KidLit discussion

Who are ten illustrators every "kid person" should know?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
In a similar vein to the other top ten list question, let us know whose illustrations captivate the kids in your life (and which ones dazzle you, too).

message 2: by Pulung (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Pulung | 4 comments ha ha!

I like Eric Carle (I forgot the right spelling of his name)

I like some othe persons whom I forgot the names. I'll try to remember and share you =)

-Ria-

message 3: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
After thinking about it some, here are my votes.

For the very young (in no particular order):
1. Ann Jonas
2. Tomie De Paola
3. Mo Willems
4. Dr. Seuss
5. Pat Hutchins
6. Denise Fleming
7. Lois Ehlert
8. Leslie Patricelli
9. Donald Crews
10. Molly Bang

Honorable mentions:
Byron Barton, Kit Allen, Gene Zion, Eric Carle

For elementary school-aged through adult:
1. Chris Raschka
2. Peter Sis
3. Leo and Diane Dillon
4. Maurice Sendak
5. Chris Van Allsburg
6. Aliki
7. Christopher Myers
8. Jerry Pinkney
9. Barbara Cooney
10. Kevin Henkes

Honorable mentions:
Bryan Collier, Brian Pinkney, Ian Falconer, Ezra Jack Keats, Arnold Lobel, Robert McCloskey, Uri Shulevitz

message 4: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Crystal Allen | 5 comments Well I'm not sure if these are ones that everyone should know but they are some of my favorites:

Chris Van Dusen (author and illustrator)
Chris Van Allsburg (author and illustrator)
Adam Rex (author and illustrator)
J. Otto Seibold (author and illustrator)
David Shannon (author and illustrator)
Jill McElmurry
Robert Ingpen
Kevin Hawkes
LeUyen Pham
Vladimir Radunsky
David Wiesner (author and illustrator)
Melanie Watt (author and illustrator)
Lauren Child (author and illustrator)
Rob Gonsalves
Wallace Edwards (author and illustrator)
Dianna Bonder (author and illustrator)

Also for really great retro style illustrations that were done in flash animation then transfered to the page check out Chris Mizzoni and his book Clancy with the Puck

Gosh this is fun. I could go on forever. Please note that I'm sure some of the people I listed above could be authors as well as illustrators that I didn't make note of.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Diane (dianes) My favorite illustrator is David Catrow.I'll have to think a while to come up with 9 others.

message 6: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Diane (dianes) Here are my other 9:
Eric Carle
Lois Ehlert
Jim Arnosky
Tedd Arnold
Bryan Collier
Chris Van Allsburg
Betsy Lewin
Denise Fleming
John Butler

message 7: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Yikes, I could go on forever too! But I will just add ten to the already great list going here:

William Steig
Quentin Blake
David Small
Lane Smith
Simms Taback
Douglas Florian
Stephen Gammell
Henrik Drescher
Uri Shulevitz
Lisbeth Zwerger

message 8: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Yikes, I could go on forever too! But I will just add ten to the already great list going here:

William Steig
Quentin Blake
David Small
Lane Smith
Simms Taback
Douglas Florian
Stephen Gammell
Henrik Drescher
Uri Shulevitz
Lisbeth Zwerger

message 9: by Pulung (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Pulung | 4 comments yeah!

I like Quentin Blake!
He worked for Mathilda illustrataion, right? If I'm not mistaken. The story by Roald Dahl?

=P~~
-Ria-

message 10: by Pulung (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Pulung | 4 comments Actually there are lots of good illustrators in Indonesia...

But,
Too bad.. they heve not published Internationally...

So,
I couldn't show you, guys!

=(

-Ria-

message 11: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Robert Tabb (Robert_C_Tabb) | 4 comments I'll throw out Gramae Base. His books are so captivating. I can spend hours pouring over just a couple of pages of his illustrations.

message 12: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments A few off of the top of my head:

1. Dav Pilkey
2. Jan Pienkowski
3. Garth Williams
4. Dr. Suess
5. Beatrix Potter
6. Lynley Dodd
7. Peter Kent
8. Peter McCarty
9. Henry J. Ford
10. Aliki

message 13: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 8 comments 1. Jan Brett
2. Peter Reynolds
3. Johnathan London
4. Quentin Blake
5. David Catrow
6. Dr. Seuss
7. Beatrix Potter
8. Kevin Henkes
9. Tasha Tudor
10. Dav Pilkey

message 14: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Alexandra my favorite illustrators are Michael Hague, Maurice Sendak, Mercer Mayer, Dr. Suess.

message 15: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" Garth Williams, for E. B. White's books: Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan.

