Dracula Dracula discussion

Journals on Novels

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Umar This novel contains several diaries or journals by the characters involve in the story, but the Dracula himself.

The diaries tell us the story from the characters point of view, including the dialog which happened to be, by my own perception, too detail to tell. Can't help it to think that people are really able to remember all the scenes happen in their daily life.

But, most of all, the book is really good. The characters have so many perspectives, representing the plots, stand out by their own definition. And, off course, being the main character, the Dracula remains under his shadow, the darkest side of the story, keep making the readers wonder and wonder, if it's not get bored in the end---at some point for some instances...

Pola i have just read your comment, 4 years later of you writing it and i wanted to say that i agree with your point of view. i have read Dracula recently and to tell you the truth i find it kind of boring at some points. the whole mystery thing on the part of dracula doesn't seem so appealing to me after all. i would like to see what he thinks for a change and not onlly what the others think.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 19, 2011 04:00PM) (new)

I love this book. I think Bram Stoker didn't write a Dracula's point of view on purpose. Like Sam said, Dracula is the dark side of the story, and some parts we have something almost like Dracula's point of view when he can see (or feel) what is happening with Mina, since they have (or share) a blood bond. I didn't find this book boring in any moment. Actually, Dracula was the first vampire book I read.

Leticia Duret Villanueva I agree with you all. Dracula is the protagonist of the novel, he gives the novel its title, but he has no voice. The journal form offers a personal view of the action, and so the reader feels identified with the character who writes the journal, or can understand him or her better. The fact that Dracula does not offer his personal vision establishes a distance between the reader and this character. Maybe the author does not want the reader to feel identified with Dracula, since he represents the evil. I think it is a clever way to write the book, I found it very interesting and original when I read it.

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara For me the effect of what the other characters regarding Dracula is what makes the novel interesting

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara For me the effect of what the other characters regarding Dracula is what makes the novel interesting

message 7: by Gerd (last edited Jul 01, 2011 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gerd After watching a Dracula documentary yesterday I'm tempted to read the book over again, they made an interesting argument that in the end the novel is showing a race between Dracula and the arriving modern age.

I must admit that it's an aspect of the novel I didn't give much thought when I initially read it.
I had my head too stuffed with harebrained articles about Stoker/Dracula's comment about Victorian England's repressed sexuality.