Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Newbie!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Hello! I just joined and I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. I'm only on Book 2 of the series but I'm in love already. I thought the Sookie Stackhouse series was awesome but I think I've found two new series I will stick with for a long time to come. I'm so happy there are so many books for me to explore from Laurell!

I hear there is a lot of sex in the later books. I typically hate that sort of stuff but from what I read online, it seems to be significant to the story. If that's so, I'll be a fan for a long time coming. I read her blog about the negative fans and I'd never go to someone's personal space to rag on them. How rude. Just don't read them or just skip over the raunchy part, I say!

Well this is long enough. Just saying hi! Hope to meet some cool people and have a great time talking about Anita.

message 2: by Acg2003 (new)

Acg2003 | 24 comments Hello, Ranata.

I want to say that I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse series!!! Also, if you haven't already read them....another great series is the Vampire Huntress series by LA Banks. Her books are awesome and she is one of my favs right now behind LKH.

I haven't posted anything in a long time, but I just wanted to to chime in on the sex stuff. While, I personally would never be one to "rag" on LKH, I will admit that some of the sex in the later books took over the complete story and became old, very fast. I'm in no way a prude and I will admit that she sure knows how to write a sex scene, but it just seem to consume the story to the point that there was no other plot.

Example...It was like...."Hey Anita, the bad guys are busting in the door".....Anita - "Well that will have to wait, because I have to feed the arduer." LOL!!

I'm going to read her books regardless, but I did enjoy "The Harlequin", because it seemed the the sex to second stage to the story itself, which is how she wrote in the earlier books. I've also read that "Blood Noir" is supposed to be like that too and I can't wait.

message 3: by Cat Singh (last edited Apr 18, 2008 01:43PM) (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments Hey Ranata,
About the sex, i'm just rereading the series, and i know you're on book two, so i don't want to spoil anything. But i just wanted to say, reading them over again, at least in cerulean sins, i could see how the sex was important to the story, and getting to know the backgrounds and abilities of the vampires. There was a lot of negative feedback from "fans" (and i use that term loosely in this case) about cerulean sins/incubus dreams, but for how awesome the whole series is, and how it develops after, i think those "fans" should get over it....

message 4: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 71 comments I Second Cat's comment. The sex may take over some of the plots, but it BECOMES the plot and you should see why...it is intrical to the long term plot development so stick it out if it starts to be a bit much for you it is WELL worth it!!! Happy Reading!!!

message 5: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments Hello Newbie! Can't wait to hear your thoughts about the Anita Blake series. Like Cat, I find myself rereading certain books over and finding a deeper appreciation for why Hamilton wrote Anita the way she did. She took a person who saw "black and white" and helped her enjoy the gray. Like you, I don't need hot, pointless, sex scenes to be interested in a novel. The sex scenes in the Blake series are definately necessary to the character's development. You'll see. Or maybe you won't! Either way I am curious to hear your thoughts!

message 6: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I love the Sookie Stackhouse series as well. I'd love to see a cross over between Anita and Sookie.

So I'm just about finishing up circus of the damned and i'm debating to continue the series since I know what to expect. Thanks for the positive feedback. I look forward to being in the group!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Richard (christine1774) | 8 comments I have only benn able to read the first book in the Southern Vampire Series, but I love it already. I have also read 1 of the L A Banks books, which was very good. Maybe some of you ladies would enjoy ready Kim Harrison if you don't know her stuff yet. She has a world kinda similar to Anita's, in that all critters like vamps, werewolfs, witches, demons, pixies, etc, etc exsist. It is a very, very good series. It starts with Dead Witch Walking.
As for all the "fans" that complained about the sex, I am not sure if the invested themselves in trying to understand that it is part of the plot. I even agree that I needed a break from it, (the sex), it still was part of the overall plot.

message 8: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Christine, I don't understand why sex should ever become a whole plot unless you have no imagination what so ever. Anita doesn't even seem sexual in the first couple of books and then she's having threesomes and orgies in later books with EVERYBODY she ever meets? I don't understand what kind of development could come from that but I'm only on Book 4 so what do I know? I just think that's pretty lame to relay on sex for an either plot.

message 9: by Aliya (new)

Aliya Schwerner I have to tell you, everybody complains about the sex, but I love the sex. ;)

message 10: by Danni (new)

Danni Jones (dannijones) | 5 comments I don't think it so much consumes the plot, as much as it is strong character development. As someone stated before, in the beginning of the series, Anita was a naive (as far as sexual/relationship) and prejudiced character. Vampires, no matter who the author, are portrayed as very sexual beings. To become a part of their world and a part of their lives, she had to face experiences that each of them has had at some point in their lives. She had to embrace these parts of her life to become a more accepting of a culture she is now a part of. I think it gives her character more depth and is showing the evolution of her psyche. Also, LKH can write some killer sex scenes.

message 11: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I'm glad that someone enjoys the sex in books. I wish I did but I could never get into that type of stuff. I love having sex but I just don't like reading alot of it, especially if it's pointless to the plot. I understand the sex becomes the plot but um, if you have so little imagination that you have to base your entire book around screwing (excuse my french) then something's not right.

message 12: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Danni, I heard the sex scenes were subpar at best.

