The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Favourite Author(s)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Hello everyone,

Not much happening on the site at the moment so got me thinking about what questions I could ask the group.

Who are your favourite authors and what kind of books do they write?

I, as I'm sure a lot of you, am always on the look out for new authors so I would be interested in your answers.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day :-)

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments I'm always reading something different - I'm not as much of a serial person as I was when I was younger - and so I haven't read too many books by the same authors. I do like James Patterson though (thrillers obviously). His early stuff isn't great, but I like the later ones.

Apart from him I'm not really sure... I like Marian Keyes when I need a light chick-lit read.

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
I have a few different favorites.
I love Jose Saramago. His best novel by far is Blindness (a whole town gets sick with a white blindness and the goverment quarentines them in harsh conditions for fear of catching it themselves) - Ive read a total of four of his novels, with one sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Hes a tough author to get through. His writing tends to have no normal punctuation, run on sentences and verrryy long paragraphs. But his stories are haunting to say the least.

I also love Glen Duncan. Ive read Death of an Ordinary Man, I- Lucifer, and Weathercock... all dealing on different levels with death and religion and the afterlife. Very interesting things here, his books pull you in and get you thinking...

I can read just about anything from just about anyone really.... but those are the two that really stick out in my mind right now.

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona | 52 comments My all time favorite author is Paulo Coehlo. Every one of his books are inspiring, thought-provoking and even life changing.

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Ooh, great replies everyone!!

Kirsty - I too am a huge JP fan, I own all his books but one or two I think and they were earlier ones. When a book comes out I buy it!! Oh, and I have four books on my shelf waiting to be read by Marian Keyes so I had better get around to that soon. I haven't read any of her stuff before so am interested to see how it will go.

Lori - Blindness is on my list of books to purchase and I have heard some great reviews about it. I guess when I do get around to it I shall have to look forward to settling in for the long haul.

Seth - What a list! You have reminded me about Ed McBain. A lady I used to work with loved his books and I had always meant to read some but completely forgot so now I shall have to get my hands on one of his books.

Mona - The only book I've read of Paulo Coehlo was Eleven Minutes and I enjoyed that. I've got The Alchemist on my shelf waiting to be read.

A few of my favourites are Lee Child, James Patterson, Meg Gardiner, Martina Cole - I know there are more but those are the ones that popped in my head first.

Happy reading everyone!!

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

OMG... totally kicking myself in the head for not mentioning Christoper Moore in my previous post. Stupdest Angel, and Dirty Job being the funniest damn books I have ever read! Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck running close behind. Lamb - well, not the greatest but not too shabby either.

This man has a sick and twisted but highly creative and hilarious outlook on things! If you havent read anything by him, you should be ashamed... I was once I realised what i had been missing all these years!

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I love Margaret Atwood - she makes the readers relate to her characters even though they may have nothing in common on the surface, and even if the story description doesn't appeal to me it always seem to suck me in.

I also love Michael Ondaatje (English Patient, Anil's Ghost) - no matter how many times I re-read his books, I always discover something new.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Kirsty -- I'm surprised you don't like Patterson's early stuff. I'm curious if by early you mean Season of the Machete and The Midnight Club or early Cross books like Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider.

I have been disappointed with his more recent books...I was obsessed with him from the first book of his I read (I think it was Jack & Jill) and I ripped through a good chunk of his stuff soon thereafter. Like you both, I own almost everything he has written (except for You've Been Warned & the Maximum Ride series.) These days I feel like he is using too many ghostwriters to do most of the work for him & he's more concerned with popping out a new book every month instead of writing really good thrillers.

Just my two cents...it obviously hasn't stopped me from buying every one of his new books within a week of their release!

My favorite authors other than Patterson are: Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben (I prefer his Myron Bolitar books), Mary Higgins Clark, Deirdre Martin, Emily Giffin, Amanda Quick, L.J. Smith (from my youth!), and Lauren Weisberger.

I haven't read him in a while, but I used to love John Grisham...oh, and Barbara Michaels (note to self...pick one of theirs up again, since you own a lot of them!) And Sidney Sheldon too!

