Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2010 Archive > *144* Questionnaire (just for fun)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read)
3. What are 3 "New Year's Reading Resolutions" you'd like to set for yourself for the coming year?
4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010.
5. Name 3 authors you've never read before, but definitely plan to try in 2010.

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Dec 18, 2009 09:53PM) (new)

Kelly 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
55-60

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own?
~ 275 + all the books my parents own (since I'm living with them)

3. What are 3 "New Year's Reading Resolutions" you'd like to set for yourself for the coming year?
1) Never have more than 5 books checked out from the library at any one time.
2) Read my own books before buying new ones. For every 10 books I read, I can take them to the trade-a-book and swap them (without spending any $ over)
3) Set a limit for number of new books I can add to my TBR list! 10 a month? My number is already too huge to ever read them all.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up or cut down on in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010.
1) I need to shut down the computer at a reasonable time every night and read instead of play online.
2) I spend a lot of time doing pretty much nothing, due to bad time management I guess. Reading would be so much more productive than large chunks of empty time when I don't accomplish anything anyways.

5. Name 3 authors you've never read before but definitely plan to try in 2010.
1) Janet Evanovich
2) Nora Roberts
3) Beverly Connor

message 3: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (MelW) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?

1) Get my physical bookshelves organised properly and keep them that way.
2) Complete all challenges I participate in.
3) Try an e-book.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up or cut down on in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010.
1) Housework; and
2) cooking :)
Seriously, I am lucky in that I have a lot of reading time. I always carry a book with me so if I find myself waiting around I can whip out my book and pass the time more enjoyably. My kids do a lot of activities during the week so I spend a lot of time in the car or in Starbuck's waiting for them and reading.

1) Lora Leigh
2) Julie Garwood
3) Cathy Maxwell

message 4: by Donnajo (last edited Dec 19, 2009 06:43AM) (new)

Donnajo | 513 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
94 this year so far but it was 125 in 2008 but has been better in years before.

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read)
Let's just say it's someplace over 2,000 and leave it at that. I'm kind of a buying bookaholic.

1. read at least 144 books if not more.
2. Read my book determination list of 17 books that I make for myself.
3. Cut down yet again on buying books and try and get more books read a
month

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010.
1. I have the time it's just trying to read more in that time and not do other stuff or nothing at all. Also need to carry a book with me when I go out more often.

There are so many new books I have unread that are by authors I haven't tried so just reading them would be good. To come up with 3 names I would have to come back with the answer.

message 5: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (Care76) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
85 is a guess. A good chunk of them were 800+ pages though.

1. Use the library
2. Only buy books I really love (physical books, not ebooks)
3. To read more than I watch tv

1. Cut down on tv
2. less computer rec time

1. Patricia Briggs
2. Simone Elkeles
3. Rachel Vincent

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 142 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
45-50
2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? 87
(not counting the books you've already read)
3. What are 3 "New Year's Reading Resolutions" you'd like to set for yourself for the coming year? do more group reads, start writing again, use library more.
4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. TV AND COMPUTER

JA JANCE
ROBERT K TANENBAUM
SUSAN BROCKMANN

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 19, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
200+
1) Use the library more
2) Read and pass out more books this year
3) Spend more time with book clubs
Homework.... LOL
Laundry..... LOL
You'd think with all the books I want to read I could come up with 3 authors. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 419 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine) about 250 to 300.

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read) um, 100? Maybe 200? I have a bit of an "addiction" to books.

1) To check out more library books and buy fewer books. (The economy is hitting my pocketbook, sigh)
2) to whittle down my book collection by at least 1 shelf. I have 11 7' tall bookcases all of which are crammed totally full, 1 4' tall bookcase, also crammed full, a floor to ceiling bookcase that is 6' wide in my bedroom--also crammed full, and finally a 2' by 3' bookcase also crammed full. And by full, I mean, zero empty space in the cases. They are double stacked front and back, and all the way from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the shelf. I really need to get rid of a few books. Oh--and probably another bookcase full of books at my daughter's house (I pass a number of them to her to read when I finish them) So we are talking probably 3 or 4 thousand books here.
3) To read at least 9 author's I've never read before.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. Ok, this one is hard to think of, since I don't work (outside the house) and have health issues, which means that there are times when all I can DO is read. So I think I'll just give this one a pass. :o)

5. Name 3 authors you've never read before, but definitely plan to try in 2010. Um, not sure, but I'm definately going to get to some new authors (see the resolutions)

message 9: by Magpie67 (last edited Dec 19, 2009 08:57AM) (new)

Magpie67 | 57 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?

