Tao of Jeet Kune Do Tao of Jeet Kune Do discussion

bruce lee

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Willie (new) - added it

Willie this is a good book

message 2: by Juan (new)

Juan It's an excellent book. Whether you study JKD or any other form of martial arts, this book forces you to think - about situations, responses, etc. It's also the kind of book you turn to every now and then so it's not something you read once and forget about.

Vernon Campbell Just knowing the teaching of a great martial artist, and the way he thinks about his own art was very satisfying. Being a martial artist for over 40 years I can appreciate the thought process. But for non martial artist. The calmness and details about technique and movement will be worth it....

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Jan 03, 2013 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Feliks pair it with 'The Straight Lead' which dissects key elements of his punch and shows what tradition he developed it from (Jack Dempsey and 16th c. fencing)

Jake Personally, I don't see The Tao Of Jeet Kune Do as a martial arts book but rather an philosophy book, which also touches on the aspects of the martial arts. That gives an interesting insight into the mind of one of the greatest philosopher and martial artists of the 20th Century.

message 6: by Feliks (last edited Jun 24, 2013 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Feliks H'mmm..interesting, but as I recall Lee never bought into membership in any one form; or remained long in any one rigid discipline. He developed on his own even while sampling many different styles. That's why he's outside, transcendent, & 'beyond' standard martial arts as most people usually practice them. I believe with Peyton Quinn that any martial arts 'school' potentially poses a disjunct between reality and training and also imposes groupthink. On the other hand, when you're in a school you do benefit from their rigor, you develop better self-control, you learn martial courtesy and honor, and find better training methods than you can usually develop on your own. I guess what I'm saying is, for some people, its better to know when to withdraw from training rather than fixate on belts and ranks over the course of a career. What rank did Lee attain, ultimately? Not even sure he acknowledged anything like that.

Sylvan Clarke Bruce Lee's personal motivational philosophies and technical artistry help make this book an absolute treasure for any enlightened martial artist. The concepts of minimised essential movement can, if so inclined, also be utilised in other activities such as dance, sporting events and even in business, making this book universally adaptable as a highly worthy piece of literature. Excellent book.

Stuart I read this book when I was 13/14 years of age because I was enamoured with Bruce as were many in the 70s. It was difficult to grasp but I kept at it. It gave me some very sound and fundamental philosophical outlook that wasn't realised until much later in life. RIP BL. I agree with much of what has been said.