Stephen King Fans discussion

The Stand
This topic is about The Stand
Movies & TV shows > The stand mini series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
The stand mini series will be on Sci-Fi this Sunday. It can be hard to find so if you are wanting to see it check it out!

Rebecca van Doren | 6 comments I've seen it twice. Some parts they did really well, some just flopped. Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe, Bill Fagerbaake (sp?), Ray Walston, Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis were perfectly cast, Molly Ringwald and some of the minor character were less successful. The early scenes with the flu ravaging the country were well done. But unfortunately, the big final showdown was not the spectacle it should have been. That was the weakest part of the book and they stayed too close to it. I'd love to hear other comments, criticisms?

Hayley | 83 comments I keep hearing about The Stand and how good it is but the size of the book keeps putting me off - I may just bite the bullet and order it of Amazon. I think I need to read the book before venturing into the mini serie.

message 4: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

YES read the book before the mini-series. The book is SOOOO much better, and the mini-series might make you not want to read the book.

message 5: by Steve (last edited Jun 26, 2008 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve I was a-little let down by Flagg being some wierd loser. He wasn't scary like he was in the book at all. I loved Gary Sinese, and I did enjoy Molly Ringwall. I also thought the casting for Tom was perfect! The guy off of Coach! Brilliant! But the book is amazing at around 1100 pages its too short and leaves you wanting more.

Shane (themre) I agree - read the book first - and go ahead and get the full, unabridged version that came out after the first publication. Once you see the mini-series it will be almost impossible to envision the characters as anything other than the actors from the movie.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I loved the mini-series. Definitely as a companion to the book, though! You definitely need to read the book first!

Hayley | 83 comments I'm so reading the book this weekend - I ordered it off Amazon Prime today, so it will come tomorrow - I'll probably have read it come Monday morning - if I really enjoy a book I can get through them really quickly. Example, IT took me 3 days to read.

Steve Wow, I have IT and I have to wait before I read it. I read the Stand right after I read Insomnia and I was done with the biggies for awhile. But is 'IT' a better novel of his, because I wasn't that impressed with the movie.

Hayley | 83 comments Steve IT is a brilliant book, the film leaves out a lot and I was never a fan of the film either. Give it a try and you'll find you love the book - I found that I could understand what it was like to have such a strong bond as children, to drift apart and then to come back together.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 34 comments You'd probably have enjoyed Insomnia more if you'd read IT before.

It's lovely going back to Derry and looking in on Mike Hanlon and the library.

Hayley | 83 comments I've never read Insomnia, thats another one to add to my list.

message 13: by Steve (last edited Jun 27, 2008 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve I mostly read Insomnia for the huge connection with the Dark Tower series, mostly. The whole encounter with Flagg(also the Stand) and Patrick Danville. Is their much of that in IT. Not that I wouldn't read it if there wasn't.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Steve, I don't think I would say "IT" was a better novel than "THE STAND". I love them both, but my vote would definitely be with "THE STAND".

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

So Insomnia should be read after IT? I didn't know those two books went together. I have Insomnia sitting on myself and was going to read it.. but I guess I should wait till I read IT, right?

message 16: by Dan (last edited Jun 28, 2008 02:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 34 comments They don't go together as per se. There are references in Insomnia that you'll only pick up from having read IT, as its set in the same town and has a character that was in IT. Plus there are loads of Dark Tower references, I was so glad I read this before reading the last two Dark Tower books. Insomnia is quite a long book and you seem to either love it or hate it. I loved it. Best read if you're in between reading the Dark Tower books or afterwards, craving for references to the Tower.

Steve - No references to the tower in IT. But you'll understand a bit more about 'Dandelo' from the last Tower book. Either way, you should read IT, it's extremely good, definitely up there with The Stand as King's best work.

Shane (themre) Hey Angie - you really don't need to read them in any order - they are connected and interwoven, but you don't have to read one before the other for them to make sense. The only books of King's I feel should be read in order are the Gunslinger books.

message 18: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 34 comments Sorry Shane, but I have to disagree with you there.

If you read Insomnia first, you'll miss all of the references that were written for those who have read IT. It is true that the books are by no means a continuation but if you are pedantic like me and wish to enjoy all the little connections, then it is best to read Insomnia first.

Of course, you can argue that the best way to read them would be by publication date. But that's probably a bit overkill.