Way too many to count

1. Finishing a few series
2. Watching my spending habits (because I'm saving for the next Mayhem event in May)
3. Read the books I have bought

1. Housecleaning
2. Work

(LOL, good luck huh?)

Suzanne Collins
Stephenie Meyer
Deborah Crombie - She is the Guest of Honor at the 11th conference of the Mayhem in the Midlands in Omaha, Ne.

message 10: by LynnB (last edited Dec 19, 2009 02:52PM) (new)

LynnB 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?Using goodreads handy-dandy adjustable date-read feature, I come up with 143 and since I read a few that I didn't log in, my guess is the total is about 150.

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? About 200. I try to use the library a lot, and I try to keep working on the TBRs so the pile at least "holds" its size.

3. What are 3 "New Year's Reading Resolutions" you'd like to set for yourself for the coming year? (1)To lower my at-home TBR piles by at least 1/4 of the books currently there. (2) To read at least 150 books again this year. (3)To complete the challenges I am in on Goodreads.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. Oh, easy! Housework and computer surfing!

5. Name 3 authors you've never read before, but definitely plan to try in 2010. I can't name three off-hand, but I'm sure I'll read several new authors this year -- I always do.

message 11: by Nita (last edited Dec 19, 2009 11:18AM) (new)

Nita (gillnit) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
As of this moment my count is at 176, but I am guessing I will reach 180 by the end of the year.

Not a lot. I borrow way more from the library. I say I own about 20 TBR books.

1. Read more non-fiction
2. Try some playaways
3. Stop fantasizing about owning an e-reader

Honestly I read a lot as it is; I do not really need to give up anything for more reading.

1. Alyssa Day
2. Diana Gabaldon
3. Maria Zimmer Bradley

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie (grundig) | 57 comments I have read 76 books so far this year and hope to make it to 80 or more.

I have over 500 books in my TBR pile. I just can't stop buying books.

I am making just resolution this year and that is to turn off the TV and do more reading.

There's not much I can give up to read more since I read a lot as is it is.

Right of off the top of my brain, no names come to mind that I want to read for the 1st time. I would have to go through my pile of books to see.

message 13: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (ibeforem) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
132. I'll get 133 finished (ebook on my phone), but probably not 134. I just started Shogun, and it's 1210 pages of quite small print.

This is embarrassing... 688. Not counting ebooks or audiobooks.

First, I'd like to get my pile of review books under control. These are books that I've received from publishers, publicists, or authors that I've agreed to review. Second, I want to read more of my own books, since as you can see from question 2, I have plenty. And third, I have several series I'd like to catch up on.

I need to cut down on my computer time and my tv time.

5. Name 3 authors you've never read before, but definitely plan to try in 2010
Scott Westerfeld
Elizabeth Kostova
David Morrell

message 14: by Barbara ★ (last edited Dec 19, 2009 11:53AM) (new)

Barbara ★ My TBR shelf was so huge (2500+) that I had difficulty telling what I owned and what I still needed to purchase so I created two TBR shelves.

TBR - Need
TBR - Own

Also, how about a shelf by year to keep track of how many books you read in any given year?

Read in 2009
Read in 2010

These make it much easier to manage my mountain of books.

message 15: by Barbara ★ (last edited Dec 19, 2009 12:07PM) (new)

Barbara ★ 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
421 so far but probably 430 by years end.

1) Complete all the challenges I enter. I sell books online so I have to read those first and often that screws me up.

2) Maintain my two small notebooks more promptly.
1- One for series books - what I've read, what I own and what I need.
2- One for books to buy - sorted by month published.

3) Only buy books that I intend to keep get all others from the library. My overspending at Borders is killing me.

My job. haha. I spend too much time on FB playing Farmville and Farmtown which takes way too much time to maintain. Oh BTW, I need neighbors, anyone a FV or FT player?

