Books for Cooks discussion

so whats for dinner?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ximena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Ximena | 17 comments Mod
have you tried a new recipe lately?

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I made this awesome Cheesy Chicken Lasagna from Taste of Home, Grandma's Favorites. It had chicken, spinach, ricotta, mozzarella and parm cheese, spices, noddles, etc. Very tasty! Not so good for you, but sometimes you have to splurge!

message 3: by Endre (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Endre Barath | 33 comments Just last night in fact - Tuscan Style Butter Beans with Tuna. Easy to prepare, just like the recipe promised. One can of butter beans (I am embarrassed, but I did not have fresh butter beans!) plus half a lemon, 4 scallions thinly sliced, 2 tbs. chopped cilantro, red chile flakes, extra virgin cold pressed calamata olive oil (I am such a snob) and 8 oz of fresh seared olive oil...drain beans wash in cold water, coat with olive oil, put on serving platter; sear the tuna, season with salt and pepper, squirt with lemon juice, add cilantro, crushed pepper, and scallions and added a generous splash of olive oil over all. (add more olive oil if you like to dip with bread)

message 4: by Ximena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Ximena | 17 comments Mod
Endre - thats sounds so delish!! My latest recipe discovery has been a korean style marinade for steak or chicken and sweet and sour pickled cucumber and red onion as a side.

Korean Beef
ingredients

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons Sriracha (Southeast Asian chile sauce)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
1 to 1 1/4 pound flank steak ( I used skirt steak)
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

** I doubles the amounts and I marinated the steak for a few hours**

Accompaniments: white rice; soft leaf lettuce or pickled sweet and sour red onions and cucumbers

preparation

Stir together soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, Sriracha, sugar, and sesame oil.

Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat.

Oil grill rack, then grill steak, covered, turning over once, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare.

Transfer steak to a cutting board and drizzle with 2 tablespoons sauce, then let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve with remaining sauce, scallions, and sesame seeds.

Gourmet, July 2007

message 5: by Endre (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Endre Barath | 33 comments Ximena - although I haven't ventured into the Korean cooking arena I have to tell you that I do have in my kitchen the Sriracha rooster :)
2 teaspoons - holy tamole!

message 6: by Ximena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Ximena | 17 comments Mod
We put the rooster in everything!! Eggs, pizza, and its great in sate sauce!

message 7: by Tracy O (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Tracy O | 9 comments Hi Lisa. Are the other recipes in that book really great, too? I want to make the recipe (maybe it's just because I'm hungry, but it sounds wonderful) - but, before I buy it I want to make sure it's not a one-hit-wonder. Sorry to trouble you!

message 8: by Wendy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Wendy | 1 comments I got a 5 lb. bag of early girl tomatoes at the farmers market for $1.50/lb., and for the first time have skinned and seeded the tomatoes, before making a simple sauce. (There's a special technique for peeling and seeding). Next, I fry a little garlic and onion in a pan with butter, then I add what's left of the tomatoes, some fresh chopped basil and a little fresh chopped oregano, and let the liquid cook down. Then I add salt and pepper. Delicious and simple! Even better with some fresh grated parmesan or romano and some exciting toasted bread, and a crispy salad.