Books I Loathed discussion

We're all friends here

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 136 comments Mod
Just a reminder that this group is for critiquing and griping, in a civilized way, ABOUT BOOKS. We aren't here to insult each other's taste. If you feel you have been insulted, please alert me to the situation and I will do my moderatorly best to resolve any concerns.

Thanks!
Kate

message 2: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) lol Sherri!

I felt I came close to personal attack only once here, but in the end the discussion wasn't worth it. I had to let it go. And I did, but I wrestled with it and ended up feeling - well, if not insulted - then perhaps that my mental faculties or reasoning skills were somehow in question.

(No rimshots, please! lol)

I wonder why we feel the need to so closely associate people with the books they read. I think someone else brought that up - sorry, I forget who. Books are pretty important to me, but not enough to accuse someone of craziness or a lack of sound reasoning for liking or not liking one. I've always thought it was somewhat subjective.

*shrug*

I guess it's just like life - some people take stuff way more seriously than others. :)

message 3: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Christen | 61 comments Let's also not forget the underbelly of the internet...those blasted trolls. They're everywhere, even on scholarly sites like this, and they thrive on conflict. It's best to let the trolls annoy someone else who has the time and inclination to spend hours being upset.

This one bulletin board I used to post on had this amazing description of trolls. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) Yeah, Xysea, I know what you mean about a conversation just not being worth it.

message 5: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Yes, trolls show up without the least provocation, it seems. :)

I would love to see that description of trolls. I bet it's funny!

message 6: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Christen | 61 comments Ooo I love some good troll literature! Do share!

message 7: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) I can't seem to find it -- can you post a URL?

In fairness to those who sometimes get labelled as "trolls" at the drop of a hat, just because they expressed a strong opinion, there are a lot of people who are awfully hard to talk to, as they seem to take any questioning of their opinions as a personal attack. I don't really understand why people like that want to participate in social networking sites like this -- seems almost better they should just write in their journals and churn out sensitive poetry, free from the critical eyes of the MEEN people in the world. :)

message 8: by Jammies (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Jammies As a happy and benevolent troll (with my own bridge!) I resent this stealing of my name to give to interwebbinet evildoers.

As for the topic at hand, I will admit to being passionate in my opinions. I caused much consternation on a message board recently when I made the simple statement that Stephen King is a hack. However, even while making such statements, I am aware, and hopefully convey to others, that I do not expect everyone to agree with me, and I do not think less of those who disagree.

Like Sherri, I am on shaky ground with looking down on anyone, seeing as how I am an adorer of genre fiction as well.

message 9: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Laura,

There are many people, of all different kinds, who like to participate in social-networking sites. Just because they don't use the same criteria as you do for being here doesn't mean they should go somewhere else.

Some people just like to have pleasant conversation without being bludgeoned over the head by the opinions of others. It's not the questioning, but the delivery.

I don't think that makes anyone a troll, but it does make me less likely to want to engage with them on any level in the future.

And Sherri, ITA. Walking away is the best option, because sometimes there is just no reconciliation. It's not the fault of either party, it just is what it is.

:)

message 10: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Jessica One thing I'm really enjoying about this group is the spirited discussion about STUFF WE DON'T LIKE in a way that really hasn't devolved into ad hominem attacks. Talking about how we don't like things (especially when other people do like them) can be very fraught, but this group has been notable for a distinct lack of stuff like "only an idiot would like that book" and so forth. Of course, there will always be people who feel hurt when someone disagrees with their taste, but that doesn't mean they're being attacked just because they're disagreed with, or have been challeged on their opinions. If you feel like this (and hell, sometimes we all just have days on which we feel more sensitive than usual), I don't understand what you would find appealing in a group devoted to slamming stuff we LOATHE. By its very definition, this is not going to be a sunshine and rainbows kind of discussion.

message 11: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) I'm not sure anyone was referring to sunshine and rainbows. Why must everything be so 'extreme'?

People can just agree to disagree. Hopefully.

Slamming books? Fine. Slamming people? Not fine.

I think that's all anyone was trying to say.

:)

message 12: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

David (david_giltinan) | 58 comments I'll second what Jessica says. Overall, I'm really enjoying the lively discussions in these threads - for some reason, framing the question in terms of "books I loathed" seems to induce people to be more specific about the causes of their dislikes and their likes. And, as others have noted, the more specific the discussion, the more interesting it terms to be.

I've also been impressed at the generally civilized tone of the discussions, which seem to me to be notably lacking in ad hominem (or ad feminam) attacks. For the record, I'll just say here that I hope my own passions haven't ended up offending anybody, if so, that certainly has not been, and is not my intent. (I have a weakness for hyperbole, on occasion) But I do enjoy a lively discussion!

message 13: by Norman (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Norman (normanince) | 48 comments Give me a good argument any day over everyone patting each other on the back and saying we're all good fellows. Differences of opinion are the spice of conversation, and a healthy sense of humor can help us digest almost any remarks made in response to what we write.

I've run out of metaphors related to eating, so I think I'll post this now while it's still fresh out of the oven. :)