American Gods: All Gaiman, All The Time discussion

Favorite Gaiman Book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) | 7 comments I know it's tough to choose, but what's your favorite Neil Gaiman book? To make it easier: favorite adult book, favorite childrens book, favorite graphic novel, favorite screenplay?

Adult: Probably American Gods. I've always loved mythology & this one has some gods I'm familiar with but MANY that I wasn't familiar with. It's the kind of book I would do research after reading (if I had the time, that is). There are some characters in there that I'd really love to investigate the stories behind. Does anyone know how many of them are based on real myths & how many he made up?

Childrens: Mmm. . . I think MirrorMask. The visuals are just too cool & the story is fantastic.

Graphic Novel: Sandman, all the way. I've read a few of his other graphic novels & enjoyed them, but nothing compares to Sandman. It's an epic story, & you really have to pay attention & think about it. I love it.

message 2: by Dan (last edited Apr 17, 2008 05:31PM) (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Adult: Anansi Boys at the moment. Neverwhere and Odd and the Frost Giants are close.

Childrens: Coraline. I like Mirror Mask but Coraline creeped me out.

Graphic Novel: Definitely Sandman. There's really nothing that compares. Hm. I suddenly feel like digging out all my Sandmann trades.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky | 2 comments I LOVE Neverwhere though I need to re read it!

Kids Wolves in the Walls and Coraline! I though Mirror Mask was creeper than Coraline!

message 4: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 8 comments I've probably got the biggest soft spot for Neverwhere. I love all of them, though. It's just Neverwhere's the first one I read, and I've got the novel, the graphic novel, the mini-series...

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (ravenusher) Hi I'm new to the group :)

Adult: American Gods; I loved the idea of what happens when the old cultures migrated and brought their gods to the 'new world'

Children's: I actually have only read MirrorMask; what would you recomend?

Graphic Novel: I loved the whole of the Sandman series, included the two books on Death - but I think my favorite is only half a graphic novel - The Dream Hunters. I love Japanese culture, and Yoshitaka Amano is one of my favorite Artists

Collection of Short Stories: Since he has put out a few, I think my favorite is Fragile Things. It just seems a bit darker than the rest.

message 6: by Dan (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:40AM) (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I'd say Fragile Things is my favorite short story collection. On the other hand, all of the stories in M For Magic can be found in other Gaiman collections except for the story from the Graveyard Book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Adult: Just to change things up i'm going to go for American Gods, for all the reason's everyone has said and because Shadow and Wednesday's relationship is fantastic.

Kids: Mirrormask

Grahpic Novel: Can I put the illustrated Stardust here? I dont care if i cant I'm going to anyway.

And I just want to add a load of love for the neverwhere TV series. It might not be what he wanted and it might be a bit naff in terms of production these days but Croup and Vandemar are still terrifying.

message 8: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 8 comments I love the tv series. Silly effects and stuff, but... It's still awesome.

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 3 comments MirrorMask is so engrossing. The visuals yes, and the depths of the characters.
Love Neverwhere.
And also, each and every Sandman.

message 10: by Dunkle (new)

Dunkle | 2 comments American Gods for me, It was the first book of his Ive read and I can't stop re-reading it. The imagery and the writing just takes e to a whole knew place and I can't put it down.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda There wasn't any other place to really put this comment, so I'll just stick it here. I just purchased Gaiman's Fragile Things on iTunes. I'm generally not a fan of audiobooks (I get distracted too easily, lose the narrative thread, and have to rewind--or whatever it is you do on an iPod), but I love to hear Gaiman read his own work. He's a wonderful storyteller, both in terms of the written and spoken word. It's also great fun to listen to a writer read his own work instead of someone else.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda And, while I'm here, American Gods is my favorite Gaiman book (although I still have to read Anansi Boys, so I may be back for an update to this comment at a later time--we'll see if it can claim the title of "favorite." I've been told that it can and will). The premise of American Gods is so clever and well done. I'm currently reading Gods Behaving Badly by someone-whose-name-I-can't-recall and, while it's cute, it can't hold a candle to Gaiman's intelligent and inventive take on mythology.

However, Neverwhere holds a special in my twisted little heart because it was the first Neil Gaiman book I ever read and I remember thinking, "Please, gods of literature, let there be more books written by this man!" And the gods were kind, and there were more books. And I rejoiced. I've gotten many a student hooked on Gaiman by introducing them to Neverwhere.

message 13: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 2 comments there was a Neverwhere TV series? When was it on? What channel. I only got into Neil Gaiman about a year ago with the Prophetic profecies of Anges Nutter, Stardust, and Neverwhere. Now I am getting into American Gods, Anansi Boys and Interface.

