Picture Books discussion

Favorite picture book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Jackie | 10 comments Mod
As an Asian American, I've noticed I've been drawn to Asian American authors. I love "The Name Jar" by Yansook Choi because it tells the story of a Korean American who is struggling to embrace her name as well as the two cultures she inhabits.

Another favorite is "My Lucky Day" by Keiko Kasza. This is a clever "turning the tables" on a classic fairy tale / fabel relationship: predator & prey. Every 2nd grader I know, LOVES this book. It's fun to watch when the moment when students begin to realize what is REALLY going on.

message 2: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 20 comments I have to agree My Lucky Day is a great one. I love Coat of Many Colors by Dolly Parton.

message 3: by ABC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 9 comments Jackie, if you like books with Asian characters, you should try Ken and Amy Visit Grandma. It is really a great book. It is originally by a Japanese author and translated into English.

I also like Keiko Kasza. We have Don't Laugh, Joe and another one where animals run away and climb up a tree (can't remember the title.)

message 4: by Angie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Angie I love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin

The greatest skating race by Louise Borden

Anything by Denise Fleming

message 5: by Dave (last edited Nov 15, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Dave (uglypumpkin) | 1 comments My favorite picture book artist of all time is James Marshall. I think his single best work is his version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

His sense of economy is so brilliant in this one, both in pictures and text.

message 6: by William (new)

William (New2Writing) | 1 comments My mother in law purchased Apples in a Pail for her 2nd graders. From what she said they loved it and the activity inside the book. I also bought it and my daughter loves it. She is younger though (4 yrs). Just thought I would share.. Apples in a Pail

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments My favourite picture book has to be Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman- creepy, hilarious and captivating. Definitely for slightly older children...my Year 4s loved it!

Read my full review: The Babbling Bookcase