I have a lot of Anne Rice, Patricia Cornwell, John Sanford, Iris Johansen, Sandra Brown, Steve Martini, David Baldacci, and Jonathan Kellerman books, but to be honest I haven't read more than 5 books between them:( I've also wanted to try Sue Grafton but never got around to her and I'm attempting to force myself through Kathy Reichs because I really love the show Bones, but the book I'm reading is torture!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now! *L*

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Oh, thanks for reminding me, I too like Mary Higgins Clark, her and John Grisham a few years back I went through a phase reading all their stuff.

I also own the whole collection of Agatha Christie books but I have only read about 10 of them so there's plenty of reading there for me!! I do like her books, and the books themselves are nice little hardbacks and it feels so, hm, shall we say "quaint" reading them :-)

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Katie, L.J. Smith! No way! I totally loved her work when I was younger. I still have all the Vampire Diaries, Forbidden Game, and Secret Circle books. They are ratty and about to fall apart, but I still have them because I like to reread them every couple of years.

Whatever happened to her? It seemed like she just stopped writing.

message 11: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Hi Katie, I'm talking about his really old stuff... specifically The Thomas Berryman Number . That book goes down as the worst book I ever read. The ones after that were a little better, but still not as good as the stuff he wrote later. I haven't read the first couple of Cross books yet... I started the series out of order, and then realised. I'm working forward in his bibliography. (Aside from the later stuff) I've read TTBN, Season of the Machete and Black Friday, next on my list is The Jericho Commandment (See How They Run), then re-read Cradle and All. Problem is I've been sidetracked by other stuff on my to-read list! :o)

message 12: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) My favorite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez, reading his work in Spanish triggers memories of my childhood and happy times with my cousins and extended family, although his books are gloomy and have a really raw quality to them, they just have that powerful gift of transporting you elsewhere, I also like the fact that even though he writes fiction, his work is loaded with historical facts about the earlier part of South American History.

As a teenager I used to love Richard Bach, I own many of his books and revisit them often, but the latest books I read from him were about ferrets and I just didn't get them, and the work just lost magic.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Mandy -- Me too! Are you sure we aren't secretly related?? *LOL*

Theresa -- I LOVED L.J. Smith's stuff! I actually recently brought the Vampire Chronicles home from my parents house (where I store the other half of my books!) to re-read. My OCD prevents me from having worn copies, but they are much beloved (along with the Forbidden Games book, but I'm not sure I have all of the Secret Circle ones *gasp*!) I'm so thrilled someone else was as obsessed with her stuff as me *L* I have no idea what happened to her...like you said, it's like she just stopped writing.

Kirsty -- Hi:) Yeah, his very first few books were brutal...way too all over the place. I had to try Season of the Machete four times before I finally suffered through & I still haven't made it through TTBN! I really enjoyed the first two of the Women's Murder Club (1st to Die & 2nd Chance) and his early Alex Cross stuff...Kiss the Girls, Along Came a Spider, Jack & Jill, Cat & Mouse...I think you'll find them much better!! I suggest squeezing them in...they are pretty fast reads...his stuff usually on takes me a day or two.

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Katie - LOL :-) We do have quite a few of the same books!!

Kirsty - I have TTBN sitting on my shelf to be read, I didn't realise he had two earlier books that I didn't have so thought I'd give it a try but I have heard mixed reviews about it so shall have to give it a shot soon. First book I read was Kiss the Girls and from then I was hooked. I hope you get a chance to read all the Cross ones, they're great and Women's Murder Club.

message 15: by Kirsty (last edited Apr 24, 2008 06:48AM) (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Mandy, I'd put off reading TTBN until you're suffering with insomnia one night... I guarantee it will put you to sleep!! lol. Yes I really do think its THAT bad...