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 2 comments Wow, I meant the nice and accurate prophecies of Angnes Nuter, witch

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

the Neverwhere tv show was on the bbc in the uk during the ninties, you can get it on dvd on both sides of the pond. also there's a graphic novel version and there may be a film at some point made in conjunction with the jim henson company

message 16: by Chad (new)

Chad G (chadgo) | 1 comments
Favorite book - Neverwhere
Favorite Childrens Book - Coraline
Graphic Novel - Death: The High Cost of Living.

Also, I just read Fragile Things in the Spring and have to say that I loved almost every short story in the book!

message 17: by Aleta (new)

Aleta (aletamosquito) | 2 comments American Gods is definitely my favorite Gaiman book.

I've just started reading the Sandman books (so far only the first), and haven't read any of the other graphic novels.

I love Fragile Things, and "Instructions" is one of my favorite poems by anyone.

message 18: by Oona (new)

Oona Zbitkovskis (OonaZbitkovskis) | 6 comments I do love them all but adult I would have to say Neverwhere, simply for the answer given to the age old question "How old are you?". I do however, think that certain Gaiman books go with certain moods so I do tend to change. I really love The Graveyard Book what a great read. I have just started the Sandman graphic novels and am hoping that he is hard at work on something new for me!

message 19: by Rob (new)

Rob Kaas (robkaas) | 7 comments Such a hard question to answer, it really is.

It's probably a pretty even draw between American Gods and Neverwhere. I just cannot pick one over the other. They both touched me in very different ways.

Children's book, Coraline. Without a doubt.

Graphic novel: Sandman, absolutely.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (librarymom12) Let me preface this by saying that I've only started reading Gaiman in the last few years, so I've not had the opportunity to read a lot of his really good stuff, however:

Adult: I absolutely loved American Gods! Though I will say Anasazi Boys runs a very close second.

Children's: Coraline, and if you get a chance to hear him read it, do b/c it's fabulous.

Short Stories: Really liked Fragile Things, esp the story about the phoenix, but also his kid's short stories (Wolves in the Walls was fantastic)

Poems: I love his kid's poem Crazy Hair, it is so funny!

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (team-preston) American Gods. The rest were okay to good (IMO only), but American Gods blew my doors off.

message 22: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 6 comments I'm going to break with the pack and say Good Omens. It was a collaberation with Terry Pratchett, so it's not strictly a Gaiman book, but what a great story. The Opening Garden of Eden sequence is awesome, Crowley rules and they toy with the good and evil dichotomy in marvelous ways. American Gods is 2nd, and sandman is, of course, the graphic series of choice.

"God moves in extremely mysterious, not to say, circuitous ways. God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, [ie., everybody.:] to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

message 23: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 4 comments I haven't been able to decide yet on my Gaiman faves (too many good ones to choose from!), but I agree with what Fredstrong says about Good Omens (it has a special place in my literary heart, because it was the 1st Gaiman I actually read, I saw Mirrormask before that). Maybe it gets to be its own category, "Collaborations"?!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments At the moment Neverwhere is my favorite adult book. Far and above Sandman is my favorite of anything he has done. Children's work I would have to say MirrorMask, Coreline is just creepy. Great but creepy.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan (sfaltman) Such a hard choice...

Adult: I know it was Terry Pratchett, but I really adore Good Omens. I loved the characters, the humor, the storyline, everything! American Gods, Neverwhere, and Anansi Boys are pretty high up there as well, though.

Children: Coraline. I really look forward to the movie!

Graphic novel: I've only read Endless Nights fully. *Ashamed.* But I really loved it! I started Mr. Punch and The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes as well. I really wish my library had copies of the series...

message 26: by Bevin (new)

Bevin (graygrrrl) I fell in love reading the Death graphic novels, so they are definitly #1! My favorite book is Neverwhere. I really want to see the BBC production of it...come on Netflix, don't let me down!

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane (aludra) | 2 comments Faves:
Adult book: Neverwhere. It was my first Gaiman novel.

Stand alone illustrated book: Murder Mystery

Short Story: (Can't remember the exact title, but it's the one about Snow White)

Graphic novel: Sandman

Children's book: Mirror Mask

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela (happi_fishyahoocom) | 1 comments
Adult: Neverwhere. I couldn't put it down. :)

Children's: Coraline.

message 29: by Peanut (new)

Peanut Neverwhere. That is the first book I read and it sucked me right in. Since then I've tried to read as much of his stuff as possible. So far nothing compares to that book for me.

message 30: by J (new)

J | 3 comments I have quite a few that I like: Good Omens, American Gods, Stardust, Coraline, Neverwhere, The Dream Hunters. A lot of characters in these books stay with me and I go back to re-read often. I'm still halfway through Gaiman's Sandman series, but already I'm liking what I've read so far.

Pokątnik Złowieszczek | 1 comments I haven't read all his books yet but so far my favourite one is "American Gods"

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield did he just have a book published in the uk? is a novel or graphic novel?

message 33: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiedj) | 1 comments Neverwhere. It's the latest one I've read, and it was very interesting. Great world to get sucked into. I also like Stardust; I've read it about 3 times now, I think?