Leo and Diane Dillon, who won the Caldecott for Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears, and who have done great cover art for Sabriel and A Wrinkle in Time.

Trina Schart Hyman, who won the Caldecott for Saint George and the Dragon.

Eric Carle, I love his bright kid friendly colors.

David Wiesner, who has now won the Caldecott three times! I love Tuesday and Flotsam for their weird humor. And I admire the creativity in his The Three Pigs.

Jan Brett, for all the detail she puts in to her borders. I love The Mitten and Annie and the Wild Animals.

Lucy Cousins for her Maisy books, so kid perfect.

Jim Arnosky. I love his watercolors of wildlife.

Eric Rohmann, for his book The Cinder-Eyed Cats, and Time Flies.

Jim LaMarche, for The Raft and Albert.

message 16: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 2 comments I was glad to see Dav Pilkey on a couple of lists.

But, no one said Kadir Nelson! His pictures are amazing! Check out his books like, He's Got the Whole World in His Hands and Hewitt Anderson's Great Big Life!

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen White | 4 comments I nominate my son!

Colin White, currently 14, is the illustrator of Coolhead Luke and Other Stories, and On the Edge with Coolhead Luke. Check out some samples of his quirky work here:

http://coolheadluke.com/poems-and-drawin...

What do you think?

message 18: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 7 comments Fascinating how many of the greats are author/ illustrators. The vast majority of publishers today will not allow you to submit illustrations with your manuscript. They always say you must choose to be either an author or an illustrator. "We know illustrators. Do not send illustrations."

The business is tough and publishers feel they know what sells. It does make things rotten for thoes of us who really can do both.

Dr. Seuss would have never had a chance.

message 19: by AngieA (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) | 5 comments Some of my favorites have already been listed, like Garth Williams, Tasha Tudor, Trina Schart Hyman, Jan Brett and Dr. Seuss. I also like Eloise Wilkin and Mary Englebreit.

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Mulcahy | 25 comments I am an author of a children's picture book and had a friend illustrate for me. I couldn't get a publisher to take my book with my own illustrations so I had to self-publish. I think Patty O'Rourke is an incredible illustrator. She brought each page to life.

Book title: "Who Am I?" You can see some of her work on the pages shown on the products page of my website: www.pandaheartpublishing.com Just click on the book to see more of her pages.

Patty O'Rourke used a mix of art and photgraphy.

message 21: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 7 comments Thanks Susanne, I ended up self-publishing too. I just think most book buying fans of children's lit need to know the truth.

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Mulcahy | 25 comments Hi Krista, how do you let people looking for children's literature know about your books or find people to review them?

message 23: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 7 comments This is off topic but since you've asked...

I strongly believe that children's books live or die by word of mouth. It's a candle that burns very slowly, but in the end, if you have created something special, good stories find homes.

I do a load of guest speaking. Libraries, schools, retired teachers groups, pony clubs. Guest speaking moves lots of books fast. I take out vendor space at local writer's festivals and I set up my book tent at horse shows.

I easily get reviews from horse magazines for my back covers. That's about all I need them for.

Some things are not really about making money. When I'm long gone some 10 year old is going to read my books, look at my artwork, and know my heart.

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Mulcahy | 25 comments Sorry for getting off topic but the info was great.
Thanks so much.

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Welch (sheilakellywelch) | 6 comments Wow! Great lists! Here are a few more I like!