Katie, I actually quite enjoyed Season of The Machete, once I got past the dates not making sense, but I definitely prefer the later stuff. I want to check out the 1st Cross book, but I've got that many books sat at home waiting to be read I figure I should really try to get through those first!

message 16: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I have so many authors that are faves.Stephen King.Cecelia Ahern,Sophie Kinsella,John Saul,Jack Ketchum,Ann Rice,Jennifer Weiner,Jodi Picoult,Victoria Laurie,Rachel Caine,Joanne Fluke,Hannah Nyala

message 17: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 33 comments I'm a Joanne Fluke fan too!!!!

Jonathan Kellerman, James Patterson, Alex Kava, Karin Slaughter, Erica Spindler, Jodi Picoult, Tess Gerritsen, Linda Fairstein, David Baldacci, Janet Evanovich, Nancy Martin, Ed McBain, John Sandford, Stephen King, John Saul, Dean Koontz, Meg Cabot, Lois Lowry, Anthony Horowitz, Stuart Woods, Faye Kellerman, Michael Connelly, Carol O'Connell, Fern Michaels, Lisa Gardner, Debbie Macomber, C.S. Lewis......I could go on and on and on and on and on

message 18: by Pooch (new)

Pooch | 44 comments I can't list authors that I like! Reading this thread has caused me to realize that I don't think in terms of the author. I don't remember the authors of books. It's about the feel/substance/topic of the book. I hadn't thought about it prior to reading these posts. Its partly because I have a poor memory (hence my reading journals) and partly because of the my disppointment in particular books when chosen solely because of the author. Oh, fickle me!

:)

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Has anyone here read David Maine? If you havent, I would suggest you do at some point.

He's written The Preservationist (about Noah and the Ark), Fallen (a novel told in reverse about Cain and Able), Samson (the long haired murderer who thought he was touched by god), and most recently Monster, 1959 (a campy 50's horror novel in the same viens as Godzilla and King Kong).

I am a huge fan of Maines.... I was amazed when I read Fallen (the first novel of his that I read) and was unable to get enough. Check out my reviews on his books if you like. And you can check him out on here as well. He is listed as a goodreads author.

I know, I am shamelessly plugging him here.. Haa haa... but I was really curious if anyone had read any of his books, and what you thought of them.

message 20: by Cynthia (last edited Apr 29, 2008 03:14PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments These are the authors on my to read/ have read list...

READ AND LOVE
DOUGLAS CARLTON ABRAMS
SARAH ADDISON ALLEN
V.C. ANDREWS
PAMELA DUNCAN
HARRIET EVANS
EILEEN FAVORITE
DIANA GABALDON - MY FAVORITE CONTEMPORARY AUTHOR.
EMILY GIFFIN
DEANNE GIST
AMANDA GOLDBERG AND RUTHANNA HOPPER
SHANNON HALE
SYRIE JAMES
JENNIFER KAUFMAN
SOPHIE KINSELLA
BILLIE LETTS
DONALD MCCAIG
LOUISA MCCORMACK
EMMA MCLAUGHLIN AND NICOLA KRAUS
MICHELLE MORAN
JANET MULLANY
ELIZABETH NOBLE
MARIE PHILLIPS
ANYA SETON
ANITA SHREVE
NICHOLAS SPARKS
REBECCA STOTT
JENNIFER WEINER
LAUREN WEISBERGER

READ AND LIKE
ANITA AMIRREZVANI
VANORA BENNETT
GERRI BRIGHTWELL
GERALDINE BROOKS
TRACY CHEVALIER
DIANE MOTT DAVIDSON
CHRIS EWAN
HELEN FIELDING
KAREN JOY FOWLER
SUSAN GREGG GILMORE
PHILIPPA GREGORY
REBECCA GREGSON
JEFFREY HANTOVER
JOANNE HARRIS
ROBERT HICKS
KARL IAGNEMMA
JOHN IRVING
ALISON LARKIN
SUE MILLER
EVA RICE
LUANNE RICE
OWEN SHEERS
KELLY SIMMONS
BEVERLY SWERLING
AMY TAN