For childrens, definitely Coraline.

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina (vampirerevenant) Favorite adult book: It's a tie between American Gods and Good Omens, really. :)

Favorite childrens book: This one is a little tougher. I think I'm in love with Odd and the Frost Giants at the moment out of all of them. His own little Norse myth. <3

Favorite graphic novel: I cannot say for sure because I need to read a few more of these, but Sandman and the first of the Books of Magic series (never read the others because I heard they weren't as good, and his stands alone so well).

message 35: by David (new)

David Radspinner (nowtheworld336) | 1 comments Neverwhere is my pick for favorite, loved the whole London Below world, its crazy and awesome.

message 36: by I-love-green-apples! (last edited May 05, 2010 08:40AM) (new)

I-love-green-apples! (I-Love-Green-Apples) My favorite adult book is Good Omens, followed by The Graveyard Book and Anansi Boys. Crowley's terrified plants and the car on fire part still make me laugh every time I re-read it. (*awesome*)
About the graphic novel, I'll have to disagree with the mases and choose "The Books of Magic". I wouldn't even know who Neil Gaiman is if I hadn't read them, since his books aren't translated in my native language.

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments Blueberry Girl. And, I now gift it at baby showers where the expectant mother is having a girl.

message 38: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (xkellie_lx) | 1 comments Hmmmm either Neverwhere or American Gods- both AMAZING novels!

Neverwhere was the first Gaiman novel i read and i fell in love with it- annoying friends with recommendations, sending them copies etc.
I love the whole idea of London Below, when i see an empty tube train i smile to myself (very sad i know!)

message 39: by L (new)

L (rippleberry) | 1 comments Adult: American Gods
Children: Graveyard Book
Graphic Novel: I'm particularly fond of Dream Country and World's End.

message 40: by Ravis (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:27PM) (new)

Ravis Harnell (RavisHarnell) | 1 comments Hey guys, still feeling my way around the GoodReadsVerse.

Gotta agree with Kellie, tough call between American Gods and Neverwhere. American Gods is so impressive because it's so huge, and succeeds so hugely on that grand scale. Neverwhere is really imaginative and touching, and it was the first Gaiman book I ever read. Can't really decide, but my favorite character is probably Richard Mayhew, because he gets to experience something I've daydreamed about since I was a little kid.

message 41: by Jennifer Brown (new)

Jennifer Brown | 1 comments Hmmm! It's so hard to decide. I'd have to go with American Gods.

message 42: by Jack (new)

Jack moore (jackgaiman) | 1 comments adult:American gods
Child:Graveyard book
Graphic novel:This is a tough one but im gonna say sandman-men of good fortune. A short but powerful story that introduced robert gadling.

message 43: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1 comments Adult: Anansi Boys
Children: Wolves in the Walls - my 4yo son loves it too!
Short Story: Snow, Glass, Apples - this is definitely my favorite short story of all time.

haven't read the graphic novels yet, but i'll get there eventually!

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hi everyone!

I would have to say that my favorite adult novel is American Gods. It was the first book I read by Neil Gaiman and I still love it soooooo much!

Children's book would probably be The Graveyard Book. I just loved everything about that book!

Graphic Novel would be Sandman, hands down!

Short Story collection would be fragile things, though I did like Smoke and Mirrors.

message 45: by David (new)

David (wheldrake) | 5 comments It has to be American Gods for me. Anansi Boys was good, but 'Gods' had the scope and a majestic sweep to it that turned it into a stone cold classic. In any genre.

message 46: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments Adult: Stardust followed REALLY closely by Smoke and Mirrors (mainly the story of lucifer as an angel rocked balls)

Kids: Coraline or right now I'm crazy about Odd and the Frost Giants!

Don't rally care for Sandman even though I appreciate how amazing they are (just not into graphic novels) and thought Graveyard book kind of was his worst :-/

message 47: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments Nods to Neverwhere and Fagile Things though!

message 48: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Rodrigues (NatalieMay) | 1 comments Neverwhere! I must read it every few months...it makes me want to go down drains or through random doors down alley ways...you know- just incase! ;)

message 49: by annie (new)

annie  k (rawannie) Adult: currently reading Good Omens & it is absolutely *slaying* me, so it's my current favorite. Also, adored Fragile Things.

Children: (older) The Graveyard Book is my #1 & Odd and the Frost Giants is my #2
(younger) The Wolves in the Walls & Crazy Hair~ because mine is.

Graphic: The Sandman~ first thing I'd ever read of Gaiman's. Signal to Noise was utterly brilliant, also.

Screenplay: The Doctor's Wife!!! Liked Mirrormask, too...

I can never pick "a favorite" of anything...

message 50: by Maya (new)

Maya Panika Neverwhere is by far my favourite. I've always loved the concept of mirror worlds and Neverwhere did that with such originality and magic.

« previous 1