Syesha did a great job.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) See, I didn't think she sounded like Madonna. I think there was the inevitible comparison, because Madonna sang that song (and it was written for her, actually), but Brooke just didn't measure up.

message 19: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
The only show of this kind I ever watched was one called "Performing As..." that aired a few years back on Fox. I watched it because my brother was one of the performers!

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Apr 23, 2008 08:00PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) ACK!! It hasn't aired yet here, and I stupidly opened this thread! My eyes! MY EYES!!! La la la la la la la

message 21: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Apr 23, 2008 07:57PM) (new)

Really???? It's ten o' clock here. Dang! I thought about that. Should I delete the whole thing?

O.K., if this makes no sense, it's because I deleted a big spoiler. My bad!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) You can't delete it from my memory!!!

message 23: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Oh, gosh. You owe me one big spoiler! At least you don't know how it all plays out--very strange!!

message 24: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Take the blue pill! (or is it the red one? I can never remember). Where's Will Smith when you need him?

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, it isn't on till 9:00 here. Which is in an hour. And not until Saturday for the folks in Indonesia. I don't know how I'll spoil you, Alison, when you get to see everything three hours ahead of me!!

So in the future, folks, if you're posting about someone getting the boot, put a spoiler tag at the beginning of your post!

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Apr 23, 2008 09:25PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) ALW is kind of a freak. And I kind of dig it. Hmm.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK, I must be getting old because I'd never heard of Leona Lewis, and I was bored by her performance.

message 28: by Hippo dari Hongkong (last edited Apr 24, 2008 04:08AM) (new)

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments Sarah--Franc d'Ambrosio? haven't heard of him. Hm, then I need to check out my Godfather III again. All I know is Gerard Butler and Crawford version. I do need to hear d'Ambrosio version then :)

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments Uh.. uh.. I don't know where to put this posting since the other thread that I suppose to post was closed. So I just posting here.

Meghan--yes and yes, you may giggled (just a bit) I deserved it, haha...
From now on, I will never bring an issue about the weather with the Michiganian again! Let's just say until the hot summer arrive and wipe out Michigan (not to mention the shaking fist in my every general direction!) that's really freak me out, haha-ha-haachoooh! *still sneezing here* ;P

message 30: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Apr 24, 2008 05:46AM) (new)

Leona Lewis won the X factor (British AI) and she has gotten a media blitz over here. She was on Oprah a couple of weeks ago. Always the same song, though. You can watch some of her X-factor performances on YouTube. She's pretty good. Simon Cowell likes to take credit for "discovering" her.

Yes...total lack of judgement on my part on posting the AI spoiler. I was in my own world...my apologies.

ALW could be the oddest celebrity mentor ever.

message 31: by Sera (new)

Sera ALW creeped me out a little when he was on the show.

Leona Lewis is supposed to be the next Mariah Carey, and Simon loves her, because she is so grounded, blah, blah, blah. Nevertheless, I agree with Sarah - BORING! And, the song was pretty crappy in my opinion. She does have great hair though, and I liked her dress alot.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Erie, as far as I know Franc d'Ambrosio was never recorded singing the Phantom, so I dont' think you'd be able to hear him sing that role. I saw him perform the role twice in San Francisco.

But you can hear him sing Turridu in Cavalleria Rusticana in The Godfather III. He's also on the Godfather III soundtrack.

message 33: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments So...when do I get to read Alison's deleted spoiler? I heard on the radio who got booted, but I didn't get any of the details of how it "played out."

message 34: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Sorry, Robbie...you're not getting it from me! I'm already in the doghouse. :) With that, I was basically just referring to the bottom two being a little surprising considering the performances.

message 35: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Well, that's the part I heard on the radio, and I was quite surprised. I suppose by this time everybody in America has a favorite, and each performance will have less of an impact on the votes.

Don't worry, *I'm* not going to let it slip that David Cook got the ax! ;)

message 36: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I think you're right! (about the favorites)

message 37: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) So wait, I'm heavily medicated because I just had my appendix out, no lie, and I need to know Dina: did anyone spoil it for you and tell you who got booted off?

It was a beeeg surprise for me!

message 38: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Ouch, K.S.R! I hope you have a quick recovery!

message 39: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Erie - never joke about the sun to a girl from Michigan. We take our sun very seriously considering we see it just a few days more than Alaska. (Kidding)

Anyway, I unshake my fist at you as you are in a weakened state right now! And that picture of your niece just melts my heart every time I look at it. She is such a cutie!!! (yes, she deserves the added exclamation points.)

message 40: by Arctic (last edited Apr 24, 2008 10:25PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Alaska actually sees the sun quite a bit these days. 6AM to 11PM where I am anyway.

I think the title of this thread is a misnomer. :)

but for what it's worth, I'm betting Robin and Barney won't last long.

message 41: by Gizmology (new)

Gizmology | 10 comments Wow, see what you guys have done to me? I never watch these kinds of shows, ever, ever -- but after reading this thread, I absolutely had to go to youtube and watch all the Webber performances, also because I love Phantom of the Opera.

What seems weird to me, though, is that you guys all discussed these Davids very intensely, loving one or the other, and you also talked about Brooke and Carly and Jason. But Syesha was mentioned only as an afterthought a couple times and I thought her performance was the most spirited and dynamic of all of them by far, not to mention that her voice was spectacular and she hit every note with power and charisma! (I can't believe I'm getting all vehement about a show I've never even watched!)

Anyway, I might have to start following this thing now. Thanks a lot! :p

message 42: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I'm with you, Gizmology! I thought Syesha was best. I think I'll just stick to youtube and goodreads discussions, though.

Dini, I guess it's up to you to let us know when we can talk about the results!

message 43: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Does anyone watch Grey's Anatomy? Was last night the first "new" episode (since the strike?)

message 44: by Sera (new)

Sera No GA for me Alison; I'm a LOST gal.

message 45: by Karey (last edited Apr 25, 2008 03:35PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) I thought Syesha was the best, too, Robbie...and Gizmology.

I could tell because I kept singing her song long after the performance. It wasn't, (how does Simon say it?) "forgettable."

And thanks for the condolences, Robbie! The ole appendicitis hit me like a truck. I thought I was going to die, as in really die. . . lying on the floor and calling for help from my cell phone.

message 46: by Arctic (last edited Apr 25, 2008 03:56PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments yeah, Alison, I think it was. I have it TIVOed but haven't watched it yet. (No Spoilers! ;) )

LOST was new last night too. been some decent episodes of that this year.

I wonder if they're going to keep the Greys/Lost lineup on Thursdays like that or if it was a fluke.

I've always resented how Thursday Greys interferes with Scrubs. but looks like Scrubs is on earlier now anyway, for me at least.

PS - KSR, you have my sympathies as well; I just had my appendix out last Halloween - 1 month postpartum! not fun at all.

message 47: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Arctic: One month postpartum? Boo hoo!

message 48: by Sera (new)

Sera Heather, the Greys/Lost will continue for the rest of the summer. Last night's episode of Lost was super cool. I love that show.

message 49: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments ooh Sera can't wait to watch that LOST episode now. I'll watch tonight and come back with my thoughts.

I really liked the episode with Desmond getting unstuck in time.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) After you're all recovered I'll have to tell the story of my dad's appendectomy. It's rather scary.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6