The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1) The Hollow Kingdom discussion

HI PPL!!!!!!!! Has Anyone Read This Book Perchance?!?!?!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare D' Lune (last edited Apr 20, 2008 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Clare D' Lune I really enjoyed these books (1:Hollow Kingdom 2:Close Kin 3:In the Coils of the Snake) There some of my favorites...

Does anyone have any objections or arguements about this book? If so, I love to argue!

~Clare~

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ well no cuz i agree w/you clare. this book is awesome!

Nicole You know I read this a few years ago never realized it was part of a trilogy. Are they all consistently good?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole: yes, they are definitely all good! What's cool is that the author keeps all the original characters in the subsequent novels, but introduces new ones as well. You know, in lots of series you either get tired of the same old characters after a while, or you miss them because the author suddenly drops them and takes on a whole new cast. Do read the rest of the series!

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Clare D' Lune wrote: "I really enjoyed these books (1:Hollow Kingdom 2:Close Kin 3:In the Coils of the Snake) There some of my favorites...

Does anyone have any objections or arguements about this book? If so, I lov..."

Ive read them :) The first book is the one I like best. It combines two things I love,the regency era and fantasy.

Jessica I read these books when I was in high school and I loved them. These books were the books that set down the fantasy rabbit hole. They were the first fantasy like books I had ever read and I was really surprised when I like them. I ended up re-reading them when I was in college just to see if they were actually any good. Turns out they were. Well, as far as YA goes anyway. I thought that the author painted a wonderful descriptive picture of this hidden world. I definitely had some issues with this book when I re-read it but not anything that made me turn away or like the books any less. These books will always have a special place in my nerd heart.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica, what issues did you have it with it, just out of curiosity?

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Jessica wrote: "I read these books when I was in high school and I loved them. These books were the books that set down the fantasy rabbit hole. They were the first fantasy like books I had ever read and I was r..."

I can relate.

Rebecca Carlson I loved these books! So delicious.

Jessica This might contain some spoilers of some things between the lines.

Toria wrote: "Jessica, what issues did you have it with it, just out of curiosity?"

Well, the whole kidnapping young girls thing was a little off putting. They all fell in love with their kidnappers pretty much. There are some serious psychological implications there (not to mention the implied rapes). It happened in all 3 books, so it was a pretty big theme overall. Not cool! Also, the second and third books were pretty predictable for me, even the first time I read them. There were also plenty of points in the book where the author could have expanded the story and the universe created but it never happened. Like I said, pretty good YA books, but YA books come with some pretty serious flaws due to the audience it's intended for. There were a lot of things I missed the first time I read them that I caught on to when I was older.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

If you read the author's website (http://www.claredunkle.com/Design/boo...), she gives some answers. Also, I didn't see any implied rape, unless you ignore the goblin "marriage". I know Clare Dunkle personally and it just doesn't seem like something she'd put. I don't know. Thanks for answering my question, though! It's nice to look at a book (or an idea, or whatever) from someone else's point of view. One understand things more thoroughly when one looks at them from different angles, I've found.

Jessica Well I am sure the author did not intend to imply anything inappropriate (also I meant the kidnapping being a big theme, not the rape). It's probably something I picked up on only because I majored in criminal justice and psychology (which also makes my definition of rape pretty broad). Like I said, these things I picked up on were not anything so overpowering that made me turn away from the books. I still think they are very creative and wonderful stories. After all, I did rate them with 4 stars.

Another thing that bothered me was that the main female character in the first book was not in enough of the other books. I really liked that character and wanted more of her story to read. Are there more of her stories somewhere?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, I understand now.

Kate? No, there aren't any more stories about her. There are "deleted scenes" (which I loved reading) on Clare Dunkle's website, but that's about it.

Jessica Awesome! I will have to check those out. As much as I love reading for some reason I never get around to checking out authors' websites. I will have to make myself look at hers though. Thanks!

message 15: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 13, 2013 08:01AM) (new) - added it

Kathleen It has issues. Stockholm Syndrome. Kidnapping (certainly implied rape). A child is nailed to a wall. Mutilation.

I would be careful about reading this to kids, but as an adult I enjoyed it.

My review : http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 16: by Catherine (last edited Jun 18, 2013 02:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Deceptive for it's lack of length, this is not a story I would necessarily read to a young child.

If I had one recommended adjustment, it would be to stretch the first book into two book, make the 2nd book the 3rd book, and nevermind the 3rd book. We didn't get to see enough of Kate's life with Marak. Heck, we saw more of the actual wedding than of her married life. We then could have spent more time seeing her life, and her descent into the "trapped underground" depression would have had more impact, as would her eventual "freedom" to go outside.

I liked seeing Emily's story, but I think the series should have ended there. Just Kate and Emily.

Also, IMO, I don't think the author really implied rape too much. Remember, Marak told us about the journals of the Kings' Wives, and all of them were very similar in the nature of treating the wives well, and wanting them to be happy. Yes, the Goblin King would have wanted a son, but I think they would have given the wives time to at least come to terms with their situation.

message 17: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora What age group is this series intended for? I only read the first one, enjoyed it enough to keep it, but I haven't had my kids read it yet. There are some issues in there that would quite possibly threaten to ruin the rest of the story for them.
Honestly, I don't use age guidelines anyway, but I'm curious what age group the author maybe had in mind, or who it is marketed to.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

^The author's website states that it is for ages 12 & up. I personally read it at ten and was a little disturbed, but I was (and am!) a voracious reader and was used to being disturbed. :p I won't give the book to my slightly immature sister until she's fourteen or fifteen, however. Hope that helps!