READ AND THINK ARE SO SO
KIM EDWARDS
POPPY ADAMS

TO READ
MARY KAY ANDREWS, MEG CABOT, JOSEPHINE CARR, MICHAEL CHABON, JAMES COLLINS, KATIE CROUCH, JENNIFER CRUSIE, LAURA DAVE, JUDE DEVEREAUX, JANET EVANOVICH, PAMELA BINNINGS EWAN, JIM FERGUS, BILL FOLMAN, JULIE GARWOOD, MARGARET GEORGE, LAUREN GROFF, ALICE HOFFMAN, JOSHILYN JACKSON, SUE MONK KIDD, ALISA KWITNEY, PENELOPE LIVELY, VICTORIA LUSTBADER, LISA LUTZ, COLLEEN MCCULLOUGH, KATE MORTON, JANET PAISLEY, CHRISTI PHILLIPS, JODI PICOULT, MARK SARVAS, DIANE SETTERFIELD, NOËLLE SICKELS, LEE SMITH, ANN TATLOCK, KATHLEEN TESSARO,
JOANNA TROLLOPE (CAROLINE HARVEY), JONATHAN TROPPER

message 21: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Good grief.

message 22: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Wow Cynthia. That's one lOOOOOOOOOOONG list!

message 23: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) And you love them all Cynthia?

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments Okay I adjusted the list to be more clear. Since I started working in the library...I've discovered a lot of new and some not so new authors and lots that I can't wait to try.

message 25: by KHoopMan (new)

KHoopMan  (eliza_morgan) | 151 comments Connie Willis wrote Passage and The Doomsday Book, two of my absolute most favorite books. I guess she is considered a science fiction author, but I don't generally like science fiction- go figure!

I cannot recommend her novels enough.

message 26: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC Working in a library- I'd say that's a dream job!! How do you get work done instead of reading?

message 27: by Cynthia (last edited Apr 30, 2008 06:11PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments Well I'm not really supposed to read at the desk...but it means I usually end up near the top of the holds list for new books which is great. I do peruse books that come in that aren't already on my list for a minute or two if we are quiet. But you're right it is a great job.

message 28: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Agatha Christie
patricia Cornwell
Nicholas Evans

whatever book, whenever by any of the authors and I am glad, more than glad.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Austen and Dickens - but they go without saying

I love Lawrence Block for mysteries, because he is so funny.

If a hot book is what you crave - J D Robb's your girl. Mystery is the genre. I would almost say erotic mystery - her boyfriend is some kinda hot.

Barbara Kingsolver and Anna Quindlen and Anne Rivers Siddons are probably my favorite modern authors.

And Chris Moore really is good for a laugh, as long as you don't mind some language. Love his sense of humor tho.

message 30: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 134 comments Tony Hillerman and Michael Crichton are on my list.

I was deeply saddened by their passing this year.

-Vince

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Stephen King
Colleen McCullough
James Patterson ( I know, I know... )
Lucia St. Clair Robson
Frank Miller
Alan Moore

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I forgot ...
Amy Tan
Billie Letts
Michael Crichton
(so sorry to see him pass)

message 33: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I have SOOOO Many. I'll name a few of my favorites:

Michael Connelly
Elizabeth George
Grisham
Elizabeth Berg
Mary Kay Andrews
Khaled Hosseini

message 34: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I posted back in April, but my how times have changed, and boy have I read alot of great books in the meantime....

Still topping the list is Jose Saramago.
Christopher Moore is up there for most hilarious.
Glen Duncan is still there for his interesting life-after-death-do-i-beleive-in-God novels.
David Maine for his biblical fiction novels.

I would also like to add Dean Koontz for his Odd Thomas novels. Pure brilliance!
Jeff Lindsay for the Dexter books!
Charlaine Harris for her Sookie Books.....