5. Name 3 authors you've never read before but definitely plan to try in 2010
Anne McCaffrey - I own 14 of her books but haven't read any yet.
Denise Rossetti - I just picked up two sci-fi books by her.
Shannon Butcher - I have first book in a series.
Jeanne Stein - I have first book in a series.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
205 - I was pregnant with complications for the first half of the year so didn't do much but put my feet up and read!

1 - To read more than I buy or swap.
2 - To read as many authors who are new to me as possible.
3 - To start reading to my baby daughter - start her young!

My job and the housework

Kerrelyn Sparks
Jennifer Armintrout
Colleen Gleason

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (Shuga) | 174 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine) 125 so far

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read) 275+

1. find time to read more
2. no more books until I have read what I have
3. start only one book

1. television after Feb Super Bowl that will be easy no more weekend football
2. less computer time

1. Lora Leigh
2. Sherrilyn Kenyon
3. Kelly Armstrong

message 18: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 39 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
I am just short of 450 books
I have 498 books on the second floor of my house, not counting cookbooks, non-fiction or other specific collections. there are roughly 1000 books on the first floor.

Read less books and get out more.
Read no more than 3 hrs a day.
Do less challenges and have more fun reads.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. Nothing, i Have too much reading time already.

i read 50 new athors a year. There is no one i can think of I want to try.

Lindy/CT

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

100-150 (I only kept track of about 95 so I know I did way more)

250ish

- Try at least one new author a month
- Try to read more non-fiction
- Keep track so this time next year I have a real, definite list

Actually, I think my reading time is about right. So I won't change anything there. i need to cut down on my computer time. Lol!

- J.A. Konrath
- ELizabeth Peters
- Ilona Andrews

message 20: by ~Sara~ (last edited Dec 19, 2009 08:00PM) (new)

~Sara~ | 171 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

Somewhere between 100 and 150

If I counted them all it would take away from my reading time! At least enough to get me through this challenge :)

-to finish this challenge.
-to keep track of the books I've read. I don't really know how many I read in a year and sometimes I forget if I've read a book before.
-to read all the books on my shelf that have been patiently waiting for me to get to them.

I'd be more than willing to give up work, but I don't think my landlord would approve!
I usually cut back on sleep when I need more reading time. I don't watch a lot of t.v., but I'd cut the few hours I watch a month for reading. Unless the show/movie is based on a book - then I'd have a problem!

Sue Grafton
Lisa Kleypas
Kurt Vonnegut

message 21: by Jan (last edited Dec 19, 2009 09:57PM) (new)

Jan 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)approximately 160, not counting December

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read)I couldn't even begin to count the books I own.

3. What are 3 "New Year's Reading Resolutions" you'd like to set for yourself for the coming year? (1) find a place for and organize books TBR; (2) finish two series, and (3) check out no more than 8 books at a time from the library.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. I have no problem finding reading time, especially when I'm in the middle of a good book!

5. Name 3 authors you've never read before, but definitely plan to try in 2010. Scott Turow, Diana Gabaldon and Suzanne Collins

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

Hundreds on my computer and my Kindle.

More variety in my reading, less buying, and finish 144 books :)

TV and internet surfing.

Guy Gavriel Kay
Haruki Murakami
Patrick O'Brian

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (Wendyblue1) | 90 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
I would say around 110

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read) probably 500 (the kids will tell you more LOL)

3. What are 3 "New Year's Reading Resolutions" you'd like to set for yourself for the coming year?\
1) Try to read more of the series that I have started 2) Try to not go to the library as often (yeah right - I have already reached my limit of 50 books out 3) Read more often

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. 1) computer time 2) tv time

Kelley Armstrong - Anne Rice - Louise Penny

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 158 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
190-210 somewhere in there.

considering that my TBR list on GR is only 4 or 5 books long, it's not surprising that I only own 1 from my list. However, I refer to Mt. ToBeRead often enough. This refers to the actual mountain of books that inhabit my home.

Picture a Day project, double digit increase in gross sales for the wedding business, keep same weight or less at end of 2010 as 2009.

not much here. I did that in 2009. I watch 3-4 hours of TV per week. I already cut back on sleeping. the only other thing is computer time, but I rather enjoy that.