Here's a handy little spoiler free 'road map' I saw a while back

http://web.archive.org/web/2007021923...

message 19: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

That is a good map! I really like it and am going to print it!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I saved it also. Although I think there are more connections than that, but its a great start!

Robert (restlessstranger) | 37 comments er how is bag of bones connected with the first tower book.... i must of missed that one

Hayley | 83 comments I'm still waiting for my copy of The Stand to arrive, the book was too big to fit through my letter box so I have had to re-arrange delivery twice, the first time they didn't show up and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I really want to get reading this :(

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (sparkly3tchr) | 7 comments This is my favorite Stephen King book. Of course, I thought the book was so much better than the mini series but I enjoyed the mini series as well. I think IT is a scarier book than The Stand but The Stand is just genius to me. Does anyone notice that many of his other books have similarities to The Stand? Just in their story and the basic good versus evil thing. I just read Desperation and certain aspects of it reminded me of The Stand.

Hayley | 83 comments I'll find out soon, my book finially showed up adn I can't wait to get my teeth stuck into this one.
I loved IT and think it is one of King's best books.

Shane (themre) Well sure if you're a pedantic like Dan ;) But for someone who has read them all, many of them twice, I can say there is no need to read any of his books in any special order outside of the Gunslinger series. Even Black House and The Talisman can be read in any order without ruining either one. You personally may have found references "written for those who have read IT" but Stephen King did not write anything in Insomnia specifically for those who have read IT. Almost all of his books are linked and interwoven but not always in any special order.

Hayley | 83 comments Right, I'm 3/4 of the way through this book and I love it, I can see this quite realistically happening sometime in the future - in terms of an epidemic not neccessarily a good v evil thing. I'm really rooting for The Free Zoners though I keep wanting to shout at Fran your right about Harold he's a bad one and I don't like Nadine, I think Harold was changing especially being on the burial commitee(sp) but then Nadine comes along and is leading him down his original path. I can't wait to get to the end. Who does Gary Sinise play in The Stand mini series?

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments your right Kathy i think there more but that map is very cool! Bravo

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Angie your also right read the Stand 1st b4 the mini series then just skip the series you will be very dissapointed they changed so much i was burnt!!lol

Lonnie I can't open the link (banned at work)for the map. Can someone save it and forward it to me?

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I agree shane order doesnt matter you will pick up the little similaritys anyway if your a Gunslinger junkie and you never really leave Rolands world once you enter!lol

message 31: by Becky (last edited Sep 23, 2008 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I noticed that nobody mentioned the larger Dark Tower connection than even Dandelo... The Turtle. =)

On another note, I happen to agree with Dan. I think that IT should be read first, so that all the nuances of Insomnia are recognized.

They were not written as sequels or even technically as companion books, but if you get right down to it, nearly ALL of King's books are companions to the other. They have connections and references to his other books that are so brilliantly done, that if you haven't read the book that is being referenced, you miss that little "Aha!" moment. I personally love that moment. (For one example: Cynthia Smith, originally from Rose Madder, makes an appearance in Desperation and The Regulators, if I remember correctly.)

I believe that originally King may have just loved certain characters and wasn't ready to let them go yet. So he wrote them into new stories. Or, maybe there is a larger power at work, and King is listening for Gan. =)

Getting back to my main point, I think that Insomnia could have been set just about anywhere and had the same story take place. He could have even revived Castle Rock if he chose to, but he picked Derry, and tied in all sorts of references to IT, that I think are additions to the story, if not important to it. I think, for the full effect, IT should be read first, although it is not required, like Shane said.

Either way, make sure you read your King!

message 32: by Katarina (last edited May 12, 2009 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katarina (katarinaw) | 62 comments I just watched The Stand miniseries and it's... pretty bad. Unfortunately, because I really love the book.

I think some of the casting is ok, Gary Sinise (even though I'd pictured Stu Redman as older and more of an Ed Harris type. Who also happens to be in it, by the way!), Rob Lowe, Ray Walston, the dude who played Tom Cullen. But most of the cast was so completely off! Trashcan man was too old. Harold Lauder was too good looking and don't even get me started on Molly Ringwald (and I like her! But she was so wrong for this part). I din't care for Laura San Giacomo as Nadine Cross either.

And is it just me, but I always pictured Randall Flagg as an african american! And tall and muscular. Too me he looked kind of like Michael Clarke Duncan who played John Coffey in The Green Mile.

Mysticalgoddess Katarina wrote: "I just watched The Stand miniseries and it's... pretty bad. Unfortunately, because I really love the book.

