Q&A with Penny Vincenzi discussion

What research did you do for Sheer Abandon?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Pollock (catherinepollock) | 1 comments Hi Penny,

I was wondering what kind of research you did for Sheer Abandon. Did you actually speak to any mothers who had abandoned a baby? Or any daughters who themselves had been abandoned? And if so, how did you find these people?

Thanks.

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny (pennyvincenzi) | 7 comments Mod
Hi Catherine,
Lovely to hear from you.
Yes, I did speak to several mothers who had given up their babies for adoption at birth--athough not abandoned them; and they spoke of their terrible remorse and obsession with both wondering what had happened to the baby and if it would ever come to light. I did talk to two people who had been abandoned, one man in a vegetable truck and another on the steps of a hospital and several more who had been adopted at birth and had no idea who their birth mothers were. In every case it led to a serious identity crisis--who am I, where did I come from-- and a lack of self-esteem. that their mothers hadn't valued them enough to care for them and keep them. I found them as I always find people--and as a good journalist would--by following leads, asking around, endlessly. It takes time, but it's the best way.
Thank you so much for writing. I do hope you're enjoying the book. And maybe I'll meet you at a readers' event in May.
Penny