Nora Roberts, Lisa Kleypas, and A N Roquelaure (yeah I know I read books by this author, but not under this name.

Shari*LoveMiKindle* 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

180 in print and 52 on my Kindle

Keep better track of the books I've read.
Try to read at least one non-fiction book a month.
Get rid of my TBR pile.

I read a lot but I could spend less time playing games on Facebook I guess...but I know I won't.

J R Ward
Casey Daniels
Karen Chance
Jenna Black
Many more...

message 26: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 100 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine) 317 through Dec. 20 (not counting children's books read to grandkids)

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read) 125+

a. Read more books off my classics list (hopefully one more year will do it. Not all the classics, mind, just the ones on the list I made!)
b. Plan my library requests better!
c. Enjoy the challenges I enter and not obsess over having to finish every one! I'm very competitive so I need to learn when to back off.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up (or cut down on) in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010. I probably already read too much, so no cutting down or giving up anything (except I probably should cut down on chocolate!)

Kylie Brant
Tessa Dare
Michael Crichton - I've seen movies made from his books, and my hubby has read his books for years, but I haven't read any

message 27: by Shannon (last edited Dec 22, 2009 12:22AM) (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 59 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

So far, 76.

694 or 957 including unread manga

1. Read more books this year than last
2. To not buy a book in a series if I'm not caught up to it yet
3. Complete a reading challenge!

1. Time spent fooling around on the internet
2. TV

1. Karen Chance
2. Jane Austen
3. Stephen King

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

55 - Not to shabby considering I only downsized my career life to one job, 6 months ago!

Umm, Not sure, I have a LOT of eBooks and I am not sure how many of those are actually on my TBR... but I have 20+ hard copies

♥ Not feel guilty about purchasing at least ONE book a month

♥ Read two Classics that I have not already read in an educational setting

♥ Find new and improved ways of interesting my children (Students that is) in the power and fulfillment of reading!

♠ My consistent compulsive need to spend 4 hours a week rearranging my iPod play lists - I'm just going to have to learn that my Cardio list will always be the same 50 songs no matter how many times I revamp it

♠ No more watching re-runs on tv! I have wasted countless hours watching Criminal Minds re-runs on A&E when I could be reading!

message 29: by Anna (last edited Dec 22, 2009 01:55AM) (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 60 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

I'm keeping track for another group so I know I've read 111.

Around 50, I have them on ebook

to finish this challenge (read 144 books)
read at least two non fiction books
read some of the classics

I have quite a bit of reading time at the moment, so I don't know

I'm currently on an urban fantasy fix, the three authors reflect this:
Ilona Andrews
Kelley Armstrong
Devon Monk

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
158- but I have read a lot more than ever before this year. I used to manage around 70-90 books a year.

Probably about 400 or more!

I neeed to read and prune my books so that they fit back on the bookshelves to keep dh happy.
2. I need to try not to buy any new books and use the library for those 'must have now' reads.
3. I need to try and finish some challenges.

I need to spend less time on the internet- but probably read more than anything else at the moment anyway.
2. Maybe I need to get my teenagers to pick up after themselves more- so that I can clean quicker!

I want to read a few more classics- so they will probably be those authors, although I am always keen to pick out new authors.

message 31: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Jay (lovinglife1957) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine) ~63~

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read) ~77~

a. To put a huge dent in my book list.
b. To read more classics
c. To spend less time on the internet and more time reading

a. Internet time
b. Talking on the phone

~I think I've read almost ever author out there~

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda (mslinda8393) | 52 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
Not many, as I've been in grad school most of the year--I'm not in school anymore, so I have more time.

It would be safe to say the number would be over 1,000.

1) Read only one book at a time!
2) Don't buy a book unless necessary.
3) Clear out the book shelves through GR's Book Swap.

Cut way down on time spent online, and not watch TV.
1) Jayne Castle
2) Jessica Andersen
3) Gregory Maguire

message 33: by Journeywoman (new)

Journeywoman | 36 comments Kelly R wrote: "1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

132 including re-reads

2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already re..."

I can't count that high!

1) Read more non-fiction
2) Join a book group (in person)
3) Keep an open mind when reading.