I'll just have to be the judge of that, LOL.

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Well I guess I'll throw my two cents into this conversation.
Welcome Ranata. I do hope you end up liking the rest of the series. I totally agree that the sookie stackhouse southern vampire series is awesome. I can't wait for true Blood the show on HBO that is based of the series comes out.
As far as the Anita Blake series, The series has developed into something that is at times alot more about Anita's relationships than other things. Which is alright with me. Anita loves all of her men and wishes to keep them happy and yes that does involove sex. According to Laurell's blogs she was a bit squemish when she first started writing the sex scenes but as the series progressed she started to feel more abandoned and capable of writing those secens. I think Laurell's lack of squeamishness about sex began to show in the series and Anita is begining to show the same acceptance that Laurell has. Anita changes as a character as the series progresses, which is a goal that any good author should achieve for. Anita changes from the prudish sort of girl to someone who feels a sense of freedom and as a result becomes happier. She feels more comfortable in her sexuality now and as a result is a happier person. I believe this freedom that Anita experiences later on in the series should be embraced by more people, because perhaps if we can be honest with who we are as a person sexually or not we can began to grow and become more balanced and well adjusted human beings.
Anita is begining to get her life together and realizing what it is she needs to do to be happy. Once she is at peace and she can control the arduer and numerous other powers she has she becomes a more kick ass vampire slayer who has one hell of a fight coming up with "mommy dearest" Anita is getting all of her relationship stuff settled and ready (which makes her more powerful) and she will be kicking more ass along the way.
ok talk to you all later.
Stacy

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Richard (christine1774) | 8 comments I agree with what you are saying here. Vampires have always been portrayed as sexual beings, and anyone that is going to read stories about them needs to understand that.
Also, to Ranata, I never said the sex is the plot, but it is part of the plot. If you do not like to read about sex. then LKH books are not for you.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) I think the sex scenes are pretty much integral to the plot - with feeding the ardeur and all. The only time that I have said, "O.k., enough with the sex already" in this series was when I was reading Danse Macabre. But it still didn't make me put the book down. LKH is amazing! And I will continue on with this series until the story is over.

message 16: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I don't like to read about gratutious sex. Sex is fine. I have sex so what's the big deal about reading it but if it takes over the plot and the main character just basically turns into a slut, i'm not into that.

With that said, I will continue until I get to the point where I feel like I don't like the series anymore. If I don't get there, great but it just sucks to have to start and then stop because there's no plot anymore.

message 17: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments So i think that the point that needs to be made it where there is a lot of sex in cerulean sins, incubus dreams and danse macabre (some more than others) it is important to realize that JC's power is based on sex. As is Belle Morte. Anita being a new "vampire" has no handle on these new abilities and hungers. It makes sense that for a couple books she's out of control. She has to learn control like everyone. It would have made me mad if she *poof* had power and *poof* knew exactly what to do about it. She's learning, and by The Harlequin, is much better at understanding the power that she holds.
The sex is not going to go away, it's a part of the power that they have. Just like some of the vamps can feed off fear, and rot on you (and there were books that had a lot of descriptive gore) Anita and JC have their power. And really i prefer it to the rotting kind. All the metaphysical sex was for a reason, and if you can get through a few books that might make you squeamish with lust (is it even possible) you will enjoy seeing Anita conquer even herself.
GO ANITA!

message 18: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 71 comments PUUUUUURRRFECTLY put Cat :)

That is by far the best explaination of Anita's sex issues.

message 19: by Ranata (last edited Apr 29, 2008 12:37PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I can deal with descriptive violence because her job is violent.

And she turns into a vampire?! I'm only one book 4! I only know who Belle Morte is because I've been reading summaries. I really am only on the part where she's dating Richard.

i'll come back to the group once I've gotten thru the rest of the series. If I get thru the rest of the series, that is.

Thank you for all the discussion about it. I appreciate that and even though I know what to expect, I'll keep going until I can't go anymore! LOL

Thanks again!

message 20: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments no she doesn't turn into a vamp.
and that's all i'm going to say.
I forgot that you ahdn't gotten very far, and i refuse to spoil anything.
so happy reading!
we look forward to hearing from you!

message 21: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited May 29, 2008 07:31PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Finally fans who understand that the sex is part of Anita developing. I have read so many neg comments about ppl giving up on the series b/c of the sex.I love it not b/c i love reading erotica but b/c it shows how Anita has let down inhibitions and has allowed her self to love and be loved.