I think some of the casting is ok, Gary Sinise (even though I'd pictured Stu Redman as ol..."

I totally agree with you on the movie series, I found it to be very corney, unfortunately most of S.K.'s movies are, his books are so much better!! I couldn't even finish the mini series before I got bored with it. So I am clueless about the ending! I got to the middle of the series. which by the way that is where I am now in the book. I consider this an achievement for myself, since I started reading this book 3 weeks ago. I definitely like Book 2, because we are starting to see all of the characters coming together and which group they will be in. I like the fact that S.K. is writing about everyone's dreams including the bad guys, and how they feel about them, it's quite different from the other group. I can't wait to get past Book 2 and read Book 3!! I have a good feeling I may finish this book at the end of the month!!

message 34: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Feb 03, 2011 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am sure people have starting hearing the talks about the Stand movie. Here is what King thinks:

http://blastr.com/2011/02/stephen-kin...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/03...

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments They're making a remake!? Awesome! Though Gary Sinise was the best Stu... still... a remake! Yay! That's pretty exciting, it better be awesome lol.

message 36: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin They are actually REMAKING The Stand!?! That is SO WRONG. Stephen said it best, "Sinese was perfect."

Steve | 247 comments This is a rather pointless idea. I'd rather a remake of IT, or even an adaptation of The Breathing Method than this.

message 38: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
Pointless to make a big budget epic of one of the greatest novels ever? I'm glad Peter Jackson didn't take that approach...

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Agrimorfee wrote: "This is a rather pointless idea. I'd rather a remake of IT, or even an adaptation of The Breathing Method than this."

Supposedly there's a remake of IT in the works, which I'm also very happy about :)

Chris wrote: "Pointless to make a big budget epic of one of the greatest novels ever? I'm glad Peter Jackson didn't take that approach..."

I agree with you there! LotR trilogy is on the top of my list of best movies ever, can't wait for The Hobbit.

Steve | 247 comments Pointless to remake The Stand, not pointless to adapt a big book (rolls eyes).

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Agrimorfee wrote: "Pointless to remake The Stand, not pointless to adapt a big book (rolls eyes)."

I disagree. I love the mini-series. I practically grew up watching it. But I think there is new generation who would appreciate a remake much more than the mini-series. I mean, these are kids who are used to awesome effects and CGI. The mini-series, as much as I enjoy it, has pretty cheesy effects. I think a remake could bring a whole new set of fans to King's world...

"Remake" doesn't always have to be a bad thing. I have just as much sentimental love for the miniseries and for classics as anyone, but I can appreciate updated and newer versions too.

message 42: by Chris , The Hardcase (last edited Feb 05, 2011 04:03PM) (new) - added it

Agrimorfee wrote: "Pointless to remake The Stand, not pointless to adapt a big book (rolls eyes)."

LotR was just as much a remake. There was an animated movie in the early 80's. So the comparison is there.

So what you really seem to mean is, pointless to adapt that one particular big book (The Stand). Though remaking IT would be ok.

I'll agree that IT sucked and that The Stand was very good. But for reasons Becky already mentioned, I can't see where it would be a bad thing to really make a big production project out of it.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Chris wrote: "Agrimorfee wrote: "Pointless to remake The Stand, not pointless to adapt a big book (rolls eyes)."

LotR was just as much a remake. There was an animated movie in the early 80's. So the comparison ..."

Yes. LOTR is a good example of remaking a movie to appeal to a new audience. Animated movies, even as awesome as they may be, don't appeal to as wide an audience as a live action movie will. The remake(s) are flippin' awesome too. I love them.

There are always those who will love the original version and hold them sacred. I don't see it that way. I see it as more love lavished on something I love. :) (Unless they mangle it, in which case I'll stand firmly on the WTF Were They Thinking?? side of the line. LOL)

message 44: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Becky wrote: "I see it as more love lavished on something I love. :)..."

You say true, and I thank ya big big.

message 45: by Dustin (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:49PM) (new) - added it

Dustin IT did not "suck" (your wording, not mine!)

message 46: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Just to clarify, I meant the mini-series. The book was excellent.

But yes, I felt that the mini-series sucked. Other than Tim Curry, the casting was a disaster.

message 47: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin I meant the mini-series.

message 48: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Yeah, that one sucked.

message 49: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin I wholeheartedly disagree.

message 50: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Wow. That's the second time I've gotten someone to say that to me today. I'm on a roll.

« previous 1 3