Laundry
Housework

Stieg Larson
George Elliot
Tanya Huff

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (ljones08) | 24 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine) 56 so far plus at least 2 more by the end of the year.. So I have a huge goal for this year! lol
2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read) 28 which I thought was a lot until I read some of the other peoples answers!! lol
1. Finish reading all the books I currently own
2. Read more of the classics
3. Try a new genre
1. Cut down on internet time
2. Less Tv time - although I don't watch much to begin with anyways
1. CJ Box
2. Margaret Atwood
3. Cormac McCarthy

message 35: by Morgan (last edited Dec 22, 2009 05:10PM) (new)

Morgan F (Awesomeness1) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
I've read 158 since January 1st, but the number will probably be in the 160's by the end of the year. My goal last year was to read 180, but some of my classes required more attention.

Not many. I'm getting some books for Christmas though. I get most of my books from the library.

Read more classics, balance out the YA, and to write reviews.

Television (which I watch religously) and I would like to give up homework....

Geez, I'm going to try to read all new authors, unless its a sequel to a series I'm invested in.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 20 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?

101 new books. Probably about another 100 re-reads.

All but 3...so about 24...I think that's the number I have posted right now.

1) Read more history books.
2) Read more reference books.
3) Read all the books currently on my TBR.

1)Sleep
2)TV

1-3)I am open to suggestions...?

message 37: by Alix (new)

Alix (goaskalix) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
Approximately 200.

Approximately 60.

Read more Young Adult novels.
Read more Canadian authors.
Re-read some books from High School & College.

4. Name 2 things you'd be willing to give up in order to give yourself more reading time in 2010.
Anything. I already give up television, going out etc. when I want to read...

- Diana Gabaldon
- Meghan McCafferty
- Karen Marie Moning

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan (SuperBookFreak) | 114 comments . What is the total number of books you have read this year? 40
2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? about 10
1) Read more books
2) set more time aside to read
3) Buy more books to read
1) computer time
2) tv time
1)Gabrielle Lord
2) J.R. Ward
3) can't think of a third one

message 39: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie (mackenzierm) | 88 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
101.. am on my 102 right now though :)
uhm, i have no idea..
a. Finish reading all the books I have borrowed from my friend :)
b. Read at least 100 books.
c. Read more often during the week.
1. Cut down on internet time
2. Less Tv time - although I don't watch much to begin with anyways
1. LJ Smith
2. PC Cast
3. Melissa Marr

message 40: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 11 comments 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
As of 12/27/09, 132 +4 CR's

This is embarrassing, but according to the cross-over from my "books I own" shelf that are also on my "to read" shelf, I come up with 955. I'm suddenly inspired to keep my Number 1 resolution for 2010...

1. CUT DOWN ON BOOK BUYING! Since I know it will be impossible to expect myself to never buy books, I really need to at least stick to a very strict budget.
2. Give myself more reading time.
3. Finish reading challenges I start.

Less TV and computer. I spend more time playing on GR than I do actually reading LOL!

Julie Kenner, Devon Monk, and Deidre Knight

message 41: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynhoskison) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
200ish.
75 or so
a. Read to my babies EVERY night.
b. Go to bed by midnight - no matter how good the book.
c. Never to leave home without my book
1. INTERNET, INTERNET, INTERNET!
2. Computer, computer, computer.
1. Khaled Hosseini
2. Muhammad Yunus
3. Jack Finney

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly . What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
No idea - i have never kept track before.

Probably about 50 - not sure how many I have lent to my mom to read first :)

1. Stick to my rule of not buying books and hitting the library
2. Cut down on TV time even more. No new TV shows in 2010!
3. Read at least one business/economics book a month to keep up my knowledge for work. etc.

I would love to say I will spend less time on Facebook but I am not sure I can commit to that. I just need to work on my time management skills!

Sue Grafton
Mary Higgins Clark
I know have more on my to-read list that I have never read before but I can't recall the names. I am constantly finding new authors that look interesting just checking out others' posts.

