Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Memory Keeper's Daughter...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Kelly Livesay (kellylives) | 1 comments The book that would never end. My sister has NEVER not finished a book she started...until this one, in horrid need of editing. I cannot believe what a best seller it was. You could have whacked 20 pages off the end.

message 2: by Cassiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Cassiel At only about 250 pages, it would be edited down to nothing if the bad parts were cut. I remember almost nothing about the plot of the book, except that it was something that would never happen in the real world. Stupid waste of paper.

message 3: by Merrin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Merrin | 9 comments Goes to show it takes all kinds, I guess. I really enjoyed that book.

message 4: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Stacy Parrish | 2 comments Some people just praise and praise this book...I have not been able to get through this either. It is like walking in mud.

message 5: by Esther (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) I also thought it would never end. It seemed to drag on and on as if the author had been told she needed an extra 5,000 words and had just cobbled something together.

message 6: by S. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

S. (sarahj) I also thought this book was all schmaltz and cheap tricks. I can't believe I wasted my time, but I was visiting my mom, and I always read whatever she has around. A definite skip. I think it's only the beautiful cover that draws the ladies in....

message 7: by Letitia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Letitia I agree about the beautiful cover, which I found compelling. But yeah, it is an absolutely interminable book, with such a meandering plot that I'm not even sure exactly what I'm supposed to take away from the story besides a strong sense of bitterness over the loss of time that Edwards' rambling purple prose cost me.

message 8: by Nikki (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Nikki Boisture I'm with Ann on this one. I didn't mind it. I mean, I didn't think it was great literature or anything. But I kind of put it in the same category as Jodi Picoult books, which are compulsively readable but for reasons which I can not explain.

message 9: by Clare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Clare | 53 comments I heard this on a CD while driving to and from work. The plot seemed unbelievable and I very disappointed at the ending.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne I just wanted to yell at the stupid husband. I guess it goes to show one decision can change your life and lead to fire, divorce, etc...

message 11: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 47 comments I just finished this. I really disliked it. It rambled. I kept waiting for something to happen. I felt like the author just droned on and on. The ending was so mushy.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2 comments Thought it was a waste of an intriguing premise. What a dragged out story.

message 13: by Jess (last edited Mar 12, 2009 05:58PM) (new)

Jess I agree with Andrea. The book had so much potential to be brilliant, as the premise was so interesting.

I really struggled to finish this book. I didn't really empathise with any of the characters and it was so incredibly drawn out, as a few of you have already said. It could have been edited down to half the size! This would have made it more captivating at least. Any suspense or intrigue the author created was simply destroyed by her long, frivolous descriptions!

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara (tbm126) | 26 comments I haven't even gotten through it yet. One day I just got up from the book and never returned. I hope to finish it this summer, but I'm not eager to put myself through it.

message 15: by Terry (new)

Terry | 10 comments Yeah....Here's yet another book I finished then wanted to poke my eyes out.....actually not a bad concept but boring....I'm really, really sorry I fell for the "best seller" thing....I'll bet there's a landfill somewhere completely filled with this book with the book mark still stuck around page 100!

message 16: by Emerald (new)

Emerald (Emmeraldd) | 2 comments I'm sorry to hear so many people hated this book. I really liked it, and read it nearly three times. Oh well, everyone has an opinion.

message 17: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Esme wrote: "I'm sorry to hear so many people hated this book. I really liked it, and read it nearly three times. Oh well, everyone has an opinion."

Despite disliking this novel quite a lot within a couple of dozen pages I knew it was perfect for my mother and she loved it.
The strange thing is that she agrees with me in my criticisms of the book, just for her those things aren't important enough to ruin the experience.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess I really liked the idea of the book and I love reading about controversial issues such as those addressed in the Memory Keeper's Daughter.

I think its weakness was its characters and the way it was written.