Bill Peet (The Wump World, Farewell to Shady Glade, etc.)
Leo Lionni (Swimmy,etc.)
John Birmingham (Mr. Gumpy's Outing)
Brinton Turkle (The Sky Dog)
Hilary Knight (The Eloise books)

And since Krista writes horse stories, how about illustrator Wesley Dennis? (By the way, Krista, I wrote a comment to you on the Introduction topic.)

message 26: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 19 comments My top ten illustrators are:

1) Henrik Drescher
2) Jerry Pinkney
3) Dr. Seuss
4) David Shannon
5) Chris Van Allsburg
6) Bill Peet
7) David Wiesner
8) William Steig
9) Maurice Sendak
10) Lane Smith

message 27: by Tracy O (new)

Tracy O | 5 comments Here are the ones that BOTH my son and I love - with David Wiesner, for example, I like him, but my son not really at all. I'm trying to do this in order of the magnitude of our passion...

1. Maira Kalman
2. Giselle Potter
3. Celestino Piatti
4. Maurice Sendak
5. Ana Juan
6. Patricia Coombs
7. David Shannon
8. Shel Silverstein
9. H.A. Rey (the Curious George illustrator)
10. Chris Van Allsburg

Also, I might have put down the Lonley Doll photographs by Dare Wright, but they are also kind of creepy and while my son gets a kick out of them so boys might not.

message 28: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 19 comments Tracy O wrote: "Here are the ones that BOTH my son and I love - with David Wiesner, for example, I like him, but my son not really at all. I'm trying to do this in order of the magnitude of our passion...

1. ..."

The Lonely Doll series? Hmm... I never heard of that series Tracy, but it does sound really interesting since I like some creepy illustrations like Henrik Drescher's.

message 29: by Tracy O (new)

Tracy O | 5 comments OK - well, this isn't like Edward Gorrey creepy, Ronyell, which is somewhat charming creepy, this is on the more disturbing side, but maybe it's just me....anyway check it out for yourself because I really don't know. My son likes it and I loved it as a small kid, but it's as a grown up that I look at this stuff and say, "hmm, this is not quite right."

message 30: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 19 comments Tracy O wrote: "OK - well, this isn't like Edward Gorrey creepy, Ronyell, which is somewhat charming creepy, this is on the more disturbing side, but maybe it's just me....anyway check it out for yourself because ..."

OK, this sounds pretty interesting. I'll check it out!

message 31: by Joan (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:56AM) (new)

Joan Holub (joan_holub) | 1 comments (Ooh, I like Edward Gorey creepy.) I see many names on these lists that I like. I started out as an illustrator, so I used to buy books for art more than story. I think we're currently in something of a golden age of illustration. I see so much out there that's wonderful. In random order, here just a few of my faves:

Leslie Patricelli
Otto Siebold
Melissa Sweet (who'll soon illustrate a book of mine, yay!)
Brian Karas
Eric Brace
Laurie Keller
James Marshall
Rosemary Wells
Jon Scieska
Sandra Boynton
Lauren Child (this makes 11, so it's one to grow on)

~ Joan Holub

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky Mcw (beckymcw) | 1 comments My favorites are:
~Mercer Mayer (Professor Wormbog's Gloomy Kerplopis, Little Critter)
~William Steig (Dr. DeSoto, Sylvester & Magic Pebble)
~Taro Gomi (Everyone Poops)
~Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are, Little Bear)
~Quentin Blake (many Roald Dahl books)
~Eric Carle (Very Hungry Catapiller, etc.)
~Beatrix Potter (Peter Rabit and others)
~Garth Williams (The Family Under the Bridge, Little House Series)
~Graeme Base (Animalia)
~Charles Mikolaycak (Nine Crying Dolls, Tam Lin, Peter and the Wolf)

message 33: by Beverly (last edited Jan 09, 2014 04:54PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) I am coming very late to this discussion, but my very, very, very most favorite illustrators are:
Trina Schart Hyman
Ruth Sanderson
David Wiesner
Jan Brett
K.Y. Craft
Anne Mortimer
Lois Ehlert
Denise Fleming

message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5 comments Also renewing the discussion.(Elsewhere known as coming late to the party.) I love the following, but there are certainly many more.
Patricia Polacco
Bagram Ibatoulline - LOVE, love, love
Maurice Sendak
Beatrix Potter
Graeme Base
Jan Brett
Lois Ehlert
Chris Van Allsburg
Eric Carle
Jan Pienkowski – especially his papercuts
Paul Goble

message 35: by Deb (new)