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyauer) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? I took a long hiatus from reading and didn't start reading regularly again until just this past November, but I'm averaging about 10 books per month. I will be pushing it to try to get to the 144 goal.
2. How many total TBR books do you personally own? (not counting the books you've already read). maybe three. I don't buy books. I love the thrill of the hunt for a good book from the library and the anticipation of a book finally becoming available on my hold list.
1. I resolve to read more often.
2. I resolve to complete the readings challenges I've committed to.
3. I resolve to be more active on Goodreads.
1. Computer time.
2. Sleep time.
1. Geraldine Brooks
2. Ted Dekker
3. John Hart

message 44: by Jamie (last edited Dec 28, 2009 05:31PM) (new)

Jamie 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)

55-60

75-100

1. Read at least 3 books from physical TBR shelf per month
2. Read with my kids more often (at least 20 minutes, 5+ days a week)
3. Read at least 1 non-fiction book per month

Like most, I am willing to give up much of my tv and internet time.

Alexander Dumas
Elizabeth Gaskell
Neil Gaiman

message 45: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa theJeepDiva (thejeepdiva) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
about 110 & I did not start reading again until
April

Probably a couple dozen.

go to the library vs so many purchases
find a new genre to obsess over
stop lending my books to people that never
return them

I am leaving my job in February

Kresley Cole
Christina Dodd
Gena Showalter

Margie (Bookzombie) (Bookzombie08) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
I counted based on what I had entered on Goodreads last year and I am sad to say 39. *hangs head in disappointent
LOL, over a 100...books are like crack for me.
a. Hit the 144 mark by the end of the year.
b. Branch out and read on subjects I know nothing about.
c. Read every day (if I don't do this I will never make 144).
a. Television
b. Internet
a. Bentley Little
b. Neil Gaiman
c. David Wellington
* I have multiple books from all of these authors on my TBR shelves.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?
If you count all the many re-reads that I did last year in addition to new books then I think I was in the 90ish range... but like I said, I did A LOT of re-reads.

Maybe around 30ish? I haven't counted them, but I am really good at buying books actually on my TBR list... just bad about actually reading them right away.

(1.) Read the books I already own before running out to purchase new books to sit on my shelf.
(2.) Try seeing a movie first then reading the book to see which way I prefer. (I miss a lot of movies at the theater simply because I hadn't read the book yet.)
(3.) Try to learn that I don't always have to keep a book once I've finished reading it. At the rate I'm going I'm going to need to install floor to ceiling shelves in my home! (Which I would absolutely LOVE but... yeah)

Hmmm... this one's hard. I really don't watch much TV as it is... okay, (1.) Spend more time reading than playing online (going to be SO hard!) (2.) Read during spare time at work (I already do this, but have not been truly dedicated to it).

(1.) Laurell K. Hamilton
(2.) Italo Calvino (tried last year, but couldn't make it all the way through one of his books)
(3.) Jose Manuel Prieto

message 48: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?

20 out of 159

1. Try at least one new author per month
2. Join a book club
3. Try a new genre of book once every other month

1. Computer time when I'm working overnights
2. TV

1. Craig Johnson
2. Stephen Lawhead
3. Charlie Huston

6. Name any authors you'd be willing to give a second chance to in 2010

1. Gregory Maguire

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year? (an approximate number or range is fine)
I don't know I did not keep track, I am doing that this year. I don't want to guess.

I would say over 300.

1. Don't buy so many new books
2. Complete Challengs
3. Read over 50 books

Scrapbooking and computer time

1. Margaret George
2. Kathryn Stockett
3. Eileen Goudge

message 50: by Kinga (last edited Jan 08, 2010 01:02AM) (new)

Kinga 1. What is the total number of books you have read this year?

Assuming that actually means 2009 - 53

I am not at home where have all my neat lists but I moved to London a little over a year ago and have managed to accumulate about 130 I think. I have read maybe 30 of the which leaves me with a hundred.

- read some Nobel prize winners
- read more books, buy less books
- get a subscription to London Review of Books

- mindless internet surfing
- staring at people on the tube
I would add working because I would definitely be willing to cut down on that but I don't know how boss would feel about it.

- Salman Rushdie
- Henry Miller
- David Mitchell or Günter Grass

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Deborah Crombie (other topics)
Suzanne Collins (other topics)
Anne McCaffrey (other topics)
Jeanne C. Stein (other topics)
More...