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Ummm...I'll give you my top five:

1. Libba Bray (obvious)
2. Jerry Spinelli
3. Maggie L Wood
4. Maureen Johnson
5. J.K Rowling (but John Green might bump up)

message 36: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments I have many authors that I read compulsively!
My no. 1 author would be Andre Norton. Here are some others I enjoy:
Jerry Spinelli
Dean Koontz
Anne McCaffrey
Charlaine Harris
Jennifer Cruisie
Janet Evanovich
Mary Janice Davidson
Dick Francis
Agatha Christie
JRR Tolkien
Louis L'Amour
Robert Heinlein
Helen Cresswell
Grisham
Patterson
Crighton
King
Elizabeth Moon
Katie MacAlister
Yasmine Galenorn
Christine Feehan
Lyndsay Sands
Lori Handelhand
Patricia Briggs
Rebecca York
Jane Austen
Louisa May Alcott
Mark Twain
Jim Butcher
Shana Abe
Scott Westerfeld
Vicki Lewis Thompson
Asimov
LeGuin
L'Engle
Burroughs
Richard Peck
Eoin Colfer
Jenny Nimmo

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 284 comments My tops for classics are Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Oscar Wilde.

For modern days, I'd go with Stephen King, Phillippa Gregory, and currently Neil Gaiman.

Also I really like Neil Degrasse Tyson. He's an absolutely brilliant astrophysicist, but explains everything like he's your best friend talking about the weather. He's amazing.

message 38: by Bianca (last edited Dec 20, 2008 12:39AM) (new)

Bianca (biancamaria) | 120 comments My classic favourite are George Orwell, Oscar Wilde, Lucy M. Montgomery and Jane Austen.

Modern favourites: Tamora Pierce and Isobelle Carmody. I have heaps more but these two are special in that I like everything that they have ever written

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I am choosing the authors where I have to read almost every book they write...
Jen Lancaster, Jodi Picoult, James Patterson, Harlan Coben (not a fan of the Myron Bolitar books), Marian Keyes, Joy Fielding, Erica Spindler, Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner, Nicholas Sparks, Sandra Brown (mysteries not romance), Lisa Gardner, Ellen Hopkins, and Jilliane Hoffman

message 40: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 82 comments I love reading Horror/Thriller novels so here's my list: Stephen King, Jose Saramago, Sarah Pinborough, Brian Keene, Anne Rice, and James Patterson. My favorite horror novel of all time is Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I'm almost done with that now, and it has made me fall in love with Stephen King's writting. I'm going to read either The Shining, Misery, or The Tommyknockers next. :D

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 204 comments I have many favorite authors but my all time fav is Danielle Steel. I know she hasnt written any literary classics but she has or rather had nine children and has put out over 70 novels. That amazes me. One of her kids, Nick, died. She wrote a book about his life, although I havent read it yet.

message 42: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Kelly, the one she wrote about her son was very good although sad.

message 43: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 204 comments Thanks Paula. I am sure it was. I cant imagine how she got through that. God bless her. I just got it through my book club and its on my TBR list.

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Yes Paula... I agree! Great book by Danielle Steel.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Of current writers -

C.J. Sansom, who writes historical mysteries. I am particularly fond of his Matthew Shardlake series, which starts with Dissolution, and is set in Tudor England.

Elizabeth George, who writes current-day mysteries about a pair of Scotland Yard detectives, Lyndley and Havers.

message 46: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Elizabeth George writes great stories susanna. I found out about ehr stories through the tv series and then I started buying her books and love them!

message 47: by Gracee (new)

Gracee (graceebongolan) | 11 comments I just love Sidney Sheldon, I'm a huge fan of him. I have read most of the books he wrote and after some time I still couldn't recover from the book I have read. Although I always want to read something different, there are times when I feel I want to read inspirational that's where I love Mitch Albom.

message 48: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 82 comments My friend's a big fan of Agatha Christie. She read "And then there were none", and loved it. I just bought "An Unexpected Guest", and am anxious to read it. Does anyone have any other suggestions of her books?

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) I love love love Joyce Carol Oates. most of everything I have read of hers is brilliant. (one exception: We were the Mullvanys) Zombie and a few of her short stories/novellas are the books that got me hooked!

message 50: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Dylan wrote: "My friend's a big fan of Agatha Christie. She read "And then there were none", and loved it. I just bought "An Unexpected Guest", and am anxious to read it. Does anyone have any other suggestion..."

Honestly, if you like on of Christie's books, you will probably like them all! They are quick and easy, so I think they are perfect travel books. None stand out as better than the others, and i have read quite a few.

« previous 1